Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Solution for wind noise/whistle?

4K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  derailed75 
#1 ·
When I extend the windshield on my ‘15 Chieftain more than 2/3 of the way up, I get an annoying noise/whistle at speeds above 45 mph. The annoyance comes mostly from the left opening at the bottom of the windshield. If I stick my hand in the opening, the whistle stops. A little from the right opening, but mostly the left one. Anyone else have this problem? Looking for suggestions to remedy the issue. Thanks.

#2 ·
search this forum.... I don't have the problem (I have a 18) but if I remember right... that's why I said search... there are some open holes down there and need to be plugged which in turn takes the whistle away... but do a search and find out the real skinny

#3 ·
Mine was fine with the stock windshield. But when I put on the Indian/Klockwerks windshield with the flip the whistle started. No whistle when the windshield is all the way down until it is raised about 1-1/2" up from the bottom. The whistle diminishes when it gets about an inch from the highest position. I was told that the whistle is due to the change in air velocity in the low pressure area behind the windshield. Which makes sense. Adding the JES lowers to my bike lessened the whistling slightly.

I found that the noise eminates from both sides and switches depending on the angle of the side wind.

#5 ·
This has long been an issue with the early Chieftains and I imagine Road Masters. My only solution was to roll the windscreen down just enough to make the whistle stop... Sometimes I didn't because of the situation an my desire to have it all the way up, in those cases I just turned the music up a bit. I don't ever remember reading anything about a solution besides get an aftermarket windscreen, which I've not done. Sorry couldn't be more help, but I honestly just got used to it...

#14 ·
Correct, Freedom Shields is the only aftermarket I know of that provides and instructs you to use the foam strip. Klockwerks is form fitted dead on to factory specs so it doesn't need it. Long Ride Shields is not made to a tight spec and it won't sit perfectly flush on the windshield mount, and it needs foam the most. It is the the least desirable do t the sloppy tolerances.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.