Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the Scout out yesterday, taking advantage of the light-to-nonexistent traffic. Cruising for a couple miles at an indicated 70-ish [+/-2] MPH. Checked my GPS post-ride & see a reported 83MPH.

Is there a DIY fix to adjust speedometer accuracy, if it's roughly 15% low at highway speeds? Or would it require having the speedo repaired/replaced?

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,233 Posts
Could possibly be the tire diameter. In your case too big causing you to be going above the indicated speed. This is just a hunch. 83 over 70 would mean you're 1.186 oversized. The circumference is that much too big, not the diameter. Pi times the diameter equals circumference. Dividing 1.186 by Pi gives 0,37 inch too much diameter. Look for a tire about 1/3 inch smaller in outside diameter and you'll be very close to having an accurate speedometer.

·
Rider
1,147 Posts
Does the bike have the proper size tire..?? Reinie's explanation is fine, but if the tire is of the proper size, you must have a sensor/speedo problem.
Is the bike still under warrantee..

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rear tire is a Metzeler 160/60-18
Bike is a 2001, so far from being still under warranty. Not sure any Gilroy Indians are under any factory warranty anymore.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Since the mechanical speedo is driven off front wheel ,tire size is the just one thing that can affect it (most likely it's been changed in 19 years). But the speedo's MPH needle could be off. The way to check is to check your ODOMETER and this means driving 3-5 ACTUAL miles and see if it's off or not. If it's real close (accurate) that rules out tire as the problem and you'd have to have a speedometer repair shop reset/recalibrate the speedo, or just LIVE WITH IT.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, didn't realize it was run off the front wheel.
I do recall my f-i-l saying it has a slightly oversize front tire on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts