Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did search but didn't see a speedometer accuracy topic. I'm not posting this to complain but rather as a PSA stating what I found with the speedometer in my RM.

The scenario is this. The other morning I'm riding in to work with the cruise set on 75 mph. I started noticing cars passing me going significantly faster but I know they were not doing 80+ mph. That afternoon, before I left work for home, it hit me that maybe the other cars weren't going faster but maybe I was going slower.

I downloaded a GPS-based speedometer app called DigiHUD Speedometer on my phone. I have a RAM mount phone holder on my bars so I set the phone up there and compared my RM's speedometer to the speedometer in the GPS apps as I rode home.

Here is what I found:

RM speedometer
DigiHUD app Speed
Variance
40​
39​
-1​
50​
48​
-2​
60​
57​
-3​
70​
66​
-4​
80​
75​
-5​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

The conclusion is that the variance increased by -1 for every 10 mph. In my above-mentioned scenario, when I was running 75 mph (according to my RM speedometer), I was actually running about 71 mph. That will get me run over on Tennessee interstates.

Again, I'm only sharing what I experienced and not indicting all Indian speedometers. Test your own speedometer and confirm it's accuracy for yourself.

For what it's worth:
  1. My RM speedometer was manufactured December 2, 2013
  2. I compared the accuracy of the DigiHUD speedometer app to the speedometer in my 2014 RAM Laramie and found the truck speedometer was accurate with the DigiHUD app at all speeds.

·
632 Posts
Those results look pretty much like what I experienced on my Yamaha Road Star. The accuracy of the speedometer on my RM is much better. I don't have it recorded like you do, but up to 60 mph I've found the speedometer pretty much matches the gps speed. Above that speed the accuracy is off a little; however not as much as what you are experiencing...probably only off (slower) a couple of mph at 70.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Same thing with my former Road Glide. 80 was actually 75. I have the App Speed View on my Samsung. I'll have to check out my Chieftain when we're not 16* or snow on the ground.
This is spot on to how my Roadmaster speedo clocks out. Used to have same problem on an expensive BMW car I had. Did alot of digging on causes and solutions to that because it used to drive me crazy. Short answer in the case of the BMW.......Lawyers. Company wanted to err on the safe side so drivers could not claim they were actually being "told" by the car that they were going slower than they actually were. Call it a built-in fudge factor if you want. In other words the speedo, though wrong, was reading exactly as the manufacturer intended. I would not be at all surpised if it is the same story with our Indians. Another agrivating scenario of big brother dumbing things down to the least common denominator, the rest of us be damned.

·
Registered
809 Posts
(snip long message)
All, seriously, all, motorcycle and scooter speedos (at least here in the US) run "optimisitic" (that is, they read higher than the actual speed). This is intentional. Some say it's a law, but I've not found a specific law that states it must be this way. But it is definitely intentional.

·
Banned
5,398 Posts
Geez.................stop bitchin. This saves speeding tickets. Most speedo's are like this. My friend has a VW Passat that at 100 MPH ( car speedo reading ) it is actually going 94.7 MPH.

Doesn't make any difference here. Be glad they are on the soft side. I swear, some would ***** if they were hung with a gold rope.

·
Registered
719 Posts
The Speedometer is a instrument. An instrument that I paid for. An instrument that should provide ACCURATE information. Why is that too much to expect or considered bitchin? Regarding saving speeding tickets...I want to decide what speed I want to ride at or over posted limits based on road condidtions. I would like to just look at my speedo and know "OK I am 7 over" or whatever, without having to constantly calculate my actual speed in my mind based off the BS readout info I am being shown. To each his own!

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,354 Posts
My vintage is a couple miles off (at 70mph), according to my garmin. That's closer than my Harley was, and way closer than my old Honda.

As rubber wears from your front tire, the size of the tire changes slightly. So no speedometer can be 100% accurate all the time. At least that's what I was told by my boss when I worked at a service station in the 70's.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I had 3 kawi's before this chieftain and they would be between 10 and 12% off, I thought this one was pretty damn close. when doing 80 in a 55 it don't matter much. lol

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
I looked a little closer to the owners manual and that's where I think y'all are getting tangled up in your drawers.

The little plus and minus signs on the cruise control regulate the speed of the traffic which surrounds you.
When you press the plus sign, the traffic around you goes faster, and that makes it look like you are going slower.

It took me a while to catch on to it too.

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
Geez.................stop bitchin. This saves speeding tickets. Most speedo's are like this. My friend has a VW Passat that at 100 MPH ( car speedo reading ) it is actually going 94.7 MPH.

Doesn't make any difference here. Be glad they are on the soft side. I swear, some would ***** if they were hung with a gold rope.
This forum has a Gold Rope of sorts Bwana.
It's called the IGNORE feature....please allow me to show you how it works.

Reactions: jayred1

·
Rider
799 Posts
off topic: I nominate BD as Music Director of IMC.Net. Never heard of PMJ before (Or 1/2 the music you post, but, wow! - fun stuff!)

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
off topic: I nominate BD as Music Director of IMC.Net. Never heard of PMJ before (Or 1/2 the music you post, but, wow! - fun stuff!)
Thanks, it's nice to hear someone is listening to it.
I "waste" a lot of time listening to music and most of it is pretty eclectic
Not everyone likes everything so I try to change it up often.,,,stay tuned.

·
Founding member
2,309 Posts
Two of the singers (Casey Abrams & Haley Reinhart) in that video were contestants on American Idol. Good voices for that genre of music.

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
Two of the singers (Casey Abrams & Haley Reinhart) in that video were contestants on American Idol. Good voices for that genre of music.
You're right.
Personally, I would pick the peanuts out of her shit just to look at where it came from.
I've been a fan of hers from the first time that I saw her.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts