Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes the difference between a great ride and disaster is measured in seconds. I had a close call today and as I reflect on the event I realize things could have ended very badly. I was heading home after meeting my sister for breakfast. The weather was perfect and I was enjoying the ride. Suddenly about 100 yards ahead a SUV pulled out heading in my direction to pass another vehicle........apparently the driver didn’t see my large red bike with LED lights! We’re both traveling 55-60 mph, so the next events transpired in a matter of seconds. The driver of the vehicle being passed saw what was happening and thankfully pulled to the shoulder giving the passing vehicle a slot to pull back into. Fortunately I was watching the oncoming traffic, so despite the limited time and space to react, I also swerved over to the shoulder. Everything happened so fast...the responses by the other vehicle and me were done instinctively....no time to really think about what to do. While everything ended well, it reminded me of the importance of staying focused.....even then, sometimes we need assistance from our guardian angel to make it through the day. Drive safe!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Sometimes the difference between a great ride and disaster is measured in seconds. I had a close call today and as I reflect on the event I realize things could have ended very badly. I was heading home after meeting my sister for breakfast. The weather was perfect and I was enjoying the ride. Suddenly about 100 yards ahead a SUV pulled out heading in my direction to pass another vehicle........apparently the driver didn’t see my large red bike with LED lights! We’re both traveling 55-60 mph, so the next events transpired in a matter of seconds. The driver of the vehicle being passed saw what was happening and thankfully pulled to the shoulder giving the passing vehicle a slot to pull back into. Fortunately I was watching the oncoming traffic, so despite the limited time and space to react, I also swerved over to the shoulder. Everything happened so fast...the responses by the other vehicle and me were done instinctively....no time to really think about what to do. While everything ended well, it reminded me of the importance of staying focused.....even then, sometimes we need assistance from our guardian angel to make it through the day. Drive safe!
Great your instincts worked. Be safe.

·
Registered
671 Posts
And defensively

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,336 Posts
It Happens Lots .. Avoided Many of them but this last one all I could do was Brake Hard , Keep Her Straight , and Stay in the Saddle.. Was No escape .. Heavy Traffic on one side and a Barrier Wall on the Right when the Postal Carrier pulled out in front of me ..

Wreck1.jpg

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
glad ya made it out of that alive. Living in florida it's actually a way of life. Ya just never know when that next mile is going to be your last. Staying alert is a big key to survival . One of the key notes in riders course is always have an exit or escape route plan.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It Happens Lots .. Avoided Many of them but this last one all I could do was Brake Hard , Keep Her Straight , and Stay in the Saddle.. Was No escape .. Heavy Traffic on one side and a Barrier Wall on the Right when the Postal Carrier pulled out in front of me ..
View attachment 521594
Glad you’re safe....sorry about the damage to you’re bike.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
glad ya made it out of that alive. Living in florida it's actually a way of life. Ya just never know when that next mile is going to be your last. Staying alert is a big key to survival . One of the key notes in riders course is always have an exit or escape route plan.
Even in our area we’ve noticed how much more aggressive people are driving. Seems there are more and more people on the road who are willing to take chances with their life and everyone around them. Earlier this summer we watched a driver pass on a blind corner in the mountains (double yellow). By the luck of the draw nobody was coming towards him from the other direction. Like JayFL459, there was no place to escape. I keep wondering why people are willing to play Russian roulette with their lives.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I wonder if a modulating headlight would have helped in that situation. I'd like to get one but have been advised against it by other riders in this area. A Goldwing rider told me he got yelled at by drivers for having one so he took it off. Drivers in the metro area around here in Charleston/North Charleston are awful. Just had a couple of shootings during road rage incidents around here in the past 2 weeks.

Kathy

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,289 Posts
That's if they're even paying attention. Too many people in a BFH and distracted as well.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wonder if a modulating headlight would have helped in that situation. I'd like to get one but have been advised against it by other riders in this area. A Goldwing rider told me he got yelled at by drivers for having one so he took it off. Drivers in the metro area around here in Charleston/North Charleston are awful. Just had a couple of shootings during road rage incidents around here in the past 2 weeks.

Kathy
Hard to tell....the weather was clear and the road was straight. Kind of hard to miss a red RM with LED headlamp and driving lights, but obviously not impossible. At times I run with my high beam on and I do think that helps. I wasn’t in that mode yesterday, but will likely switch back to that after yesterday’s experience. I know that’s a controversial topic, but I’ve only had a couple oncoming vehicles flash me while running with high beams during the day.

·
Rider
439 Posts
I had two idiots tailgating me so close today I could only see their grills in my mirror. I wear hi-viz and a white helmet so it's not like they couldn't see me. I was going with traffic so it wasn't like I was holding them up either.

USUALLY most people give me room on the motorcycle, but today was just freaking annoying. I can't wait for all the bennies to go home. They're usually the cause of most traffic annoyances around here. (bennies are a bunch of weirdos who think NJ is a vacation spot during the summer and flood down here every weekend between memorial day and labor day. Can't imagine how much their homes must suck if they think coming here is better :confused: )

·
Registered
157 Posts
I ride during the day with my high beam on always. Adding 4" LED driving light to my highway bar seems to have made a difference. I could count on being unseen once a month before the driving lights, sometimes wishing the Scout had dual front discs. Since installing the lights I've had 2 incidents in the past 2 yrs. I think the 7" headlight probably helps as well. Be seen, be safe even if you occasionally annoy someone.

·
Bronze member
1,587 Posts
Even in our area we’ve noticed how much more aggressive people are driving. Seems there are more and more people on the road who are willing to take chances with their life and everyone around them. Earlier this summer we watched a driver pass on a blind corner in the mountains (double yellow). By the luck of the draw nobody was coming towards him from the other direction. Like JayFL459, there was no place to escape. I keep wondering why people are willing to play Russian roulette with their lives.
What area is that? (You can add your general location to your profile so we see it over there on the L side with your other info)....
I agree -- wherever you are, my wife and I have seen the same here in our area and we mention it pretty often, actually.

·
Bronze member
1,587 Posts
FW
Hard to tell....the weather was clear and the road was straight. Kind of hard to miss a red RM with LED headlamp and driving lights, but obviously not impossible. At times I run with my high beam on and I do think that helps. I wasn’t in that mode yesterday, but will likely switch back to that after yesterday’s experience. I know that’s a controversial topic, but I’ve only had a couple oncoming vehicles flash me while running with high beams during the day.
FWIW, I always ride with my high beam on. I know for a fact that, in the daytime, it's not a pain in the butt for drivers to deal with, and I'll take the extra little degree of visibility I think it provides.

·
Bronze member
1,587 Posts
I had two idiots tailgating me so close today I could only see their grills in my mirror. I wear hi-viz and a white helmet so it's not like they couldn't see me. I was going with traffic so it wasn't like I was holding them up either...
Wow -- that's annoying as hell :mad:.
I usually give them a firm open-palm "back off" gesture with my L hand and that usually gets the message across and they do back off. But it won't work with 'em all, I know. At least, after you do that, you have a better idea of their intentions and attitude, and can then go to Plan B (which I'm sure varies from rider to rider! :D)

·
Rider
500 Posts
Just out curiosity, what brand / type of LED are installed? Do you have passing lamps also? If so, are they LED also?
Last spring there were 4 of us riding in a staggered formation and the same thing happened to us. Thank God there was a shoulder for us to move to. Some people are just stupid, or blind, and maybe both.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
101 Posts
I ride during the day with my high beam on always. Adding 4" LED driving light to my highway bar seems to have made a difference. I could count on being unseen once a month before the driving lights, sometimes wishing the Scout had dual front discs. Since installing the lights I've had 2 incidents in the past 2 yrs. I think the 7" headlight probably helps as well. Be seen, be safe even if you occasionally annoy someone.
I also always drive with my high beam on during the day. In fact, if there’s a situation where I’m concerned about a car pulling out in front of me I’ll toggle back and forth between the high and low beams. Never had a negative reaction from someone in a car - presumably they know what I’m tying to do. Although for the OP’s situation, not much you can do except always assume the worst.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts