Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2016 Springfield and some time ago purchased 2014 leather bags with a plan to figure out a quick-release method of interchanging them with the hardbags that came with the bike.

After recently having to deal with my left-side hard bag coming out of the spools [despite proper attachment] and falling to the ground on my way to work, I purchased the Osprey Limited Security Spools, 32 mm for my year bike. The kit comes with 4 bolts and washers, two for each saddlebag to bolt the bag to the spool. No more fasteners = no more risk of losing your bag while riding. Additional to my standard order, I inquired of the difference between the hard bag kit and soft, and found it was only the length of the bolts used to attach the bags to the Osprey spools. I was provided a set of "long bolts" as part of the standard kit but also asked for and received at no additional cost a set of 4 "short bolts" for the leather bags.

The only modification you need to make is to your leather bags: the steel tabs that sit atop the spool when installed in the traditional way must be clipped off. I did this easily with my dremel and a cutting wheel.

I'm very happy to increase the versatility of my Indian, and hope to others enjoying the opportunity as well.

Osprey Limited Security Spools

20200803_184551.jpg
20200803_184606.jpg
20200803_183546.jpg

Reactions: PE4CE and wasichu34

·
Registered
55 Posts
Nice work, I'll keep it in mind when I move up to the 111! By the way, did you also change your tank when you added the new instrument cluster, or did it fit the oem tank just fine?

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice work, I'll keep it in mind when I move up to the 111! By the way, did you also change your tank when you added the new instrument cluster, or did it fit the oem tank just fine?
Thanks. The instrument cluster was a big pain in the ass but I did not need to modify my tank.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Looks good! Always nice to have options. And by the looks of your pics you’ve got pretty much everything covered(see the roadmaster lowers and trunk and couple extra seats in there).

The only modification you need to make is to your leather bags: the steel tabs that sit atop the spool when installed in the traditional way must be clipped off. I did this easily with my dremel and a cutting wheel.
Cutting the tabs isn’t a necessary modification though. In fact I found it made bolting up the leather bags super easy, rest those tabs on the spools and the holes lined right up for ya. The 2019+ leather bags have slightly wider tabs to fit the larger spools better, but all the tabs on pre2019 bags do is make the bags rest maybe 1/4in higher, still bolts on just fine with them.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks good! Always nice to have options. And by the looks of your pics you’ve got pretty much everything covered(see the roadmaster lowers and trunk and couple extra seats in there).

Cutting the tabs isn’t a necessary modification though. In fact I found it made bolting up the leather bags super easy, rest those tabs on the spools and the holes lined right up for ya. The 2019+ leather bags have slightly wider tabs to fit the larger spools better, but all the tabs on pre2019 bags do is make the bags rest maybe 1/4in higher, still bolts on just fine with them.
Good to know, thank you for sharing! Also, if you take a close look stop the white box, you'll see too that there's a quick-release fairing for a full-bown touring set up!

·
Registered
329 Posts
I've added the leather bags from an earlier model to my 2019 Springfield. The seller was nice enough to include the spools. Still tinkering with getting rid of the quick release set-up and going to bolt-on for the added security for the leather bags. I really love the versatility of the Springfield. Truly a "transformer bike".

Good to know, thank you for sharing! Also, if you take a close look stop the white box, you'll see too that there's a quick-release fairing for a full-bown touring set up!
What quick release fairing did you end up with?

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've added the leather bags from an earlier model to my 2019 Springfield. The seller was nice enough to include the spools. Still tinkering with getting rid of the quick release set-up and going to bolt-on for the added security for the leather bags. I really love the versatility of the Springfield. Truly a "transformer bike".

What quick release fairing did you end up with? View attachment 600357
After losing my left hardbag recently, I am solidly in favor of getting the bolt-on kit. It really is still a very quick disassembly.

The fairing I have is from Wide Open Customs. Check out my thread on it here: WOC quick release fairing. I still need to figure out the audio for it and get it painted before I start using it but I think it'll be a good addition to the versatility of the bike.

Reactions: BHlvr
1 - 7 of 7 Posts