Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Solution to make the Indian Heel Shifter practical

13K views 39 replies 24 participants last post by  indian davidson 
#1 ·
Some people don't like heel shifters and some love them. For those that like them, you might have bought the Indian heel shifter for your 111 or you might be thinking about it. There is a problem with the heel shifter.... It is mounted on top of the floorboard and takes up too much space. It leaves a small area for your foot. www.IndianAftermarket.com is now offering the "Thunder Works" floorboard spacer kit for 111's. It is easy to install and it moves the floorboard out 7/8". It also allows you to mount the heel shifter on the back side of the bracket. These two things give you back the floorboard space. It also includes an extension for the toe shifter.

#6 ·
Hey guys, if you are happy with the heel shifter and the floorboard as is, great. But I have installed this mod on my Springfield and I think it is a big improvement. For those that feel the floorboard is too crowded with the heel shifter, here is a real solution.

#8 ·
The first thing I pitch on the floorboard cruisers I've owned is the heel shift lever. I've never understood their value, and yes, they do restrict the movement of the left foot. I was glad to see that my Chief Classic and Vintage weren't inflicted with heel shifters as standard equipment, saves me the trouble of tossing them.

#11 ·
#13 ·
Some people don't like heel shifters and some love them. For those that like them, you might have bought the Indian heel shifter for your 111 or you might be thinking about it. There is a problem with the heel shifter.... It is mounted on top of the floorboard and takes up too much space. It leaves a small area for your foot. www.IndianAftermarket.com is now offering the "Thunder Works" floorboard spacer kit for 111's. It is easy to install and it moves the floorboard out 7/8". It also allows you to mount the heel shifter on the back side of the bracket. These two things give you back the floorboard space. It also includes an extension for the toe shifter.
I like this. That would really help with the factory heel shifter. Just a bit steep for what you get. About $90 for some bolts and a few spacers. D

#19 ·
I don't have the heel shifter on my motorcycle yet, but when I get one it'll be the Aeromach one that positions it behind the rear portion of the floorboard so you don't lose any room.

Reactions: RBHorne
#20 ·
I often ride with just the balls of my feet on the rearmost part of the floorboards, almost in a 'standard' bike's peg position, so I wouldn't even want a heel shifter that was positioned further back.

This won't work with all of them, but with one of my past cruisers, I just removed the little peg section of the heel shifter, leaving the lever itself. This worked pretty well, giving me enough room to move my foot back on the board, and also allowing a heel shift by just pivoting my heel inwards to engage the shaft arm.

#22 ·
The link does not work. I will ask then to fix it again. www.IndianAftermarket.com I make the spacers out of black Delrin because it is very strong, does not corrode, does not require powder coat, and is easy to machine. It does not hold a thread as well as aluminum so I still make the toe shifter extension out of aluminum. It is black powder coated. The Delrin saved me time in manufacture but still offers a high quality product.

#25 ·
Delrin is very durable and heat resistant. It is also very dense as far as plastics go so it stands up to movement. Good choice Marcus.

Reactions: Marcus
#27 ·
I love the Aeomach on my Scout, but have pegs so I can rock my foot. I like Marcus' solution, the innovation used.

#28 ·
Or you can just buy the Pinnacle heel shifter peg that only sticks out 1 inch. Its what I have and I love it.

#32 ·
Ever since I ruined the stitching on top of an expensive pair of cowboy boots, I prefer heal shifters. The Aeromach looks like it was designed for the George Jetson style Victory. The Marcus shifter is nostalgically elegant and compliments the Indian style. I would buy the Marcus shifter just to add complementary chrome.

Burt

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.