Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done a ton of research to find a passenger floor board that works and finally found an excellent solution. Thanks to Mack who turned me on to the Kuryakyn Spear Mini Boards. The challenge was the adapter.

So the adapter required is Kuryakyn Part #8828. I ordered mine and received in two days from Amazon Prime.

A couple thoughts, I installed D-Ring spacer on the forward side of adapter, due to the angle I believe it will stress less. Flat portion of "D" spacer should mounted inward towards bike. I used the rear mounting position per my wife's request. This moves the floorboards a little farther forward. Sorry for so many pictures, just want to make sure it is clear for all. Hope this helps!
IMG_0535.JPG
IMG_0537.JPG
IMG_0538.JPG
IMG_0539.JPG
IMG_0556.JPG
IMG_0567.JPG
IMG_0568.JPG
IMG_0569.JPG
IMG_0570.JPG
IMG_0571.JPG
IMG_0572.JPG
IMG_0573.JPG
IMG_0574.JPG
IMG_0575.JPG
IMG_0576.JPG

·
Registered
37 Posts
1Takoda, you did a nice job with the pictures. I went and ordered the identical setup you have. I have a question about the installation. How did you get the pins out of the passenger pegs? I have tried picking on them with a mini flat head screw driver, but have had no luck in getting what looks like a wire loop around the pin to come off. It is driving me crazy, and I don't want to go crazy and damage the passenger peg mount. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,073 Posts
It is a wire loop, like a spring. Rotate the little peg until you find the spot where it ends at the top. Put a tiny screwdriver in there under the very tip and pop the top part up and over the post. Then move the screwdriver down a little and pop a little more until you very them off. Or you could use needle noise pliers, grab that sucker and pull it off. Throw them away after that. They are frustrating, but with patience and diligence, they week come off.

The spread rings that come with the adapters work much better. Might need to get a spring tool too, just to make putting the new ones on a little easier.

Like this one

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks for your help. I tried working it....my friend tried working it.....we finally gave up. What a crummy way to hold the pin in place. Oh yeah...works great, but it is a devil to get off. I guess a C type clip would have broken the bank for Polaris....or better yet, a nice button top chrome bolt. Well, I reached into my dremel tool box and found a very small pointed bit that did get the ring off. Only took an hour and a nice blood blister to get it off. Once again, thanks for your assistance.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your help. I tried working it....my friend tried working it.....we finally gave up. What a crummy way to hold the pin in place. Oh yeah...works great, but it is a devil to get off. I guess a C type clip would have broken the bank for Polaris....or better yet, a nice button top chrome bolt. Well, I reached into my dremel tool box and found a very small pointed bit that did get the ring off. Only took an hour and a nice blood blister to get it off. Once again, thanks for your assistance.
Rich, Sorry for the delay, I went on a 12 hour 300 mile ride today from 8:00 am to 8:30 pm.

So I remember it being a pain in the ass also! I believe I used two small eye glass screwdrivers, find the the ends of the clip meet. Yes it is hard to see! As Mack said, small needle nose also help.

Check out this link which describes using a file. I am not sure if will work on the passenger pegs as easy as it did on the drivers though. Attached is link from www.indianaftermark.com

Video that may help:

Hope this helps. Let me know when you get it. You will get it.

Todd "Takoda"

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have had these Kuryakyn Spear Mini Passenger Boards on my bike for several weeks now and they are driving me crazy. They simply will not stay up for very long. I don't know if the spring clips they give you with the installation kit are just not good enough or what, but I put them in the upright position and within 10 minutes of riding one or both have plopped down. If anyone has any idea as to how to fix this issue, I would appreciate hearing about it. I have thought about making a very thin washer out of a soda can so as to increase the tension. Any ideas?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I ended up using two of those D washers to create the right amount of tension. I also added some Loctite for good measure and now it's perfect.

·
Registered
472 Posts
The curve of the spring washer needs to face inwards (face the floorboard stem) and it'll work fine.

I take it back mine are dropping down all the time now. I’ve written to Kuryakyn about it. Still waiting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
I ended up using two of those D washers to create the right amount of tension. I also added some Loctite for good measure and now it's perfect.
Thanks alot. Two D washers on each floorboard did the trick. Why did Kuryakyn make it so difficult? They could have provided two per floorboard, or just beefier D washers. Thanks again.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have done a ton of research to find a passenger floor board that works and finally found an excellent solution. Thanks to Mack who turned me on to the Kuryakyn Spear Mini Boards. The challenge was the adapter.

So the adapter required is Kuryakyn Part #8828. I ordered mine and received in two days from Amazon Prime.

A couple thoughts, I installed D-Ring spacer on the forward side of adapter, due to the angle I believe it will stress less. Flat portion of "D" spacer should mounted inward towards bike. I used the rear mounting position per my wife's request. This moves the floorboards a little farther forward. Sorry for so many pictures, just want to make sure it is clear for all. Hope this helps!
View attachment 40247 View attachment 40248 View attachment 40249 View attachment 40250 View attachment 40251 View attachment 40252 View attachment 40253 View attachment 40254 View attachment 40255 View attachment 40256 View attachment 40257 View attachment 40258 View attachment 40259 View attachment 40260 View attachment 40261
No such thing as too many pics on a post like this! Thanks much

·
Registered
472 Posts
I found the D washers supplied with the passenger Mini Spear floorboards not strong enough to stop them from flopping out and it was driving me nuts, from behind they were flopped down, looked sloppy and took away from the clean lines of the Scout.

Thanks to 1206farmall’s fix they now stay up.

I used rubber wiring grommets and they’re working, also they’re discrete and a far better solution than Kuryakyn’s D washer which all end up flattening over time with the floorboards dropping down. Someone said using 2 D washers was better, I couldn’t find any in Oz for sale and Kuryakyn weren’t interested in shipping news ones to me.

The rubber grommets are working fine - floorboards are staying up and not dropping like the used to.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Unfortunately the grommets were too small and split, I’ve ordered 19mm ID grommets which should fit better and not split because they’re not so tight.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I was just about to write the same thing when I saw there was a new comment in this thread... I will say, they worked like a charm until the split though. So there's definitely merit to the idea, will certainly try a larger diameter.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts