Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 Vintage. I purchased a indian 14" back rest that obviously is for a different year or model. does anyone know how i can make it fit? is it just the spools?

·
Gold Supporting Member
3,248 Posts
If your Vintage has the original leather bags, you may need to add some plastic shims. The backrest for a Chieftain or Roadmaster have larger diameter spools. Measure the OD of the spools and if they don't match up, a quick trip to the hardware store for some PVS tubing should solve the mismatch.
Spools.JPG

·
Senior member / gold
6,951 Posts
The normal Indian spools can be purchased in a set, but the spools for the Chieftain or Roadmaster must be purchased by the piece... 4 spools. A lot more money, but if you ever want to add hard bags, you are good to go with those spools.
I think you bought a Chieftain sissybar. It will work on your Vintage, but you will need the bigger, Chieftain spools, in order for it to fit properly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The normal Indian spools can be purchased in a set, but the spools for the Chieftain or Roadmaster must be purchased by the piece... 4 spools. A lot more money, but if you ever want to add hard bags, you are good to go with those spools.
I think you bought a Chieftain sissybar. It will work on your Vintage, but you will need the bigger, Chieftain spools, in order for it to fit properly.
It appears to me the spools are to large
Do the hooks on the backrest fit around the spools?
or at least tell us what’s not working.
No

·
Registered
410 Posts
The 2019-20 Vintage takes a different backrest than previous years. The accessories catalog shows different spools also.

The two 14'' backrests are part numbers 2880833-156 or -266. Hope that helps

·
Rider
550 Posts
I don't care how much you spend on modifying spools.... I still bet you saved a ton of money!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts