Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to adjust the rear shock on my 2014 Classic. Ordered the spanner wrench from Polaris approx. 6 months ago, still no wrench. Now the dealership says they can't even find the part number listed anymore. I know there are other tools that can be used. I've tried large crescent wrenches, Stilson wrenches; nothing works. I don't want to use a hammer and chisel. Any suggestions...?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Need to adjust the rear shock on my 2014 Classic. Ordered the spanner wrench from Polaris approx. 6 months ago, still no wrench. Now the dealership says they can't even find the part number listed anymore. I know there are other tools that can be used. I've tried large crescent wrenches, Stilson wrenches; nothing works. I don't want to use a hammer and chisel. Any suggestions...?
If you know roughly what the tool should look like, scout yourself out a machinist in the local area, go visit him, and have him custom machine you the necessary piece. I would bet it could be made of billet aluminum or cold-roll steel, should not take very long on a good milling machine to knock one out. And, I would bet the cost ends up being competitive with PI.

Not sure where you call home, but if you are somewhere near the northern Virginia/Maryland part of the country, Google up the group called CAMS (Chesapeake Area Metalworking Society, Chesapeake Area Metalworking
Society
) on the interwebz. There are a bunch of folks in that loose association that love to take on projects like these.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Try local dirtbike shop..... shock is a FOX brand shock that a lot of dirtbikes use

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
If you know roughly what the tool should look like, scout yourself out a machinist in the local area, go visit him, and have him custom machine you the necessary piece. I would bet it could be made of billet aluminum or cold-roll steel, should not take very long on a good milling machine to knock one out. And, I would bet the cost ends up being competitive with PI.

Not sure where you call home, but if you are somewhere near the northern Virginia/Maryland part of the country, Google up the group called CAMS (Chesapeake Area Metalworking Society, Chesapeake Area Metalworking
Society
) on the interwebz. There are a bunch of folks in that loose association that love to take on projects like these.
Another play on words " scout out a machinist" Hmmmm

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Jack the bike up so the back wheel in of the ground then used a screw driver place the blade in the slot loosen the top locking ring then tap around the bottom the way you want up or down & retention the locking ring

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jack the bike up so the back wheel in of the ground then used a screw driver place the blade in the slot loosen the top locking ring then tap around the bottom the way you want up or down & retention the locking ring
Back wheel has got to be off the ground? How about if I have the spanner wrench?

·
Founding member
952 Posts
Saw a spanner wrench at J & P cycles for $14 I'm sure others places have it also. Including Harley dealer or Granger tool website. The Polaris part # PV-46993 I wonder if Victory is the same. Service manual says to place bike in upright position with front wheel in a wheel vice. Lots of good info in Manual about recommended suspension sag [35MM for Chief/Vintage] There is a lock nut and a adjuster nut on shock. I need to do this also but mine is in storage till April.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Bosch Automotive Service Solutions LLC Polaris - Detail: PV-46993 - SPRING PRELOAD SPANNER WRENCH
QUOTE="Indijoe, post: 28643, member: 665" I know there are other tools that can be used. I've tried large crescent wrenches, Stilson wrenches; nothing works. I don't want to use a hammer and chisel. Any suggestions...?
And some info from a Victory manual :
View attachment 3932 [/QUOTE]

Great info, however site is for dealers only. Requires mandatory dealer number to complete order.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Allow me to give my two cents worth. First of all, forget the parts department in the Indian dealerships, those kids never even heard of a spanner wrench. Plus, their search for the part by name or Indian part number is waste of time. This spanner tool does not exist in their retail inventory!. Polaris does sell this wrench for $39.99, (I verified this myself just the other day).. Or, you can do your shopping on Amazon.com with a great deal of luck!

No need, fellow Chief riders to remove the shock and seek out a machinist! . Just buy one as I mentioned.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I use my Yamaha Spanner Wrenches.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts