Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
181 - 200 of 226 Posts

·
Senior member / rider
1,419 Posts
"unless indian puts the challenger engine into something similar with better lean angles than the chief or scout ."

I'm holding out hope for this myself.

·
Senior member / rider
1,419 Posts
Quick read confirms what I thought about the engine in the Pan American. It does get hot, and the high pipe sure seems to exacerbate the heat.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I'm debating whether to stay with phone only or go with dedicated GPS - either TomTom or Garmin. I haven't evaluated either product, but appreciate the feedback on Garmin.
I’m strongly in the dedicated GPS camp. There are a lot of reasons main one actually being killing your battery and/or vibrating your phone to death on the mount.

I do occasionally use my phone, but it sits in my pocket, and I just listen to the turn by turn directions.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #186 ·
I’m strongly in the dedicated GPS camp. There are a lot of reasons main one actually being killing your battery and/or vibrating your phone to death on the mount.

I do occasionally use my phone, but it sits in my pocket, and I just listen to the turn by turn directions.
Appreciate the feedback. What do you do with your unit when you stop for a period of time (see a site, eat, etc.). Leave it on your bike? If yes, are you concerned about theft? With no locking storage on the Scout I didn't want to have to lug it around whenever I leave the bike.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I find the indian people a bit more open to new bikes than the harley crowd who have emo meltdowns whenever HD tries to deviate from the same crap they've been producing for the last 40 years. You have to remember a lot of the people here are would be on a Harley if Indian didn't come along, but they were willing try something new. New is a dirty word to a lot of Harley tried and true fans.

They're the reason the fantastic engine that was in the v-rod didn't end up in other bikes. Hell, I'd buy the new sportster S just to encourage HD to ignore them and keep going with more modern engines and designs.... unless indian puts the challenger engine into something similar with better lean angles than the chief or scout :) .
I have heard a metric crap ton of HD folks beg for the V-Rod motor in a tourer.

Reactions: IMARIDER

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Appreciate the feedback. What do you do with your unit when you stop for a period of time (see a site, eat, etc.). Leave it on your bike? If yes, are you concerned about theft? With no locking storage on the Scout I didn't want to have to lug it around whenever I leave the bike.
It’s not much bigger than a phone, so, bringing it along isn’t a problem to me. For short stops I might toss it fork bag, sissybar bag, or saddlebag. People tend not to mess with bikers stuff and keeping it out of sight is most the battle. Put it under a stinky sweaty doo rag.

·
Founding member / aka Husky Davidson. 10/09/14
1,823 Posts
As a HD traditionalist I’d say it doesn’t matter if I like the bike..
I would never buy one.
But to you Polaris fans….it is a better Scout..
I’ve already heard from HD traditionalist that the Rev Max engine is the most fun HD they have ridden…(PanAmerica)
So put it in a Sportster sized bike and it’s going to make a lot of people happy.

·
Senior member / rider
1,419 Posts
I have heard a metric crap ton of HD folks beg for the V-Rod motor in a tourer.
I owned a VRod a few years ago. One impulse purchase that I wish I hadn't made.
I'd venture a guess that people clambering for that engine in a touring bike never owned one. Just the combination of 5 speed and crappy fuel economy would be off-putting. And don't forget $1000 valve adjustments. I didn't own the VRod long.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I owned a VRod a few years ago. One impulse purchase that I wish I hadn't made.
I'd venture a guess that people clambering for that engine in a touring bike never owned one. Just the combination of 5 speed and crappy fuel economy would be off-putting. And don't forget $1000 valve adjustments. I didn't own the VRod long.
Good points, and now maybe we know why they never did it. I sat on one several times in 06 but picked a Dyna.

I think the sentiment that lots of hp in a small package is spot on. Especially for a younger target market. We really are fortunate that these two companies are pushing each other.

·
Founding Member / Distinguished
4,670 Posts

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Founding member / aka Husky Davidson. 10/09/14
1,823 Posts

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
And HD pulls out a winner where it counts..
Be interesting to see the other versions..

·
Registered
1 Posts
This ain’t your grandpa’s Harley, thank god. Anyone who really wants to own a traditional Harley probably already does. Most Sportster riders usually buy a Big Twin as their next bike. The new Sportster is aimed at new, performance oriented riders, new being as in new to Harley. I call them the Pabst Blue Ribbon in a can urban rider.

·
Senior member / rider
1,419 Posts

·
Founding Member / Distinguished
4,670 Posts
This says the heat "isn't bad". When I rode the Pan America, I thought the heat was very noticeable. Vibration is also there, a bit more than I expected. Still, the package has potential.
Yeah the other article I posted says he felt heat from the exhaust.

181 - 200 of 226 Posts