Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the rider back rest pad and mounting bracket and followed the instructions to the letter. When I install the back rest pad into the bracket it pulls the leather and doesn't seem to have the fit and finish I think an Indian should have. It's impossible to put the bracket in wrong. The seat is installed correctly. I'm not missing "the slot" when I insert it. Is this normal?

·
Rider
943 Posts
thats normal and I totally agree it looks bad and Indian dropped the ball on that one.

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
Very poor fit and finish, shame on Polaris/Indian!

·
Silver member
4,975 Posts
That is not good. It seems it is not the right backrest or it wasn't really designed to fit the Rogue seat...

Reactions: IMARIDER

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,057 Posts
The one on my roadmaster does the same thing...

·
Rider
943 Posts
I bought the rider back rest pad and mounting bracket and followed the instructions to the letter. When I install the back rest pad into the bracket it pulls the leather and doesn't seem to have the fit and finish I think an Indian should have. It's impossible to put the bracket in wrong. The seat is installed correctly. I'm not missing "the slot" when I insert it. Is this normal?

View attachment 601586 View attachment 601585 View attachment 601584
This is installed by the dealer at time of purchase. I questioned it and they said that's just how they fit. I am thinking of taking it off and redrilling the bracket to fit better.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I've got the Rogue Seat on my '19 and also switched to an older "single style bucket seat" (I'm not sure what the correct term is for the older seat?) and both seats "pull" when I insert the backrest like that. It's just the way it is designed....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just back from the dealer and they said it's installed correctly. I think I'll drop by my local machine shop and have them "bend" it a little to fit right. There will still be plenty of adjustability with the screw setting.

·
Rider
943 Posts
Just back from the dealer and they said it's installed correctly. I think I'll drop by my local machine shop and have them "bend" it a little to fit right. There will still be plenty of adjustability with the screw setting.
Post a picture of the bend, please.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I ended up using three or four washers on the front two screws of the mounting bracket to angle the backrest backwards.

Centered the backrest shaft in the hole a lot nicer.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I ended up using three or four washers on the front two screws of the mounting bracket to angle the backrest backwards.

Centered the backrest shaft in the hole a lot nicer.
+1
Did the same on my '18 Roadmaster.

·
Bronze member
2,545 Posts
This is my Challenger seat/backrest. It doesn’t pull the seat and fits correctly. The Challenger uses a different mount than the other Indians. Could the dealer installed the wrong mount? If it is the correct mount, I’d take it off and reinstall.
View attachment 601948

·
Rider
943 Posts
This is my Challenger seat/backrest. It doesn’t pull the seat and fits correctly. The Challenger uses a different mount than the other Indians. Could the dealer installed the wrong mount? If it is the correct mount, I’d take it off and reinstall.
View attachment 601948
When the temps get to be under 100 I'll spend the time changing it by bending or adding washers as others have suggested. Your pic did not work at least for me but am glad Indian got it right for the Challenger.

·
Rider
943 Posts
UPDATE: I added 4 flat washers and a lock washer under the front holes to tilt the bracket backwards. It fits really tight and feels much better. It was tight getting the seat back in place. I think I might have cross threaded one of the seat screws.
View attachment 601978
That looks good I'll be doing the same when it cools down.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts