Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya,

I am about to bite the bullet and buy a Springfield, but I am still hesitating, therefore I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Should I:

1) buy a '17 model (EMEA regulations and Euro what-not limitations) - the torque/BHP is much lower than the '18's, but obviously it is a bit cheaper and from the savings I can add stage I/II, to match the '18's performance?

2) go with the '18 model and instead of "investing" in stage I/II, just get the bike with max specs out the door?

What would You do?

Thanks and I do appreciate your inputs.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Aargow;

It seems, "they" want to protect us so bad around here, that we wont be able to modify our motorcycles any more.
I've been told, that Indian/Polaris is not allowed to sell OEM performance parts for the '18+ models, so probably you are right. The best choice is to get the latest stock bike, or risk the "off road only" aftermarket additions..
I can only hope, they wont confiscate my new bike if I add a "performance" gremlin bell to it ;)

cheers.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
If our EPA has its way, we are not far behind you.
Mostly just personal preference, for me. After many years of modifying and tinkering, I'd rather get the power I'm looking for from the stock bike.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your advice/preference is very sensible.
The tinkering times seem to be over and need to get on with the stock. But hey, lets cheer up, the cosmetic changes are still allowed. For now...

·
Rider
418 Posts
The question to ask is do you like the looks of the standard air filter.
And you can always knock the extra blanking plates out of the back of the '17 air filter.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The question to ask is do you like the looks of the standard air filter.
And you can always knock the extra blanking plates out of the back of the '17 air filter.
Uh, yes good point. The bedpan must go at one point ;)

So is that simple? ie: to just knock that plastic plate out of the filter? I remember the thread on it a while back (you guys were talking about it), but didn't know you found the solution.

Aargow had a good point about tinkering. It isn't rewarded any more (+regulations), however if that little piece of plastic is the key, then the '17 seem to be a better deal.

Did you remove it?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hi Russ
The indian dealer I use informed me that stage's will not be available through the Uk network from Dec 17, this is due to them not meeting the latest emission regs, if you get a 17, use the money saved to buy a K&N filter for the std air box remove the int'l parts from the box, put slipons on, and get a pvcx from fuel moto, these extras shouldn't cost more than £1k is you shop around
The filter cost me £65
Slipons ( V&H ) $299 + p&p + tax = £400
Pvcx $380 + p&p + tax = £450
Just get the colour you want, then sort the bike out
Ride Safe

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Russ
The indian dealer I use informed me that stage's will not be available through the Uk network from Dec 17, this is due to them not meeting the latest emission regs, if you get a 17, use the money saved to buy a K&N filter for the std air box remove the int'l parts from the box, put slipons on, and get a pvcx from fuel moto, these extras shouldn't cost more than £1k is you shop around
The filter cost me £65
Slipons ( V&H ) $299 + p&p + tax = £400
Pvcx $380 + p&p + tax = £450
Just get the colour you want, then sort the bike out
Ride Safe
Wow..

Thanks so much!

Talked to a dealer and he told me exactly the same ie: no stage's available after Dec (hence I opened the thread).
I was thinking along the line of these modifications like filter, slipons, etc in the future.
Now however, after you gents helped me out, I know, that the part removal from the filter actually sorts out my problem (euro-what-not restrictions).

You didn't even need stage 2 cams? (it would be nice to have, as I heard from others around here, but frankly, I'd rather spend the cost of it on petrol -at least for now).

As for colour, I only can see the blue/silver '17's lately for sale. It isn't my colour choice, but might as well just settle with that and custom paint it *after* the upcoming riding season ;)

good man! (and thanks to all of you, I appreciate your help)

keep the shiny side up and ride safe

cheers

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hiya;

Would any of you Springfield owners be kind and let me know the minimum (stripped down if have to) measures (width) of a springfield?
I need to know if I can get it through the gate for now (semi-detached), or I need to rent a garage before the delivery.
My gate is about 29-30 inches wide. Do you think it will be possible to push it through that small gate somehow?

ta

·
Registered
156 Posts
A Springfield stripped down would leave the handlebars as the widest point: they're approx 39", a bit more if you don't loosen and move the mirrors. I don't believe one could easily wriggle a bike that heavy through.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I planned to put the bike on a dolly and push it in. (I agree with you, the weight will be an issue).
I think the handle bar's width is fine, because of the alley is wider than the gate and can wiggle the bike a bit (with my current bikes I do the same).
However, if I stripped it down and eg: the tank, or any other part is wider then say 27-28 inches then I guess, it's a no-go.

cheers

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Smith, for checking it.
It's tight, but I think I am gonna give it a try and see.
Cheers.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes there is a gate, but unfortunately it is a shared alley to our gardens and I only can go so far, maybe another inch or so.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts