Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to install a GPS and had the Indian tech run the power cord from inside the nacelle as I am not an electrician. This morning, I discovered that he did not leave enough slack in the cord.

How hard is it to open up the nacelle to reach the cord and get some slack and then close that nacelle up again? I see the 2 screws on the top.....

Any helpful advise would be appreciated.

Kathy

·
Registered
163 Posts
I believe it also requires loosening two bolts on each side of the nacelle, which secure the aux light bar (at least it does on my SF). Once off, the two halves can separate. Reassembling the unit solo can be a real pain. If possible, first try and turn the front wheel completely to the side and try to follow the wires from the gps back to the attachment point (hopefully the tech just zip-tied the slack into a bundle, which you can free up). A small mirror and flashlight may help.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did try to stick my fingers into the nacelle, both from the front and from the back side down by the neck but cannot get anywhere close to them. I appreciate the info. I'll have a friend provide an extra set of hands before I try anything with it.

Kathy

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
The nacelle unbolts from inside as well as those two top screws.

Turn the bars fully to the left. You will see two screws way inside on the right, high up and lower down. They are awkward to get to. Unscrew them.

Turn the bars to the right and find the two screws inside on the left. Remove them.

Now you need to be careful as the nacelle is heavy and it's best to have another person to hold it. Unscrew the two top screws and pull the nacelle away from the bike.

When you are replacing it you need extra care as those inside screws chew the threads out very easily. Once again, another person is handy to hold the nacelle in position. Loosely fit the top screws.

Loosely fit the right side screws and tighten them about halfway so they are loose. Do the other side the same.
Once all screws are positioned properly and not cross-threaded, tighten them up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts