Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Rider
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well 2019 - 2020 wasn't all that much of a winter but as of today it is in the rear view mirror and I am delighted. Here in southern Arizona we can ride about 350 days a year so winter never shuts us out for long but Spring just gets more awesome every day. I've been laying low at home supporting the self isolation/Coronavirus thing but jumping on the Springfield for a nice spirited ride brings me in close contact with no one.

One mile from my driveway I hit AZ 77 and 2 miles north of that AZ 79 spits off to the northwest towards Florence. Both roads at this point become two lane twisties with some pretty decent views thrown in. This was taken at a roadside table {wide spot on 79 about 5 miles from home}, that is Mt Lemon in the background (9,200'+} with a nice fresh dusting of new snow from last night:

We live at the foot of the mountain at 3,300'. It is amazing what what a brisk ride {the speed limit is 65... draw your own conclusions} can do to cleanse ones soul. :cool:

·
Rider
972 Posts
Great to hear. Wish I was there. Spring has sprung here in PA too but not to that degree. When I was out in Colorado you could get about 350 days of sunshine IIRC and could always ride. Winter here was not too bad this year and I almost rode year round with the exception of some snow and salt that halted the rides.

Definitely can't catch COVID-19 from riding. Maybe bike sales will go up after the dust settles.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Happy Vernal Equinox, all!
With California under statewide lockdown, I’m wondering if I can still go for a ride just for the sake of the ride. It’s still ok for folks to go running or walking or walk the dog, for both physical and mental health.

If I got pulled over during a ride, could I explain to the gendarme that I am riding for my mental, and therefore physical, health? And that as long as I’m riding (full face helmet and gloves mind you) I can neither get nor transmit Covid-19?:unsure:

·
Bronze member
1,324 Posts
Well 2019 - 2020 wasn't all that much of a winter but as of today it is in the rear view mirror and I am delighted. Here in southern Arizona we can ride about 350 days a year so winter never shuts us out for long but Spring just gets more awesome every day. I've been laying low at home supporting the self isolation/Coronavirus thing but jumping on the Springfield for a nice spirited ride brings me in close contact with no one.

One mile from my driveway I hit AZ 77 and 2 miles north of that AZ 79 spits off to the northwest towards Florence. Both roads at this point become two lane twisties with some pretty decent views thrown in. This was taken at a roadside table {wide spot on 79 about 5 miles from home}, that is Mt Lemon in the background (9,200'+} with a nice fresh dusting of new snow from last night:

View attachment 580581

We live at the foot of the mountain at 3,300'. It is amazing what what a brisk ride {the speed limit is 65... draw your own conclusions} can do to cleanse ones soul. :cool:
So, evidently it hasn't been raining pretty steady down there in southern AZ and like it has been up north here in Sedona these past few days, eh Steve?!

Well, word is tomorrow this continual downpour we've had up here will cease, and so hopefully I'll be able to hop on my Springfield and ride that half hour down to Cottonwood for my usual Friday tennis matches.

(...nice pic here, btw)

·
Registered
375 Posts
Happy Vernal Equinox, all!
With California under statewide lockdown, I’m wondering if I can still go for a ride just for the sake of the ride. It’s still ok for folks to go running or walking or walk the dog, for both physical and mental health.

If I got pulled over during a ride, could I explain to the gendarme that I am riding for my mental, and therefore physical, health? And that as long as I’m riding (full face helmet and gloves mind you) I can neither get nor transmit Covid-19?:unsure:
Took advantage today in sunny NorCal to take the warhorse out for a spin through the Motherlode....
Funny thing happened on the way to the forum, as I was blissfully clicking through the gears on a favorite straight I ran up on a CHiPpy chilling in the shade. I was easily doing 25 over and headed for 5th when that
"Oh snap, I'm busted" feeling washed over me.... only to see the officer stick his hand out the window and employ the international arm gesture to slow down.
Guess I got the COVID pass with a little hurry on home for quarantine now routine....

Great day to be out on the bike!

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

·
Rider
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OP here... Spoke with a friend who has been self isolated for years due to neurological issues. Haven't seen him for a few months so after a phone call I decided to pay him a visit. He lives 90 miles up the road in Mesa and it was a great ride... mid 60's and not much traffic with a lot of AZ 79 two lane. The recent storms have left a lot of snow on the higher peaks and the local rivers are running higher than I have ever seen.

We spent a couple of hours sitting on his porch catching up {no hugs or handshakes} but a great time. It is amazing what a brisk 180 mile ride will do for your soul especially after sharing some time with a brother. It is suppose to be mid 70's + tomorrow so methinks some more riding will be in order. For those of you not so climatologically blessed hang in there... spring really is coming.

(y)

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,806 Posts
Being as it's Ohio and the month of March a warm and/or dry enough day to go for a ride is a hit & miss proposition. Today is the 21st and the extended weather forecast shows 4 days ahead fit for riding in March. Wednesday of next week and the following Sunday,Monday & Tuesday which is the 31st.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Great to hear. Wish I was there. Spring has sprung here in PA too but not to that degree. When I was out in Colorado you could get about 350 days of sunshine IIRC and could always ride. Winter here was not too bad this year and I almost rode year round with the exception of some snow and salt that halted the rides.

Definitely can't catch COVID-19 from riding. Maybe bike sales will go up after the dust settles.
Just make sure you don't sneeze...

·
Administrator
14,664 Posts
Two-day snowstorm here in Colorado. The warmth between storms gradually increases this time of year, tho so the number of rides we can sneak in also gradually increases. I posted a photo last year from May 21 that had about eight inches of fresh snow on the deck...

·
Rider
972 Posts
Just make sure you don't sneeze...
Wow! Luckily where I ride there are no busy streets. Only fresh air surrounded by beautiful forest and nature. Amen!

Oh and social distancing is about as far as you can get away from someone. Most of the time I don't even see another vehicle or person. Good to live by a State Forest.

·
Bronze member
1,918 Posts
Road 85 miles to one of my favorite restaurants, stuffed my face and road home. Kept socially distant while eating. Only 2 others in the whole place. Bikers too. A cool 62 degrees when I left and 80 degrees when I got home. Back to the honey-dos today.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Being as it's Ohio and the month of March a warm and/or dry enough day to go for a ride is a hit & miss proposition. Today is the 21st and the extended weather forecast shows 4 days ahead fit for riding in March. Wednesday of next week and the following Sunday,Monday & Tuesday which is the 31st.
🤞May the Forecast Be With You!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts