Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is something probably simple.. I hope I'm just not seeing it. in the pic you see the wires. There are actually 4 in the pigtail itself.. the 4th not needed as it's for expanding the sound system.
The red and black are obviously pos-neg/grnd. The smaller orange is to connect to the ACC connection for when turning on the bike...the soundbar gets power.
The problem I'm having is I cannot find and connection to attach it to. All wiring in this area are all encapsulated in large clip-in connectors.
I have a 2017 Chief Dark Horse.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys/gals can give.

Attachments

·
Rider
327 Posts
This is something probably simple.. I hope I'm just not seeing it. in the pic you see the wires. There are actually 4 in the pigtail itself.. the 4th not needed as it's for expanding the sound system.
The red and black are obviously pos-neg/grnd. The smaller orange is to connect to the ACC connection for when turning on the bike...the soundbar gets power.
The problem I'm having is I cannot find and connection to attach it to. All wiring in this area are all encapsulated in large clip-in connectors.
I have a 2017 Chief Dark Horse.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys/gals can give.
Not sure what other connectors are underneath the seat but at the very least you can use the heated seat connector to power that.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Lemme look at a wiring diagram tomorrow and get back to you. I wanna say pink/green is a switched accessory but cannot remember. Safer than that would be to put an inline switch on the speaker so as not to tap into your highly sensitive electrical system.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a 2017 Indian chief vintage that I installed a kuryakensound bar road thunder. The black and red wires are easy. You have to remove the seat to get at the battery. Once you have the seat off use a continuity tester to find out which wire in the harness is connected to your Start up powerAnd tie into that. I am a novice and the entire Installation process Took about an hour

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
On my 2014 Classic there is an ignition controlled power connection in the cowl behind the headlight. If I'm not mistaken it is there on all of the models, provided just for installing options.

·
Registered
52 Posts
On my 2014 Classic there is an ignition controlled power connection in the cowl behind the headlight. If I'm not mistaken it is there on all of the models, provided just for installing options.
There is, but the soundbar has the wiring that runs all the way under the seat. I've got a similar issue but I'm just not smart enough to figure out how to tap into the existing switched source set up for the heated seat not in use. Would I close the circuit from + to - on the plug and tap into that? I'm currently running it to + on the battery but have dropped a small switch along the wire until I figure this same isssue out.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
There is, but the soundbar has the wiring that runs all the way under the seat. I've got a similar issue but I'm just not smart enough to figure out how to tap into the existing switched source set up for the heated seat not in use. Would I close the circuit from + to - on the plug and tap into that? I'm currently running it to + on the battery but have dropped a small switch along the wire until I figure this same isssue out.
What I would do is run an extended wire through the channel under the tank back up to the switched source behind the cowl. Much less chance of creating an issue by tapping into an existing wire that is there for just that purpose. This is especially true with modern electronics. They put those wires there to help prevent possible issues.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice everyone. I got it done using the heated seat connector. Went to Napa and got the receiving end of that connector fitted with two leads. One to the ground and the hot to the ignition lead. Works like a charm

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did you pull the tank and run the wire in the channel
I did(somewhat)... Took out all bolts holding tank on. Then just raised the bottom part high enough to feed cable assembly through. Once it was positioned in the channel, I put tank back in position. Not bolting it back down till I positioned the cable assembly that best work.

Addition: I need to add that I had my son help holding tank end up so I had 2 free hands to feed cable through

1 - 12 of 12 Posts