Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All
I was out riding on our DH and the display showed a error of SPN 065590 didn't get the smaller code and it cleared on power cycling the bike. I looked in my 14 Service Manual and don't see the code, maybe because the 16's are different? Not sure but can anyone shine some light on the code please?

Mark

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
All
I was out riding on our DH and the display showed a error of SPN 065590 didn't get the smaller code and it cleared on power cycling the bike. I looked in my 14 Service Manual and don't see the code, maybe because the 16's are different? Not sure but can anyone shine some light on the code please?

Mark
I believe Chief Signguru is correct on this one. I have gotten the same code by lowering the kickstand

·
Founding member
2,102 Posts
What is so bad about shutting down with kickstand. Why would that be a failure code
The switch is setup to fail "safe" (shutdown); so if the switch should fail (either momentarily or completely), it will shut down the engine. It is recorded in the computer so it can aid in troubleshooting by the tech. There has been at least one owner who posted that he occasionally had the bike shutdown while riding and the problem was a faulty connection on the switch which would momentarily open after hitting a bump on the road. The code pointed to the cause of the problem.

Although some riders like the ease of shutdown by putting the kickstand down, that's not the reason the switch is there or why it was designed that way.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
As with most things...there's a right way, and a wrong way to do things. The kickstand is designed to hold the bike upright while waiting for you to come ride it. it is not meant to be a "kill" switch for the bike.

·
Bronze member
1,113 Posts
The switch is setup to fail "safe" (shutdown); so if the switch should fail (either momentarily or completely), it will shut down the engine. It is recorded in the computer so it can aid in troubleshooting by the tech. There has been at least one owner who posted that he occasionally had the bike shutdown while riding and the problem was a faulty connection on the switch which would momentarily open after hitting a bump on the road. The code pointed to the cause of the problem.

Although some riders like the ease of shutdown by putting the kickstand down, that's not the reason the switch is there or why it was designed that way.
It's only a guess on my part but I can imagine (not that I've done this) a feller slipping into a gas station when he seen his buddies there. He puts his kickstand down (which doesn't have the switch) to talk and then the other folks take off. I can see the guy taking off with the stand down trying to keep up with them. The switch keeps something like this from happening. Remember...... there are thousands of lawyers in this country and the universities are graduating more each year.

Just a wild idea.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
But so what if you use kickstand the stand goes up and down the same amount of times whether it shuts bike off of not so I don't see it wearing out the switch. Used to use key to shutoff bike and sometimes kill switch.I can see kill switch wearing out because of extra use over my old bikes. so kill switch on indian is getting 100o/o slowly wearing out. I say vary it up or whatever you are used too but I don't see any damage that wouldn't happen anyway

·
Founding member
2,102 Posts
IMO either method of engine shutdown is acceptable to use - no damage or additional wear will occur to the bike. Both switches are designed for usage and have a "mean operations-to-failure" rate far exceeding the number of times anyone will use them.

I prefer the kill-switch since it is standard location/design on all bikes and some bikes (including the Scout!) don't have a kickstand shutdown switch (bad habit may bite you). Those that say "you'll wear it out the kill switch" and "never use it except in emergency" don't realize that never operating a switch can result in a greater chance of inoperability than always using it (junk on the contacts). Again, either way is OK for the 111s.

·
Premium Member
2,551 Posts
All

Mark
That code is not in the book because it is a new one with the new Recall Reflash. Did it have a little 7 underneath it? If so, that is the code for "Misfire Detected in Cylinder 2" Code 065591 sub 7 is "Misfire Detected in Cylinder 1"

Indian Mechanic said it will clear itself after 3 starts, and it is nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
IMO either method of engine shutdown is acceptable to use - no damage or additional wear will occur to the bike. Both switches are designed for usage and have a "mean operations-to-failure" rate far exceeding the number of times anyone will use them.

I prefer the kill-switch since it is standard location/design on all bikes and some bikes (including the Scout!) don't have a kickstand shutdown switch (bad habit may bite you). Those that say "you'll wear it out the kill switch" and "never use it except in emergency" don't realize that never operating a switch can result in a greater chance of inoperability than always using it (junk on the contacts). Again, either way is OK for the 111s.
I agree lack of use will ruin a switch faster than using it. I use kill switch more than the key on my other bikes but I use the kickstand about 15 percent of the time . Sometimes because I am concentrating on something else. But always have done it that way. Never had any problems

·
Registered
70 Posts
The kickstand switch operates each time you put down the kickstand so it won't wear out because you never use it to shut off the bike...

·
Registered
613 Posts
All

Mark
That code is a reminder that you have bought the wrong bike. 65590 is "buyer's remorse" code for should have got a two tone Vintage.

·
Registered
217 Posts
It's only a guess on my part but I can imagine (not that I've done this) a feller slipping into a gas station when he seen his buddies there. He puts his kickstand down (which doesn't have the switch) to talk and then the other folks take off. I can see the guy taking off with the stand down trying to keep up with them. The switch keeps something like this from happening. Remember...... there are thousands of lawyers in this country and the universities are graduating more each year.

Just a wild idea.
A acquaintance of mine has some kind of HD Glide (2014) of some sort and his bike will run with the kickstand down. I watched him almost kill himself starting the bike out with the stand down. Dumb.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This is after being out riding for 45 mins without a problem and then the code showing up while we're still riding. Pulled over 20 mins later and shutoff the bike restarted code cleared and didn't come back. I asked about the code as it wasn't in the book and the bike was reflashed 2 weeks ago. Thinking one of the folks on the site might have seen it as well.

·
Premium Member
2,551 Posts
This is after being out riding for 45 mins without a problem and then the code showing up while we're still riding. Pulled over 20 mins later and shutoff the bike restarted code cleared and didn't come back. I asked about the code as it wasn't in the book and the bike was reflashed 2 weeks ago. Thinking one of the folks on the site might have seen it as well.
It's a new code from the Recall Reflash - means "Misfire Detected"

1 - 19 of 19 Posts