Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to replace my 2014 Chief Vintage handlebars. I like the looks of the bars on the new Springfield. Are they the same bend of bars that the dark horse has? Also can Indians new mid rise bars fit the Vintage? The Indian website says no but I'm not so sure. I wonder if we can buy the bars offered on the Springfield. Any ideas are appreciated.

·
Rider
410 Posts
Great topic... Two things really stood out to me with this introduction... The bars AND that seat. Looks like it has the rider sitting back another inch or so. Or at least not so close to the tank. It's like Indian had a response to the aftermarket (Corbin, Mustang, etc.). I could be wrong, but that seat looks much roomier than the Chieftain seat. We shall see.

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
Great topic... Two things really stood out to me with this introduction... The bars AND that seat. Looks like it has the rider sitting back another inch or so. Or at least not so close to the tank. It's like Indian had a response to the aftermarket (Corbin, Mustang, etc.). I could be wrong, but that seat looks much roomier than the Chieftain seat. We shall see.
Wondering if you could fit it onto the Chieftain

>--------> >--------> >-------->

Live Free and Die Well

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
Tried to buy them today.....I went by the dealer and the "Rams Horn" Springfield bars are not in the system as of yet. The dealer may be able to contact Polaris and order through the back door until they show up on the parts database however.
I did not pursue any further than that for now but will look into it further when I return from Daytona.. Also, there is no hard bag assembly listed as of yet either but the rumor mill was saying they should be offering them as well as the trunk as stand alone assemblies soon. Time will tell.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a similar concern for the RoadMaster. Does anyone know whether the new Springfield handlebars will fit the RM? Are they as long or longer than the extender handlebars for the RM? I would prefer bars that would face toward the tank versus palm down facing.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Tried to buy them today.....I went by the dealer and the "Rams Horn" Springfield bars are not in the system as of yet. The dealer may be able to contact Polaris and order through the back door until they show up on the parts database however.
I did not pursue any further than that for now but will look into it further when I return from Daytona.. Also, there is no hard bag assembly listed as of yet either but the rumor mill was saying they should be offering them as well as the trunk as stand alone assemblies soon. Time will tell.

Hi Blueshwk,

I skip by this forum now and then as mostly troll "another" Indian forum. But the Springfield news got me all jacked up. You are correct. My parts guy says there will be a retrofit hard bag kit showing up "soon"? Otherwise, there might be an Indian "uprising" with the release of the Springfield for early adopters who wanted HB on their Heritage bikes from Polaris. Personally, the Springfield was the bike I wanted when I bought my Chieftain because it would have cost me nearly 3K just to put Hard bags on a Classic. Cast wheels, Blackwall tires, Hard bags, Air Shock, and now it's here. Going to the shop today "just to look"............I do really love my Chieftain though, and would have to trade as I'm a guy who has always lived over his head.....................

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,041 Posts
Howdy Folks,
I like the look of the Springfield bars, and if they will fit a Chieftain I'd seriously think about mounting some. When I traded my '09 Street Glide for Chieftain #873 one of the few things that I didn't really care for was the palms-down handlebar position of the Chieftain, I much preferred the palms-angled-in Street Glide bars. I'll be at Black Gold Indian in Odessa next week, maybe the'll have a Springfield on hand and I can check it out. If they feel right I may plan to change mine, although I've gotten used to the Chieftain bars (nothing's ever perfect, is it).
--- Randall

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the great input everyone. So the Springfield has "Rams horn bars". I'm pretty excited about this development. I also liked the ape hangers Indian offers but the bend just isn't quite what I want. You gotta hand it to Harley they do have great handlebars on stock bikes. I'll bet the new Rams Horns will fit the Vintage with stock cables and wires. These are good times to have an Indian. Looking for more info.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Sat on one today, they only had the one so no test ride, the seat does allow about an inch of extra distance from the tank and the handlebars are nothing less than the perfect bars for me. I think I've got too much money into my Vintage to trade it but I'll be having a set of those bars.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I got to check out a Springfield today and I have to get those Ram Horn bars for my Vintage. They are perfect! I wonder if the brake line, clutch cable and wiring will work without replacement or modification. I was very impressed with the Springfield but not enough to trade.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I ha e a Springfield and I actually like everything about the handle bars. I'm 6'1" and they fit me perfect. The seat, not so much, but the bars are fantastic. However, does anyone know what size those bars are? 1.25?

·
Founding member / rider
895 Posts
When I did my short test ride the other day on the Springfield, the handle bars were very comfortable, so much so that I did not even think about them after a little while. Perfect for doing tight figure 8's in the parking lot and perfect for cruising along. The highest speed I hit was only 80 due to the heavy traffic but perfect for the bike.

My Road King setting just behind the Springfield

·
Registered
20 Posts
I want to replace my 2014 Chief Vintage handlebars. I like the looks of the bars on the new Springfield. Are they the same bend of bars that the dark horse has? Also can Indians new mid rise bars fit the Vintage? The Indian website says no but I'm not so sure. I wonder if we can buy the bars offered on the Springfield. Any ideas are appreciated.
I agree with you. When I purchased my Vintage, I asked about the Springfield bars and was that at this time they were unavailable.
I'm sure that was because the bike was just into production. I'm sure they will be available soon. I'm having the Stage 2 work done
in 3 weeks (cams/exhaust/breather) guess I'll ask the bars too.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Just bought '17 Springfield. I'm 6'3" and had to have the bars raised up about 2". When I tried to go full left or full right with the bars, the clutch or brake levers were hitting my thighs. They are not hitting my thighs now. FWIW.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts