Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I searched around for good photos and instructions on how the solo luggage rack and grab rail would fit together but didn't find much. The installation went relatively smooth with before/after photos and step by step instructions below. Perhaps they may be useful for someone.

Before:
IMG_6207.JPG

After:
IMG_6520.JPG

Step 1 - Remove the Passenger backrest/sissy bar. Remove the side body panels below the driver seat to gain access to the two M8 bolts (one on each side) to remove driver seat/passenger pad (one M8 bolt on fender). Separate driver and passenger seats by removing 4 of the connecting M6 bolts.

Step 2 - Flip over the driver seat and insert the solo rack mount. Make sure the angled part of the mount points down. Tighten the 2 - M6 bolts very loosely.
IMG_6496.JPG

Step 3 - Insert the grab rail in the same opening, between the rack mount and the seat.
IMG_6497.JPG

IMG_6498.JPG

Step 4 - There are two washers and four spacers that came with grab rail. insert two spacers in each of the holes and use one washer. Tighten all four M6 bolts.
IMG_6500.JPG

IMG_6501.JPG

IMG_6508.JPG

IMG_6507.JPG

IMG_6505.JPG

Step 5 - Cover the rear fender, reinstall the driver seat and attach the luggage rack to the mount.
IMG_6513.JPG

On the fender mount, note that the black plastic washer goes first, then metal washer, then rack then metal washer.
FullSizeRender 2.jpg

Final product -
IMG_6517.JPG

IMG_6519.JPG

with messenger bag, aka pizza delivery box....
IMG_6522.JPG

·
11th Light Infantry Brigade
3,603 Posts
I searched around for good photos and instructions on how the solo luggage rack and grab rail would fit together but didn't find much. The installation went relatively smooth with before/after photos and step by step instructions below. Perhaps they may be useful for someone.

Before:
View attachment 150865

After:
View attachment 150873

Step 1 - Remove the Passenger backrest/sissy bar. Remove the side body panels below the driver seat to gain access to the two M8 bolts (one on each side) to remove driver seat/passenger pad (one M8 bolt on fender). Separate driver and passenger seats by removing 4 of the connecting M6 bolts.

Step 2 - Flip over the driver seat and insert the solo rack mount. Make sure sure the angled part of the mount points down. Tighten the 2 - M8 bolts very loosely.
View attachment 150881

Step 3 - Insert the grab rail in the same opening, between the rack mount and the seat.
View attachment 150889
View attachment 150897

Step 4 - There are two washers and four spacers that came with grab rail. insert two spacers in each of the holes and use one washer. Tighten all four M6 bolts.
View attachment 150905

View attachment 150913

View attachment 150929

View attachment 150921
View attachment 150937

Step 5 - Cover the rear fender, reinstall the driver seat and attach the luggage rack to the mount.
View attachment 150953

On the fender mount, note that the black plastic washer goes first, then metal washer, then rack then metal washer.
View attachment 150945

Final product -
View attachment 150961
View attachment 150969

View attachment 150977
Nice look and great instructions. Thanks

·
Registered
156 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to put this together and share. I am about to do the same thing to my Chieftain and this will be very useful!

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
Thanks for the swell write up.
I like to see helpful stuff like this here.

I have the solo rack too but not the grab rail or the leather toe sack.
I wish I had the leather bag because my whole purpose for the solo rack was to tote my laptop back and forth to work.

That rack is the most un-user friendly rack I have ever seen.
It sure is pretty but the lack of right angles and tie points make it just about unusable for practical applications.
I tried a couple of red-neck top boxes that I fabbed up but nothing really looked good.
I'm still not sure that my 15" laptop will fit in that fancy factory leather toe sack either.

Finally I hit on something that strikes a pleasing note with my.....a Mexican/Indian blanket roll.
Good for nothing, but it looks pretty.

20161228_160825_resized.jpg

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the swell write up.
I like to see helpful stuff like this here.

I have the solo rack too but not the grab rail or the leather toe sack.
I wish I had the leather bag because my whole purpose for the solo rack was to tote my laptop back and forth to work.

That rack is the most un-user friendly rack I have ever seen.
It sure is pretty but the lack of right angles and tie points make it just about unusable for practical applications.
I tried a couple of red-neck top boxes that I fabbed up but nothing really looked good.
I'm still not sure that my 15" laptop will fit in that fancy factory leather toe sack either.

Finally I hit on something that strikes a pleasing note with my.....a Mexican/Indian blanket roll.
Good for nothing, but it looks pretty.

View attachment 151089
Agreed on functionality but the rack sure is good looking.

Like the blanket roll!

As for the laptop, in a separate thread, I posted some pics of my 15.6" laptop fitting in the bag. The laptop measures 15" by 9.8" Your laptop should fit fine. Link to thread - Indian Chief Black Messenger Bag New OEM Cargo Luggage Bag 2879603-01

·
Rider
545 Posts
Great write up, thank you for doing it and using all the great photo's. One question you mentioned 4 spacers but I think you only used 2, did they send 2 spare spacers?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great write up, thank you for doing it and using all the great photo's. One question you mentioned 4 spacers but I think you only used 2, did they send 2 spare spacers?

There are 4 spacers. According to the instructions - If you are doing only the rack install then you use one spacer on each side. If you are doing combo install with grabrail then you would be using all 4, i.e. Two spacers stacked on each side (which makes sense because you have an extra layer of metal from the grabrail). But frankly I don't really see the need for spacers all that much.

·
Rider
545 Posts
There are 4 spacers. According to the instructions - If you are doing only the rack install then you use one spacer on each side. If you are doing combo install with grabrail then you would be using all 4, i.e. Two spacers stacked on each side (which makes sense because you have an extra layer of metal from the grabrail). But frankly I don't really see the need for spacers all that much.
Thanks makes sense

·
Registered
1,265 Posts

Before:
View attachment 150865

After:
View attachment 150873

Step 2 - Flip over the driver seat and insert the solo rack mount. Make sure the angled part of the mount points down. Tighten the 2 - M6 bolts very loosely.
View attachment 150881

View attachment 150889
View attachment 150897

View attachment 150905

View attachment 150913

View attachment 150929

View attachment 150921
View attachment 150937

View attachment 150953

View attachment 150945

Final product -
View attachment 150961
View attachment 150969

View attachment 150977
Thanks for your step by step. Got a used one with no instructions. Took about 40 minutes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I purchased a Chief Vintage in March of 2015. Purchased this rear fender rack among other Indian accessories to install myself. When mounting the under-seat part rack bracket I couldn't figure out how the rack mounted to it so it would sit correctly on the fender. Took rack bracket off the seat, flipped it over, and tried to reinstall, still no luck. After messing with the darn thing for about 1 and a half hour, for a 15 min job, my head was hurting! My gears were jammed! I finally realized that the damn rack bracket welder had welded the front half and back half of it in reverse order!! Rack itself was fine. Was that intentional, last few days on the job, wanted to throw a wrench in someones gears(that worked), first day on the job, or just a nerd tackling the wrong job. No offense, they have expertise in other areas. The world needs them also.
Called Indian Tech and they wouldn't believe my hypothesis and somewhat made me feel like I was and idiot. Sent them a damn pic by email, they took it to product design/development, and then got back to me in a couple days to tell me exactly what I already knew!!! They sent me another rack bracket and I installed it in 15 min. without a hitch. They didn't offer to refund my $$ for the pain caused to my cranial cavity! I should have charged THEM $$$ for a 'product flaw alert'. I wasn't nasty to them at all and this long explanation is not meant to rile the masses! Just info for others that may hit this snag.

·
Rider
798 Posts
Great writeup - and not to hijack this thread, but I was going to add the solo rack, took one look and said forget it! Indian really missed the boat on that one.

I'm surprised they didn't do a quick-release version of this prototype that I added to my '03 Chief . . . bags are after-market from Chilhowee Leather in Oregon mounted on Ghost Brackets (now Easy Brackets) . . .

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great writeup - and not to hijack this thread, but I was going to add the solo rack, took one look and said forget it! Indian really missed the boat on that one.

I'm surprised they didn't do a quick-release version of this prototype that I added to my '03 Chief . . . bags are after-market from Chilhowee Leather in Oregon mounted on Ghost Brackets (now Easy Brackets) . . .
Great setup TallRider! The rack looks great and super functional. Wish that the Indian rack was a quick release so that it would hold more than a measly 7lb. Pure aesthetic... Lol.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I purchased a Chief Vintage in March of 2015. Purchased this rear fender rack among other Indian accessories to install myself. When mounting the under-seat part rack bracket I couldn't figure out how the rack mounted to it so it would sit correctly on the fender. Took rack bracket off the seat, flipped it over, and tried to reinstall, still no luck. After messing with the darn thing for about 1 and a half hour, for a 15 min job, my head was hurting! My gears were jammed! I finally realized that the damn rack bracket welder had welded the front half and back half of it in reverse order!! Rack itself was fine. Was that intentional, last few days on the job, wanted to throw a wrench in someones gears(that worked), first day on the job, or just a nerd tackling the wrong job. No offense, they have expertise in other areas. The world needs them also.
Called Indian Tech and they wouldn't believe my hypothesis and somewhat made me feel like I was and idiot. Sent them a damn pic by email, they took it to product design/development, and then got back to me in a couple days to tell me exactly what I already knew!!! They sent me another rack bracket and I installed it in 15 min. without a hitch. They didn't offer to refund my $$ for the pain caused to my cranial cavity! I should have charged THEM $$$ for a 'product flaw alert'. I wasn't nasty to them at all and this long explanation is not meant to rile the masses! Just info for others that may hit this snag.
Wow.. someone must have been drinking on the job or something to have messed up that welding job. Glad that it worked out okay in the end.

·
Rider
798 Posts
Great setup TallRider! The rack looks great and super functional. Wish that the Indian rack was a quick release so that it would hold more than a measly 7lb. Pure aesthetic... Lol.
Thanks. This was a prototype that I bought from a fellow member on the IIRA site; it was extremely well made but I don't think it ever went in to mass production.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Question, the grab rail comes with two rubber bumpers attached to it (I'm assuming they're there to protect the fender.) Did you remove them? It appears that it's necessary when using the solo rack in conjunction. There are two similar holes on the solo rack bracket and I'm wondering if they should me moved over to it.

Thoughts?

·
Rider
690 Posts

Before:
View attachment 150865

After:
View attachment 150873

View attachment 150881

View attachment 150889
View attachment 150897

View attachment 150905

View attachment 150913

View attachment 150929

View attachment 150921
View attachment 150937

View attachment 150953

View attachment 150945

Final product -
View attachment 150961
View attachment 150969

View attachment 150977
Have you tried a driver back rest with the solo grab rail??? They say now, but im not sure

1 - 20 of 28 Posts