Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Rider
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else struggle putting these things on to the point of almost just saying "screw it" and freezing/getting soaked instead? I'm thinking of just cutting some holes and ziptying the damn things on when I want to use them, then just cut the ties. Keep an extra few packs with me should the situation arise that I want to throw them on. I wish there was a better alternative.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Indian soft lowers. I agree. They are a bit of a pain to put on.

·
Rider
452 Posts
I don't have them but I'm told that you need to heat them up before you struggle to stretch them on. I know someone who swears by a low oven for a few minutes before putting them on. Still very tight though.

·
Bronze member
1,063 Posts
I put OEM Indian lowers on my wife's Chieftain a month ago, the larger size ones, not the mustache bar ones.
No issues for me.

·
Silver member
3,339 Posts

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
You feel comfortable your engine is getting plenty air using the year round??
I do actually. I believe that the lowers funnel more air flow down the center of the frame and past the engine itself. I seem to feel less heat from the engine while riding with them on, and can feel more air velocity past the cylinders if I put my hand down there.

·
Rider
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I looked at a coworkers Harley ones that slip right on, and then attach around the frame. I think I'm going to hit up the local upholstry shop and see what they can come up with. If not, you guys have definitely given me some good ideas. Thank you

·
Registered
203 Posts
I use the soft lowers sold by Desert Dawgs which are great. My only issue with them is that with those on and the windshield installed, air is now blasted directly onto my knees. I know the lower wind deflectors would prevent this but I despised how they forced air onto my lower shins. I'm thinking about modding my windshield with some plexiglass and some polished stainless.

I was going to buy the set from Indian until I saw the price and the stupid number of snaps. Hard pass.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts