Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey has anyone checked their speedo w GPS or something? My new Roadmaster is so smooth, I can't believe I'm going as fast as the speedo is showing.

·
Super Moderator
4,857 Posts
Hey has anyone checked their speedo w GPS or something? My new Roadmaster is so smooth, I can't believe I'm going as fast as the speedo is showing.
You're going that fast. Enjoy the smooth ride!!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have not got a ticket yet and I keep to posted limits most often. (knock on wood)
I was running about 75 (that's the speed limit) on 59 North today and no one was passing me so I guess it may be pretty close. I'll try to get a chance to check it with my buddy on his Wing and his GPS. Ran it up to 90-100 a couple of short bursts, and the bike felt so smooth and planted if still amazes me.

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
Man, I know right where you is....Ya ever go by Leggett's?
I had a ranch up in Marshall for years.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Man, I know right where you is....Ya ever go by Leggett's?
I had a ranch up in Marshall for years.
I've known Dennis all my life. Great guy. He's done most of my work I can't do myself forever. Saw him Wed when I got the RM home. He's got the first 3 Scouts from Indian of Shreveport coming as soon as they can sell them.

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
I've known Dennis all my life. Great guy. He's done most of my work I can't do myself forever. Saw him Wed when I got the RM home. He's got the first 3 Scouts from Indian of Shreveport coming as soon as they can sell them.
I've written about Leggett's and Joaquin many times on various forums over the years. No one believes it.

Years ago my oldest son was ready to start riding. He was dead set on a 60's Triumph chopper, complete with the long springer front end and hand grenade sissy bar. Velvet king/queen seat, rigid frame...the whole 9 yards. He would settle on nothing else.

One afternoon we loaded up in the VW bus and drove down to Joaquin to visit with Mr. Leggett. I didn't know him all that well but was able to spend some time looking in some of those various buildings he has parts stored in over the years. I knew if anyone had an old Triumph chopper it would be him.

He walked us down what looked to be an old main street with deserted storefronts. I'm looking through the dusty windows as we are walking and every one of those old stores is packed to the rafters with old motorcycles. We get to the store where he has all of his Triumph chopper stuff stored....the whole store was packed with period Triumph choppers, frames, fenders, basket case motors....Like that "Picker's" show on TV.....only real.

The store with the Nortons was next door and next door to that was the store where he had his BSA stash. Indians, Harleys....you name it and he has it.....what a place. I think he must own the whole town, or maybe rents it. He has motorcycles stashed all over there.

·
Registered
370 Posts
It is accurate checked against GPS :)
When I started riding my Shadow, I would be going 70 on the speedo on the freeway and people would be flying by me. So, I finally got a cellphone handlebar mount and put my phone on there and got a speedo app, and sure enough, the bike speedo was like 5 - 7 MPH off from the phone GPS speedo.

I moved my cellphone handlebar mount over from my Shadow to my Vintage this past weekend and rode into work this morning running the speedo app, and I can confirm that for my bike at least, the bike speedo matches the GPS speedo pretty much 100%.

The speedo app I'm using is: Ulysse Speedometer - Android Apps on Google Play

Reactions: the doctor

·
Founding member
961 Posts
How cool is that guys! :) Where is Leggett's, in Joaquin? I ride up into central Arkansas from the Houston area fairly often and will make it a point to visit Leggett's. I love those kinds of people and places.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How cool is that guys! :) Where is Leggett's, in Joaquin? I ride up into central Arkansas from the Houston area fairly often and will make it a point to visit Leggett's. I love those kinds of people and places.[/QUOTE
Leggett's shop is on 84 in beautiful downtown Joaquin. Three stores and his is the one with the motorcycles. Had the Yamaha dealership for several years. He might be open and he might not be open, but he lives just around the corner. He just did the Cannonball run from Fla to Wash state on a 29 Indian Scout. Had a perfect score. He's partial to Indians, but he can work on and knows a lot about just about any bike.

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
The only time I look at my speedo is when I see a cop. I don't slow down. I just want to see if his radar gun is accurate.:cool:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a Garmin Zumo 550 and a 2014 Indian Vintage. I noticed a one mile per hour diffewrence between the two.

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,742 Posts
My Chieftain is pretty accurate up to about 50mph.
50-55 = 1 mph slower than GPS
55-60 = 2
60-70 = 3
70-75 = 4
80 = 5
So with a speedo indication of 80mph, my GPS shows about 75mph.

·
Gold Supporting Member
3,248 Posts
I've ridden through those temporary speed readout carts the CHP put on the side of the road. My '15 Classic is right on the bubble.

·
Founding member / distinguished
5,351 Posts
I can't speak for the RM, but my Chief Classic is ,as they say, 'nuts on' with the GPS. Ok, the GPS will bounce back and forth between 74 and 75 when the Chief's speedo needle says 75, so there might be a half mph worth of confusion at that speed, but I'm more than happy with this bike's speedo accuracy, especially after all the years of bitching about the 5 to 10% error built-in to damn near every bike I've ever owned (the Chief being my 51st or 52nd, I lose count). The only other motorcycle I can recall as having a speedometer as accurate as my Chief's was my wife's 2003 V-Rod.

·
Registered
74 Posts
My Chieftain reads about the same as Frisbie, the faster you go the more it doesn't agree with the GPS. 70 MPH on the Chieftain nets about 67 on the GPS but under 50 it's much closer.

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
Big Daddy Enterprises is offering our exclusive Speedometer Calibrated By Big Daddy Labs sticker for only $79.95.

For the first 100 lucky customers we are also including the low numbered and collectible Seal Of Approval with a Genuine Certificate Of Authenticity at no extra charge.

Never worry again.

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
My Chieftain reads about the same as Frisbie, the faster you go the more it doesn't agree with the GPS. 70 MPH on the Chieftain nets about 67 on the GPS but under 50 it's much closer.
I should have mentioned that we have the GPS calibration stickers too.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts