Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was exploring Indian's accessory web page and clicked on the "New" link and it displayed "Ride Command Connected Services Renewal" for $74.99, part # 2830610. This came up under my year and model ('21 Scout), so I changed models to a '21 Sixty, then '19 Scout and Sixty and again it showed up.

So, inviting thoughts from the group:

A: Am I missing something? Is this for real? Is this a phone app for Scout owners?

B: Is this another error on Indian's website?

C: Is Indian planning on releasing the new Chief Ride Command speedo for the Scout and this accessory got posted ahead of the release by mistake?

I'm hoping for C, but I think it's B. But if I'm wrong, can someone please inform me?

·
Premium Member
2020 Scout Bobber
229 Posts
Ride Command 7" Display
Item # 2884072
$1,549.99 USD

Maybe they are going to offer it for the bikes.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The Ride Command Connected Services includes live traffic and weather overlays on the nav system. I believe I got it included for free, maybe for a year, on my new 21 Chieftain but it doesn't last forever and must be renewed in time if you want to keet it. Only problem I've found with the weather overlay is that you have to zoom really far out to see storm clouds, etc. unless they're right over you. I don't believe I'd renew it.

From Indian's website "New connected features include traffic and weather overlays, so riders can plan their ride to avoid traffic and poor weather conditions."

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Ride Command Connected Services includes live traffic and weather overlays on the nav system. I believe I got it included for free, maybe for a year, on my new 21 Chieftain but it doesn't last forever and must be renewed in time if you want to keet it. Only problem I've found with the weather overlay is that you have to zoom really far out to see storm clouds, etc. unless they're right over you. I don't believe I'd renew it.

From Indian's website "New connected features include traffic and weather overlays, so riders can plan their ride to avoid traffic and poor weather conditions."
That makes perfect sense for your Chieftain LifeLongRider. I'm confused as to why it's showing as an accessory for the Scout.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Stuff has been glitchy on their website for quite awhile, especially when it comes to accessories and model compatibility. If it’s really important to you call Indian, they are the ones to answer your question.

·
Registered
217 Posts
My dealer was pretty certain the ride command dash was coming to the scout. Doesn't seem like a stretch

·
Bronze member
2,822 Posts
The question is, will we be able to retrofit it to the prior year scouts?? 🙏 🙏 🙏
I can answer that…No. It wouldn't be financially beneficial for IM to do that. If you want that feature, IM wants to sell you a new bike. The vehicle industry almost never makes new technology with a retrofit for previous year models.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks like my initial suspicion is probably right - it's an error. Agree with TigerGA, probably cost prohibitive and/or not technically feasible to retrofit.

Appreciate the responses.

·
Bronze member
1,854 Posts
Looks like my initial suspicion is probably right - it's an error. Agree with TigerGA, probably cost prohibitive and/or not technically feasible to retrofit.

Appreciate the responses.
at $1500 it is already cost prohibitive. For that price I may hazard a guess that it can be retrofitted. That's a lot of wampum.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I can answer that…No. It wouldn't be financially beneficial for IM to do that. If you want that feature, IM wants to sell you a new bike. The vehicle industry almost never makes new technology with a retrofit for previous year models.
That doesn't make sense at all lol

People love their bikes, customize their bikes and want to upgrade their bikes. Why wouldn't IMC sell you a $1200 pod at high margins?! Especially since their factories are already impacted - they can barely keep up with demand. Let's just add to that demand. That'll show those pesky customers

At any rate everything they need is already interfacing to the existing dash: Power, CAN bus, round display mounting bracket. They're even a similar size. "Retrofit" is just uninstall/reinstall and copy over the mileage to the new cluster.

·
Bronze member
2,822 Posts
That doesn't make sense at all lol

People love their bikes, customize their bikes and want to upgrade their bikes. Why wouldn't IMC sell you a $1200 pod at high margins?! Especially since their factories are already impacted - they can barely keep up with demand. Let's just add to that demand. That'll show those pesky customers

At any rate everything they need is already interfacing to the existing dash: Power, CAN bus, round display mounting bracket. They're even a similar size. "Retrofit" is just uninstall/reinstall and copy over the mileage to the new cluster.
IM wants you to buy a new bike to get the most current tech, they’re not going to to make it less costly for you, at the expense of being detrimental to IM. Can you think of any technology that was made retrofittable by a vehicle or bike manufacturer for older models? You can’t even put CarPlay on 2019 and earlier models. It’s not going to happen.

·
Registered
217 Posts
IM wants you to buy a new bike to get the most current tech, they’re not going to to make it less costly for you, at the expense of being detrimental to IM. Can you think of any technology that was made retrofittable by a vehicle or bike manufacturer for older models? You can’t even put CarPlay on 2019 and earlier models. It’s not going to happen.
I put AA and carplay on my 2012 GTI. Just bought a 2018 head unit from a Passat. Plugged right in and slid right into the double-DIM slot. Steering wheel controls worked, GPS worked, Bluetooth worked. Manufacturers focus on interfaces to minimize development time and improve quality. In the case of this cluster, it really is as simple as plug-and-play; all functionality of the cluster is within the cluster. The only thing it can't do on its own, as I said, is validate the mileage.

Now the question becomes, "How do I (IMC) maximize profits?" The math looks something like this:
  • I can sell 10,000 clusters at a DCM (direct contribution to margin) of $200 after materials, freight and labor kickback to the dealers. Doing this will add an extra $300k to the development of the cluster in order to manage the interfaces and backwards compatibility. I make 10,000*$200 - $300,000 = $1,700,000
  • I can use the cluster to sell 1,000 bikes incremental (ie, bikes I would sell if the feature were not available to older models) at a DCM of $1,000, and I don't have to pay the extra $300k up front to make the cluster backwards compatible. I make 1,000*$1,000 = $1,000,000.
Obviously these numbers are fictitious, but it illustrates the point. I think the DCM on the full bike is a lot lower than what I have shown here. Probably closer to $500. Unfortunately it's hard to estimate as Polaris doesn't publish sales volumes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts