Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 226 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a lot to like about the new HD Sportster S, especially when compared to the Scout, including:

Light weight - 502 pounds.

Likely stronger stock performance – 94 ft. lbs. @ 6000 rpm, 121 HP @ 7500 rpm.

Likely a better suspension – inverted and adjustable suspension.

Cornering enhanced traction control.

Cornering enhanced ABS.

3 pre-set ride modes and one custom ride mode.

Traction control.

Built in navigation with blue tooth phone pairing.

All LED lighting.

Cruise control.

TPMS.

Adjustable clutch and brake levers (not sure but I believe it to be so).

Fuel gauge (still unbelievable to me that the Scout lacks this).

As for price, you get what you pay for. More features means higher price. Personally, I’m willing to pay for these features. So as a Scout owner who is disappointed by some of the budget cutting Indian undertook on the Scout, I’m very intrigued by this package.

However, I can’t say I’m a fan of the looks of this bike. Specifically, the lack of fenders, ugly exhaust, and bronze colored engine covers don’t appeal to me. I’m hoping HD makes different versions of the Sportster that present an alternative appearance.

One major disappointment is the 3.1 gallon fuel tank. There seems to be an unwritten rule in the industry – bikes of this size and weight must have a 150 mile range. The Scout, Speedmaster, Rebel, and now Sportster S all seem to think this is what buyers want. Not sure how they go about conducting market research, but I think this is a shortcoming.

Any Scout owners intrigued by the new Sportster S?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Some additional details I discovered:

The Sportster is equipped with SHOWA 43mm inverted cartridge forks and a SHOWA Piggyback reservoir rear shock. Rear suspension features hydraulic pre-load adjustment using a convenient knob located on the left side of the motorcycle.

The Sportster S is pre-wired for accessory heated hand grips and is equipped with two dedicated power points for heated riding gear (heated hand grips and heated riding gear/apparel each sold separately), plus a USB-C port for charging a phone or other device.

A Mid-Control Conversion Kit is available.

A passenger accommodation accessory kit is available which includes a Pillion Kit, Passenger Footpeg Kit, and Passenger Backrest Kit.

·
Founding Member / Distinguished
4,670 Posts
Some additional details I discovered:

The Sportster is equipped with SHOWA 43mm inverted cartridge forks and a SHOWA Piggyback reservoir rear shock. Rear suspension features hydraulic pre-load adjustment using a convenient knob located on the left side of the motorcycle.

The Sportster S is pre-wired for accessory heated hand grips and is equipped with two dedicated power points for heated riding gear (heated hand grips and heated riding gear/apparel each sold separately), plus a USB-C port for charging a phone or other device.

A Mid-Control Conversion Kit is available.

A passenger accommodation accessory kit is available which includes a Pillion Kit, Passenger Footpeg Kit, and Passenger Backrest Kit.
Wow where did you find this information at ?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Harley's site and Business Insider. Curiously, neither Ride Apart or Motorcycle.com had any info as of the time of my post.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
The sportster S is going to sell like gangbusters. The reason for the small tank on these and the scouts is that they’re targeted to urban and suburban environments. The performance will likely give the ftr a run for its money. This is a fantastic step for Harley.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Harley’s site says “Sportster® S is the first chapter of a whole new book of the Sportster saga.” So I think it’s safe to assume more versions are coming. I’m hoping a touring version is on the horizon, hopefully with a larger fuel tank, color matched hard locking saddlebags, better passenger accommodations, and perhaps a color matched top box/trunk. The stock features certainly support long distance riding. It just needs luggage and a greater range.

·
4,670 Posts
Harley’s site says “Sportster S is the first chapter of a whole new book of the Sportster saga.” So I think it’s safe to assume more versions are coming. I’m hoping a touring version is on the horizon, hopefully with a larger fuel tank, color matched hard locking saddlebags, better passenger accommodations, and perhaps a color matched top box/trunk. The stock features certainly support long distance riding. It just needs luggage and a greater range.
Since this is listed under the Sport category I’m sure the Bronx will be out as a 2022 model.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If I had any influence over Harley, I'd suggest:

Sportster B - a bobber version to counter the Scout Bobber and Triumph Bobber.

Sportster C - a classic look.

Sportster S - as released.

Sportster T - a touring version as described in my previous post.

·
4,670 Posts
If I had any influence over Harley, I'd suggest:

Sportster B - a bobber version to counter the Scout Bobber and Triumph Bobber.

Sportster C - a classic look.

Sportster S - as released.

Sportster T - a touring version as described in my previous post.
So do you think they will have a cheaper model just called the Sportster? I like those ideas of yours .

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would if I were them. The Scout's base price is several thousand less, so that's a big competitive advantage. I guess I'd add to my suggestions a base Sportster at a lower price, as you suggest.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The price point is the same as the new Chiefs, which are 1800cc on up. Granted, not water cooled and very different stylings. But I'm not sure the budget-friendly scout is what they're targeting here. Hell I have no idea who they're targeting here. But I do like that they're finally innovating a bit.

·
4,670 Posts
The price point is the same as the new Chiefs, which are 1800cc on up. Granted, not water cooled and very different stylings. But I'm not sure the budget-friendly scout is what they're targeting here. Hell I have no idea who they're targeting here. But I do like that they're finally innovating a bit.
I believe since this is the S model there will be a base/cheaper models too.

·
Registered
2022 Chief Dark Horse
117 Posts
Looks like one big piece of plastic in that photo. I'm sure it'll sell, but my only curiosity is how it handles.

·
4,670 Posts
You mean a whole other design to replace the current sportster?
Well they did patent a push rod designed VVT head last year. But I was thinking one with less electronics and features to keep the price down.

·
Registered
890 Posts

"...the Sportster S will reach Harley-Davidson dealers this fall with a base MSRP of $14,999. "

Am I missing where this is an even comparison?

It's a Scout Bobber with 4 grand worth of upgrades and sold for 4 grand more.

It won't be stealing any sales from Indian, per se. It just gives the extreme minority of people who like the Bobber but just so happen to have an extra 4g's to spend something else to consider.

Reactions: irvin.boston

·
Registered
2022 Chief Dark Horse
117 Posts
I'd take a 2022 Chief over that bike for the same price, but the lean-sensitive tech from the FTR and Challenger in a performance cruiser similar to the Chief is an interesting proposition. I can see where this will be more of an in-between the Scout and FTR competitor as much as a direct comparison.

1 - 20 of 226 Posts