Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else find this space a bit tight? I am riding with steel-reinforced boots, but don't have a huge foot. I find my toe feels kind of "stuck" and have to slide it out sideways. More importantly, is there an adjustment? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Does anyone else find this space a bit tight? I am riding with steel-reinforced boots, but don't have a huge foot. I find my toe feels kind of "stuck" and have to slide it out sideways. More importantly, is there an adjustment? Thanks in advance.
I noticed exactly when I started wearing my Harley steel-toes. I'm thinking heel shifter with mini floorboards maybe?

·
Registered
358 Posts
I do not have my Scout yet, so this is just speculation. Isn't the position of the shifter infinitely adjustable at the connecting link between the shifter and the bellcrank on the side of the motor?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
A mechanic at Indian adjusted the shifter some what for me. An option is the Kuryakan mini-floorboards, chrome or black. 5-½” long x 4” wide. Utilizing splined adapters, the boards can be positioned forward, back, or center at almost any angle.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,354 Posts
Yep! Same problem with my big ol' boot too.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
A mechanic at Indian adjusted the shifter some what for me. An option is the Kuryakan mini-floorboards, chrome or black. 5-½” long x 4” wide. Utilizing splined adapters, the boards can be positioned forward, back, or center at almost any angle.
I installed the Kuryakyn mini floors. Love em!

Reactions: Roll On

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
It is an easy fix...assuming you have some metric wrenches. On either end of the shift rod, you will need to loosen the jamb nuts and then remove one of the rod ends from its mount to the bike (either end will work). You can now lengthen or shorten the shift rod by turning the rod in or out of the rod ends. Test fit with your boots and then reinstall the rod end that was previously removed and then tighten the 2 jamb nuts (torque to 10.8 Nm). Hope this helps.

DO NOT remove the rod ends, the rod itself has both right hand threads on one end and left hand threads on the other end and once you loosen the jam nuts you just turn the rod to make it longer and it makes the shifter go higher. If you remove the rod ends you will get the whole rod out of adjustment and have more threads in one end than the other and there are not that many threads to spare. DONT REMOVE THE ROD ENDS!!!
In the case that you don't have enough adjustment you can actually take the shifter off the pinion and move it two or three small notches to adjust it higher then reposition it with the rod again.

The service manual warns against using the last method, but there is not enough threads on the rod to make large adjustments for us Bigfoots!.
I moved mine three notches higher then readjusted the rod again so it had more threads in the rod ends.
Easy to return it to original because it has alignment marks.

·
10,006 Posts
I admit that removing the end from the mount is correct for putting on the new part, but is totally unnecessary to remove either rod end to adjust the shifter height unless you are replacing the shifter mechanism!
That is what you said to do to adjust the shifter!

This was to a guy that was not replacing his shifter mechanism.

On either end of the shift rod, you will need to loosen the jamb nuts and then remove one of the rod ends from its mount to the bike (either end will work).

The point I was trying to make is neither end of the adjustment rod needs to come off because one side is right threaded and other end is left threaded and by turning the rod they move in and out the same amount in each rod end, if one end is removed it will only run out the threads on the one end before it can get long enough to raise the shifter the proper amount! :D

That is what my warning to the guy was all about, Sorry we misunderstood each other.

Not talking face to face with each other sometimes does that and get misinterpreted! Hazards of the internet forums! :D:D:D.
;

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I admit that removing the end from the mount is correct for putting on the new part, but is totally unnecessary to remove either rod end to adjust the shifter height unless you are replacing the shifter mechanism!
That is what you said to do to adjust the shifter!

This was to a guy that was not replacing his shifter mechanism.

The point I was trying to make is neither end of the adjustment rod needs to come off because one side is right threaded and other end is left threaded and by turning the rod they move in and out the same amount in each rod end, if one end is removed it will only run out the threads on the one end before it can get long enough to raise the shifter the proper amount! :D

That is what my warning to the guy was all about, Sorry we misunderstood each other.

Not talking face to face with each other sometimes does that and get misinterpreted! Hazards of the internet forums! :D:D:D.
;
To reduce any confusion, I deleted the posts.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
How did you fit the to take the play out and to get them level. They do not fit snug like the OME pegs
I used the Kuryakyn splined adapters for Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki

They have a set screw that you can use to adjust the level of the boards from the sides. The Indian peg mount has a hole in it that the set screw will slip into if you try to flatten them out too far, so a slight uptilt is necessary.

·
10,006 Posts
To reduce any confusion, I deleted the posts.

I profusely apologize to Northern Producer for the confusion that I caused!

I was only trying to prevent the man that started the thread from doing something that could have taken him on a wrong turn by unnecessarily dissembling parts from his bike and I suppose I probably over reacted to warn him!

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I profusely apologize to Northern Producer for the confusion that I caused!

I was only trying to prevent the man that started the thread from doing something that could have taken him on a wrong turn by unnecessarily dissembling parts from his bike and I suppose I probably over reacted to warn him!
Hey, Ronnie...from one vet to another...we're good!

·
flying down the road trying to loosen my load.
2,649 Posts
I'm a small foot 9 and using triumph 43 cm boots and yes it's TOO TIGHT. I will be changing this with the help of my New Indian Dealership that is opening end of month in Mobile, Al. Right now as it is, it affects (degrades) my shifting control.

·
Registered
88 Posts
What is the part number on the mini-floor boards?

1 - 20 of 69 Posts