Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Founding Member
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tonto's always been a little cranky(pun) when starting in cold weather(45F and below). With my 5 year warranty expired(Dec of 2019) and using only Indian brand oil, I decided(after much research) to go with Castrol's Actevo 10W40 4T part synthetic MC oil. I believe the Indian's 20/40 is made by Castrol and since Castrol stopped selling their version of this oil to the public, Indian has a monopoly on the 20/40 Semi-Synth blend they sell... IT'S A SCAM!...3000 miles after coveting to the Castrol 10/40 and there is a noticeable difference in the motor's character( 2014 Chieftain #2138 with almost 80,000 miles). The bike runs smoother, quieter, my MPG got better and the cold weather starts(so far only 45F) have been flawless! All I can say is try it and see for your self.

Attachments

·
Silver member
5,505 Posts
Not to start another earl thread butt.... In my '15 Vintage I use Mobile 1 20/50 MC oil. I haven't experienced any hard or hesitant start ups even at or around 32* F. Maybe because it's a full synthetic?

Reactions: 2Cool

·
Founding Member
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not to start another earl thread butt.... In my '15 Vintage I use Mobile 1 20/50 MC oil. I haven't experienced any hard or hesitant start ups even at or around 32* F. Maybe because it's a full synthetic?
I know this is my first venture into the oil thread nightmare! But I was blown away by the results so far and being a "Founding Member" thought it was noteworthy.

·
Silver member
5,505 Posts
Bacon grease, I put that shit in everything.
When I go for a rip I feel like the Pied Piper of stray dogs and fat chicks.
Yeah butt, this is the best though.... :giggle:

Liqueur Drink Bottle Cottonseed oil Oil

·
Rider
738 Posts
Hey Willie !
A couple of 'witty' replies came to mind but I figured Hinks busy enough already. no sense in piling more on his plate. so I'll just go with a 'like' 😜

·
Registered
589 Posts
I have used Castrol's 10W40 4T full synthetic over the years with no issues although I think it makes my valve train louder on the sport bikes, most modern oils are good, just need to meet the specifications and move on as there is nothing to see here🤗...

BTW- I have used Rotella T6 5W-40 in many a motorcycle, I think it was around $19/gal and free delivery with prime last week.

Reactions: dalethemale

·
Silver member
5,505 Posts
Hey Willie !
A couple of 'witty' replies came to mind but I figured Hinks busy enough already. no sense in piling more on his plate. so I'll just go with a 'like' 😜
So many possibilities. Shame that they go to waste LOL

Reactions: TPcreeper

·
Founding Member
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
See?? There you go...you just had to start another oil argument, didn't you? 😁😁😁😁You would think I should know better, after being here for over 5 years and never started an oil thread. I should have deleted it before I started it.

·
Bronze member
4,870 Posts
Tonto's always been a little cranky(pun) when starting in cold weather(45F and below). With my 5 year warranty expired(Dec of 2019) and using only Indian brand oil, I decided(after much research) to go with Castrol's Actevo 10W40 4T part synthetic MC oil. I believe the Indian's 20/40 is made by Castrol and since Castrol stopped selling their version of this oil to the public, Indian has a monopoly on the 20/40 Semi-Synth blend they sell... IT'S A SCAM!...3000 miles after coveting to the Castrol 10/40 and there is a noticeable difference in the motor's character( 2014 Chieftain #2138 with almost 80,000 miles). The bike runs smoother, quieter, my MPG got better and the cold weather starts(so far only 45F) have been flawless! All I can say is try it and see for your self.

Indian and all vehicles Polaris oil is made by Lubtech which makes oils for most OEM's By the way you can use 15W60 full synthetic now. Always could. But Polaris made it official.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Indian and all vehicles Polaris oil is made by Lubtech which makes oils for most OEM's By the way you can use 15W60 full synthetic now. Always could. But Polaris made it official.
If ok to ask , where has Polaris oked the 15/60 motor oil to run in the 111/116, I could never find any documentation on it, if the dealers says you can that's not Polaris saying you can

·
Bronze member
4,870 Posts
If ok to ask , where has Polaris oked the 15/60 motor oil to run in the 111/116, I could never find any documentation on it, if the dealers says you can that's not Polaris saying you can

Polaris says you can. As most knowledgeable competent mechanics also would tell you. Nothing wrong with synthetic oil.

What are the advantages of using Indian Motorcycle Full Synthetic 15W60 vs Indian Motorcycle Semi-Synthetic 20W40 in my engine?
Both engine oils contain our proprietary API SN additive technology, which is designed to significantly reduce engine component wear and to extend storage protection from rust and corrosion. Both oils also contain customized clutch additives, which provide fade-free operation throughout the life of the oil.
The 20W40 is the same semi-synthetic oil used in factory fill. It is extremely shear resistant because of its narrower viscosity range.
Our Full Synthetic 15W60 uses the highest quality synthetic PAO-based stocks to reduce oil shear caused by high heat and stress, while extending the oil change interval in our high performance Scout engine to 10,000 miles. Other models using 15W60 models should still have their oil changed every 5,000 miles. The initial 15W, or winter weight of the oil, lends to easier startups and instant oil flow and lubrication in cooler ambient temperatures. The 60W end viscosity offers extremely high thermal stability protection and smooths shifting under heavy loads and high heat conditions.
The Full Synthetic 15W60 oil can be used in all Indian Motorcycle engines and models. It is the recommended oil for use in Scout models.

·
Rider
1,233 Posts
I'm using Driven HD 15w50 full synthetic with K&P S1 filter, it is made using the latest mPAO base stock, cold starts at 50 degrees are a breeze, I feel like my Stage 2 Thunder Stroke 111 is well protected...carry on =)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts