Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Early joiner
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently had a couple of code pop up, SPN 520204 FMI 17, Fuel Correction System too Lean (front) (pre) and SPN 520205 FMI 15, Fuel Correction System too rich (rear) (post). Bike is a 2014 Chieftain with a high flow air filter and Vance and Hines slip-ons...installed when I bought the bike in 2014 and reflased at that time...no other mods. The codes will appear intermittently along check engine light. Bike seems to run fine with no lag or misfires. In an attempt to do all I can before taking it to the stealership, in the past week, I've installed a new YUASA (first battery replacement), cleaned and recharged air filter, replaced spark plugs (rear looked normal and front was a little black), replaced front and rear o2 sensors (rear looked tannish color and front was a deep sootly black) and planning on adding a can of Red Line Fuel System Cleaner for Motorcycles for at least one fuel cycle to see if codes continue to pop up.

Has anyone experienced anything similar, and if so, have any more ideas? Maybe there are even some Indian techs on here.

Thanks in advance

·
Bronze member
3,076 Posts
Sounds like you've located and corrected your problem.It's also possible that you may have picked up some bad gas,so fuel system cleaner should take care of it.And you are,of course ,running high test,91 octane or better,correct??? So run it now for awhile and see what happens,but it sounds like you've corrected the problem.

I just went out and looked at my SM and both codes you listed are ,infact,fuel related,so the bad gas you mentioned could very well be what caused the problem,hence throwing those two codes.So ya might wanna try buying your gas some wheres else.Myself,I find that both the Shell and Sunoco high test work best for me!!

·
Early joiner
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like you've located and corrected your problem.It's also possible that you may have picked up some bad gas,so fuel system cleaner should take care of it.And you are,of course ,running high test,91 octane or better,correct??? So run it now for awhile and see what happens,but it sounds like you've corrected the problem.
Engine light and codes still appear intermittently, but doesn't seem to affect bike operation, so I won't worry too much about it. Always run 93 octane, so as long as the bike doesn't bog down or misfire I'll just run for awhile and see what happens.

·
Bronze member
3,076 Posts
Well,run it for awhile and see what happens.If the problem was,in fact, gas,and the codes,intermittent,they should go away after a number of starts.At any rate,if it was something serious,the bike would faulter, but you said she was runnin fine now.So whatever the problem was, it can't be too serious.But should ya get the codes back,right em down and I'll look in my SM to see just what they mean.Fair enough??? ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts