Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanting to upgrade to better sound. Currently have speakers in the firing and touring package. Wanting to add 8" saddle speakers, different fairing speakers and larger amp. Don't know if I want 8" speakers with a separate tweeter or just a 8" speaker in the lids. I don't want to minimize trunk or saddle bag space but looking for an amp that goes in the fairing. One place recommended Rockford fosgate. What's your input and what have you done.

·
Bronze member
2,275 Posts
I've only replaced the fairing speakers in my 17 Chieftain with Focal 130's and added insulation. Plenty of sound for me. There's a couple of guys on the forum that's gone full out on their bikes along with what you're talking about, hopefully they'll chime in. Can't remember who. Do a Google search for Indian Chieftain stereo upgrades, they even posted photos, good luck.

·
Registered
269 Posts
@Crimsonsc3 Is kind of the guy I usually look towards for sound inspiration. Sorry but I keep volunteering him for extra forum duties ;) He's a good dude and know's his shit though.

Reactions: Crimsonsc3

·
Registered
356 Posts
what year is your bike? I have a 18 chieftain and i have done what you are talking about. I am running jl audio 8.8 speaker in the lids they are dirty bird lids. i have ds 18 5.25 mid range speakers in the fairings a memphis 200 watt amp powering the front speakers and a 800.4 sound digital amp powering the rear speakers with a sound processor. everything is mounted in the fairing, is it tight yes very. I also figured out how to do this without cutting any wires. the only function i lost is the auto audio control to lower the sound when i come to a stop or slow down. there are better 8 inch speakers out there but i dont know about better marine grade speakers. I have ds 18 horns mounted in the lids as well but they are not working now a rain storm did them in so they are just filling the holes and really are not needed with the jl speaker.. there is a company out of McCook nebraska that makes lids without tweeter cutouts I cant think of name of them Crimson knows the name he had a set may still have them.. it is alot of work to do this but I am happy i didnt loose any space in the saddle bags other than what the speaker hangs down.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I’m starting with a 400 amp for the 5.25 Rockford fosgate for the fairing and tour package. If not loud enough will be adding 8” speakers to dirty bird lowers.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry for a late response to this discussion. Have installed the speakers in the fairing and trunk. Sounds good but wanted more and ordered 8" lowers from dirty bird, 8" speakers and another 400 watt amp. Will all be installed tomorrow

·
Registered
419 Posts
what year is your bike? I have a 18 chieftain and i have done what you are talking about. I am running jl audio 8.8 speaker in the lids they are dirty bird lids. i have ds 18 5.25 mid range speakers in the fairings a memphis 200 watt amp powering the front speakers and a 800.4 sound digital amp powering the rear speakers with a sound processor. everything is mounted in the fairing, is it tight yes very. I also figured out how to do this without cutting any wires. the only function i lost is the auto audio control to lower the sound when i come to a stop or slow down. there are better 8 inch speakers out there but i dont know about better marine grade speakers. I have ds 18 horns mounted in the lids as well but they are not working now a rain storm did them in so they are just filling the holes and really are not needed with the jl speaker.. there is a company out of McCook nebraska that makes lids without tweeter cutouts I cant think of name of them Crimson knows the name he had a set may still have them.. it is alot of work to do this but I am happy i didnt loose any space in the saddle bags other than what the speaker hangs down.
Care to show some pics of everything crammed in the fairing? Just curious

·
Registered
356 Posts
😂😂😂 the price I pay for building the craziest build ever
next time i tear into it i will take some pics and that will probably be soon i just got another evox amp to install going to hook it up to the front speakers. keep in mind i did remove the factory amp in the fairing and made a plate out of aluminum to mount the amps to. my big concern in rain i wish they were marine grade

·
Registered
419 Posts
next time i tear into it i will take some pics and that will probably be soon i just got another evox amp to install going to hook it up to the front speakers. keep in mind i did remove the factory amp in the fairing and made a plate out of aluminum to mount the amps to. my big concern in rain i wish they were marine grade
I think you did show me a little of it before

1 - 18 of 18 Posts