Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Springfield. The original owner put the sissy bar with back pad and a rear rack on it. My bags are about 2/3 full with stuff like an air pump, first aid kit, rainsuits, tinted face shields, etc., so I was looking at sissy bar bags for a weekend getaway with my wife. The manuals says the weight limit on the rear rack is 5 pounds. That won't carry much of anything. Is that a typo?

·
Registered
89 Posts
It is probably not a typo. Just a way of avoiding litigation. We Americans will sue for any reason.
I bought the Indian brand backrest without the rack. It’s very sturdy. A grown person can lean back on it without fear. I am betting if you are not going to carry bowling balls or bricks you can get away with enough stuff for two people for two nights.

·
Rider
756 Posts
It is probably not a typo. Just a way of avoiding litigation. We Americans will sue for any reason.
I bought the Indian brand backrest without the rack. It’s very sturdy. A grown person can lean back on it without fear. I am betting if you are not going to carry bowling balls or bricks you can get away with enough stuff for two people for two nights.
I agree with @wamerrell
These stated weight limits are just plain ridiculous. This has to be for Polaris to (stupidly) avoid problems with people putting too much on them, but it is a long way off their reasonable capacity.
I have seen them loaded up in all sorts of photos on this forum and plenty of riders have said they have gone on very long trips, fully loaded, with no problems at all.
It will be a common sense thing. If you think you are putting too much weight on it, you are probably getting close.
If you are looking at buying any sort of biker's bag that will actually fit onto the rack and you fill it up with 'normal' travel stuff, you will be absolutely fine.

p.s. This is not to be taken as legal advice by the OP or any other person herewith-in. It is therefore assumed that you will indemnify the author against any loss or damage (real or otherwise) arising from the information provided by the author contained within this post... ;):LOL:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a 2017 Springfield. The original owner put the sissy bar with back pad and a rear rack on it. My bags are about 2/3 full with stuff like an air pump, first aid kit, rainsuits, tinted face shields, etc., so I was looking at sissy bar bags for a weekend getaway with my wife. The manuals says the weight limit on the rear rack is 5 pounds. That won't carry much of anything. Is that a typo?
Thank you, Sir.

·
Silver member
5,027 Posts
Here's mine loaded up for a cross country trek. Never had an issue...
Gear.jpg

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks good. I hope to have my wife on the passenger seat, so I won't be able to put the large bag on there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts