Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
301 - 320 of 327 Posts

·
Founding Member / Distinguished
4,694 Posts
They did do a lot of upgrades to the Sportster S. More power, inverted forks, BUT forgot to give it awesome brakes.
It has a 4 piston radial mounted Brembo up front and a 2 piston Brembo in the rear. In all the reviews I didn't see any complaints about the brakes. Maybe i missed it.

·
Rider
1,379 Posts
They did do a lot of upgrades to the Sportster S. More power, inverted forks, BUT forgot to give it awesome brakes.
Whaaaaat ???

that S comes with better stock brakes than any Indian manufactured, probably ever 🤔

·
Senior member / rider
1,468 Posts
I had a 20 minute demo ride on a Sportster S yesterday. While the bike itself isn't very practical, the engine and transmission are very, very good. Fueling was good, clutch was light, transmission shifts extremely smoothly. Negligible vibration. Even the heat from the high pipe wasn't bad. It was in the mid 70s so maybe that helped. I was surprised because when I rode a Pan America I noticed some vibration and heat. The Sportster, not so much.
Once HD releases more functional Sportsters with this new powertrain, it will be an attractive option IMO.
Polaris needs to pay attention and refresh the Scout.

·
Senior member / rider
1,468 Posts
Thanks for the review/info!

What do you mean by 'not very practical'? practical for what purpose?
Do you mean it's not a commuter? not good for twisties?
bad seating position?
All of the above. It's a fun bike, for short rides. It handles pretty well, and the suspension is better, I think, than I imagined. It is what it appears in the pictures, a "halo" bike. The seat is tiny, and obviously not very supportive. I doubt there's going to be much luggage. I don't think I'd commute on it. All those caveats aside, it's impressive, and it has a lot of great features. I'm looking forward to more "conventional" versions.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #309 ·
I had a 20 minute demo ride on a Sportster S yesterday. While the bike itself isn't very practical, the engine and transmission are very, very good. Fueling was good, clutch was light, transmission shifts extremely smoothly. Negligible vibration. Even the heat from the high pipe wasn't bad. It was in the mid 70s so maybe that helped. I was surprised because when I rode a Pan America I noticed some vibration and heat. The Sportster, not so much.
Once HD releases more functional Sportsters with this new powertrain, it will be an attractive option IMO.
Polaris needs to pay attention and refresh the Scout.
Thanks for the report. Its good to get feedback from regular riders versus professional reviewers and youtube "stars."
My dealer thought they would get one in Sept. Now they're saying Nov. Hopefully I'll get to ride it at Americade in less than 2 weeks.

·
Registered
926 Posts
All of the above. It's a fun bike, for short rides. I'm looking forward to more "conventional" versions.
curious, do you normally ride a bike with forward controls/cruiser style bikes?
just wondering if someone who comes from sports/naked bikes that have mid controls and have the rider in a more aggressive position would feel the same.

not buying one just thinking out loud about what style of rider it might fit better.

·
Senior member / rider
1,468 Posts
curious, do you normally ride a bike with forward controls/cruiser style bikes?
just wondering if someone who comes from sports/naked bikes that have mid controls and have the rider in a more aggressive position would feel the same.

not buying one just thinking out loud about what style of rider it might fit better.
I have forward and standard position bikes. I don't mind forward, in fact, the older I get the more I like forward. I know when I bought my first forward bike, it took a few minutes to adjust but no big deal. It's all down to the individual.

·
Registered
173 Posts
The Sportsters were the last Harley that had the genuine traditional sound. I think they will remain popular. So many bikes out there with lots of hp. Not sure thats the defining criteria when purchasing a bike. I think todays buyer looks the whole package when making a decision

·
Senior member / rider
1,468 Posts
The Sportsters were the last Harley that had the genuine traditional sound. I think they will remain popular. So many bikes out there with lots of hp. Not sure thats the defining criteria when purchasing a bike. I think todays buyer looks the whole package when making a decision
Sound is down the list for me when purchasing a bike, but each person has their own preferences.

FWIW my wife was sitting where the demo Sportsters left the staging area. She specifically mentioned how nice the Sportster S sounded as they went by.

·
Silver member
5,191 Posts
As far as I'm concerned the "Harley sound" got gone when HD stopped with the carb bikes and went to fuel injection.

Reactions: rusty and TedMan

·
Silver member
5,191 Posts
Mine sounds like a Harley

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Mine has a nice lope also with the stage 2 cams. But still doesn't have that good ol'
p o t a t o ... p o t a t o ;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
More than anything I'm proud of Harley to finally step out of their box a little bit. First they come out with the Pan America which was a somewhat late entry into the adventure world but it is still selling great for them and now an ok attempt at a sportster revamp. Even though I'm not a big Harley fan I can still appreciate their heritage and want to see them be competitive in the market. No if we can just get them back to being competitive in AFT we might get a good show.

301 - 320 of 327 Posts