Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
141 - 160 of 226 Posts

·
Founding member / aka Husky Davidson. 10/09/14
1,823 Posts
I had such a bad experience with focus groups in the past. I'm in product development (on the engineering side) and have seen marketing teams talking about how to skew the focus group output towards their pre-determined outcome. Attempts to improve core business and reinforce the status quo almost always end up in failure, but it stems from really bad upper-level management. On the other side, I was providing feedback in a focus group where the host was heavily pressing the group towards certain industry tropes. I was disgusted and made it openly known, highlighting their tactics for the rest of the group. I was kicked out. This is exactly what FortNine was talking about here:
Fortnine is like BMW’s R nineT .. funny, Polaris plagiarized that marketing idea also.

I was sold on the Scout Idea.. So much that I tried to buy one.
But after many hours of visually studying the bike I found that the construction was very “Industrial” looking for lack of better words.
Fit and finishes were not there.. you get what you pay for I guess.
Polaris’s “cost vs quality” quotient heavily favors return on their investment, not the product they deliver to the customer.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,989 Posts
Here is Harley's answer to the Scout. Pretty pricey though, seems like they still have some issues finding a pulse on the younger buyer's market. Maybe some cheaper models will follow. Love to sit back and enjoy the competition. The tail light and license plate holder really seems to be an afterthought. Dean

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Who is copying who now? In Canada it starts at $18 K. Pass. Thankfully there's no $2K Dealey tax now.
Big improvement I have to say. Nice luxury Sportster with a "cruiser" engine. We will see if the HD crowd buy into it. History says it's done within 3 years
HD crowd don't like change.

2014 Indian Chieftain

·
Founding Member / Distinguished
4,670 Posts
Who is copying who now? In Canada it starts at $18 K. Pass. Thankfully there's no $2K Dealey tax now.
Big improvement I have to say. Nice luxury Sportster with a "cruiser" engine. We will see if the HD crowd buy into it. History says it's done within 3 years

2014 Indian Chieftain
On the video the of styling said this. a first and they wanted to make it the wildest. He then goes on to say other that more classic Sportstes models will follow

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
On the video the of styling said this. a first and they wanted to make it the wildest. He then goes on to say other that more classic Sportstes models will follow

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
HD has to do it. Emissions is killing their small bikes. Good stuff.

2014 Indian Chieftain

·
Registered
297 Posts

2014 Indian Chieftain
This is what Base sportster will look like and if its at a lower price it will go head to head with the scout

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,989 Posts

2014 Indian Chieftain
Yeah but I don't think they are looking at the normal "Harley" crowd. This is looking at a new market to bring younger riders in. The V rod had some serious identity crisis going on. They tried to blend both worlds together in one bike, cruiser and sport bike. This is their answer to the Scout without a doubt but they will need some stripped down versions to help put them in the price range that the younger gen is looking for. Time will tell. Dean

·
Bronze member
3,504 Posts
everyone seems to be comparing the Sportster S to the FTR... based on cost and engine numbers... the review I seen never took into count handling but whatever... it's a step in the right direction for HD IMO..
p.s. the base Sportster looks a hell of a lot better to me

Reactions: muz

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just got done reading about the sportster s and this is my 2¢. On paper it sounds like a hell of a ride, in regards to performance. The seat and riding position look like they’d be painful after a few miles. If I had the dough I’d consider it, to add but not replace my scout.

Personally I don’t think it resembles a sportster except for it being a v twin, the tank capacity/ its modern updated peanut like shape, the turn signals shape/ size, the size of the bike, the forward foot controls, and that they call it a sportster. So beyond that it doesn’t look, perform ie lean angle (I assume), or ride ie the feel (I assume) like a sportster. I think it should’ve just been a new model. Then again that didn’t work out so well for them with the V-rod. I’m not comparing the vrod to a sportster, two very different beast, just pointing out change in the H-D community hasn’t been that accepting of change even if it’s to make a better bike.

I think the exhaust is god awful looking, even if they did make it a whole new model vs them keeping in the sportster family. (I read elsewhere about they were killing the sportster outside the USA due to emissions). I think The trask 2-1 exhaust for the scout would suit it much better. The other thing I’d do is put mid if not rear foot controls because this thing would look better and ride better, the bike says performance vtwin and foward foot controls on it seems dumb imo.

if I look at it, past the exhaust, it looks like a good looking performance vtwin but if I look at it like a sportster it looks ugly af.

I hope they sale well, I assume they will, my only worry is the hard headed H-D riders are going to treat it like they did the v rod because of its styling. However riders closer to my age and younger aren’t as bad with change and accepting it (some older ‘cats’ are fine with change too), especially when it’s for better/ more performance and reliability. I do prefer the retro styling of my scout though and I can live with or without the new tech (like The speedo), both the scout and sportsters need more fuel capacity though.

I hope this makes indian make a more performance oriented scout but keeps the retro look. I’d Want more lean angle, more fuel capacity, take or leave the new speedo (nav is the only big draw for me personally), bigger displacement (or at the very least a big bore kit). I don’t think any of my wish list will happen though, because I don’t see the sportster S as in competition with the scout really, they’re too different of bikes. The old sportsters are only really comparable to the scout in their retro styling and size imo.

I can’t afford any new or old bike, so ultimately it really doesn’t matter for me. I’d definitely take the sportster s for a rip though! (If I could afford it I’d definitely pick it over the live wire even if the LW was cheaper) this new sportster s is the direction H-D needs to go with though. In regards to the price tag I think it’s pretty fair for what you get compared to the other sportster trims at a similar price point. Still a little high imo but by no means ridiculous like other models. (Anything over 20k for a motorcycle is ridiculous to me. 15k being my realistically/ can barley afford to finance after tag, tax, and title. Even if I had the money to blow I wouldn’t buy a motorcycle for 25k and up, especially for a stock one I don’t care what features it has or who makes it or how fast it can go. It’d have to float on water and fly too, for those prices!!!)
I ride a 2020 Scout Bobber, and after over 3K in mods I finally have it dialed in. As for the Sportster S, I think it looks good except for that hideous exhaust. It’s like a beautiful woman with a broken nose. But at least HD put a water cooled engine in it, unlike the Chief lineup that in my opinion just went backwards.

·
Registered
2021 Scout Bobber Twenty
31 Posts
People are comparing it to the FTR because of the specs and price and ergonomics. You guys are forgetting about the Scout Sixty, which is $2000 less than even a Scout and $5000 less than the Sportster S. The Scout and Scout Sixty compete with the Sportster 1200 and Sportster 883, at a price point that starts $5000 less than a Sportster S. I don't see how they can close that gap and replace the normal Sportster with a Sportster S. I also don't see how you can compare the Sportster S to a Sportster, any more than you can compare the FTR to a Scout. But when you compare the Sportster S to an FTR, it makes sense. Both are catering to the crowd that wanted more power and sport than the Scout or Sportster provides. But the Sportster S has more power than an FTR and does seem to retain classic looks better than an FTR. On the other hand, the FTR went more sport than the Sportster S, meaning suspension and lean angle. In any event, both the Sportster S and FTR are pushing further into the realm of sport bike / cruiser, that I don't think has a lot to do with the Scout/Sportster market.
The Scout Sixty and Scout Bobber Sixty are actually $6000 less than the Sporster S at stated MSRP. $8,999 vs $14,999.

141 - 160 of 226 Posts