Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my Scout. I love my Scout and I'm a stock kind of guy. 15 bikes in and I've never modified anything on any of them (not counting tires).

But, after a couple road trips and some rough commuting in the city, I've started to think about an old quote people say about living in Seattle. "It's like having a supermodel girlfriend who always has a cold".

So... I've searched the threads for consensus, I've tried to get to answers and at least tried to come up with reasonably framed questions.

TIRES: The Kendas suck, ok. I know they have their defenders and if they are working for you, great. I hate them. I've ridden tires on bikes hauled out of yard sales with thread hanging out of them and bubbles that I had more faith in than the Kendas (on chilly rainy days, if it's 70 degrees and dry they're fine).

The general consensus seems to be that the top choices are the Night Dragons and the Commander II's. The Dragons give a slightly better grip and the Commanders give somewhat more mileage. However - it's been asked a few times but not answered that I can find (with a good faith effort). Has anyone found dual sport tires that work with stock rims? I really have a MOTO-light concept in mind (brush guards, moto tires, but stock bodywork). I don't want to stop and turn around when the asphalt ends. I've already taken the bike off-road a bit and actually I have to say the Kendas (while being a vile and hated tire) were really ok in the dirt and gravel. But I want a real 80/20 dual sport kind of tire that doesn't require new wheels. Can we get them? And can we get ones that don't suck in the rain?

HANDLEBARS: The stock handlebars are very uncomfortable for me. My wrists are forced to turn inward in a weird way. I adjusted the height, and it's better, but I have to change them. My Vstar handlebars were also angled, but with a downward drop instead of an inward twist (but they aren't apes by any stretch). I would either like to find something like those, or possibly a straight bar that sits back (I'm short). Has there been a general consensus on available bars (given the reduction of the scout bars)? Any bars that worked well for shorter riders?

Thanks! I have to say I started with about 20 questions and the forums were able to answer or at least point me in the direction of most of them.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
I love my Scout. I love my Scout and I'm a stock kind of guy. 15 bikes in and I've never modified anything on any of them (not counting tires).

But, after a couple road trips and some rough commuting in the city, I've started to think about an old quote people say about living in Seattle. "It's like having a supermodel girlfriend who always has a cold".

So... I've searched the threads for consensus, I've tried to get to answers and at least tried to come up with reasonably framed questions.

TIRES: The Kendas suck, ok. I know they have their defenders and if they are working for you, great. I hate them. I've ridden tires on bikes hauled out of yard sales with thread hanging out of them and bubbles that I had more faith in than the Kendas (on chilly rainy days, if it's 70 degrees and dry they're fine).

The general consensus seems to be that the top choices are the Night Dragons and the Commander II's. The Dragons give a slightly better grip and the Commanders give somewhat more mileage. However - it's been asked a few times but not answered that I can find (with a good faith effort). Has anyone found dual sport tires that work with stock rims? I really have a MOTO-light concept in mind (brush guards, moto tires, but stock bodywork). I don't want to stop and turn around when the asphalt ends. I've already taken the bike off-road a bit and actually I have to say the Kendas (while being a vile and hated tire) were really ok in the dirt and gravel. But I want a real 80/20 dual sport kind of tire that doesn't require new wheels. Can we get them? And can we get ones that don't suck in the rain?

HANDLEBARS: The stock handlebars are very uncomfortable for me. My wrists are forced to turn inward in a weird way. I adjusted the height, and it's better, but I have to change them. My Vstar handlebars were also angled, but with a downward drop instead of an inward twist (but they aren't apes by any stretch). I would either like to find something like those, or possibly a straight bar that sits back (I'm short). Has there been a general consensus on available bars (given the reduction of the scout bars)? Any bars that worked well for shorter riders?

Thanks! I have to say I started with about 20 questions and the forums were able to answer or at least point me in the direction of most of them.
Handlebars: The V-Star bars are/were probably buckhorn bars. Look at this thread where some Flanders bars are mentioned.

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
I think we are limited in tires due to size.. but im sure theres is more out there then the 3 big ones we constantly hear about.
If you "search by size" at tire retail sites, youll have some luck.

I agree that the stock bars lack something.. for me I dont notice the "inward twist"? maybe I do? But but yes, there is something amiss with them.
I tryed some tracker bars, had me to much like a clam, so I put them on my Bonneville.. then,, looking on my stock Bonneville bars thought. Hmmmmmmmm... Im going to try them. Granted they not up hi upright style bars as you are searching as I like to be balanced in the wind via slight forward lean, and lil pullback. I find that more comfortable at speed then having to hold on for dear life that being so upright in the wind causes.. now, not sport bike lean, just enough so your neither holding your self up, nor on, in the wind, Zero G if you will.. I find it also takes some weight off my tailbone and dont get sleepy cheeks as fast, I get more miles between breaks that way. Not saying your wrong in your desires of bars, but rather saying I agree, stock bars are lil off for me, and how I get comfy.
Ill post pics and results on the triumph bars when I actually get to it..

·
Registered
1,683 Posts

Good discussion. Thanks for sharing thoughts on tires.
Your Seattle comment made me laugh. Although I must say my luck held most trips made there for good weather. One time a heat wave hit and the hotel had no A/C, so it was like a supermodel with a fever.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Check out these tires - maybe more that just dual sport - but it confirms you have options. The blue scout is from Indian of Springfield ,MA - so maybe they can help.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

·
Registered
58 Posts
FWIW I have the mini-apes and love them. I'm short too, so I tilted them back just a touch (they follow the same line as the front fork) and I actually find them very comfortable all around, including on my wrists. I was originally looking at the reduced reach bars, but the mini-apes were way better for me.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think we are limited in tires due to size.. but im sure theres is more out there then the 3 big ones we constantly hear about.
If you "search by size" at tire retail sites, youll have some luck..
I've tried at all the online spots I can think of. Nothing in a Dual Sport I can find in stock size. :(

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Check out these tires - maybe more that just dual sport - but it confirms you have options. The blue scout is from Indian of Springfield ,MA - so maybe they can help.

These are a little more OR than I want. :eek:. But you're right, they do show that there may be something out there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts