Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else been seeing a lot of scratching of their challenger? I have a blue limited and it is scratching every where. I have it in the dealer and started a case even their service manger admitted to seeing it everywhere. I had a chieftain before this and it didn't have this issue. I have also seen a couple post on facebook pages saying the same thing. If you are make sure to start a case with your dealer it will give us a better shot of getting it fixed.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,800 Posts
My 2015 Chieftain's finish was considered soft paint and I helped protect it by using a product called Liquid Glass. I don't think it's available anymore.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,053 Posts
My 2015 Chieftain's finish was considered soft paint and I helped protect it by using a product called Liquid Glass. I don't think it's available anymore.
I heard they closed shop... which is too bad, it was a good product.

·
Rider
1,054 Posts
I wunder if the product called Glass Coat will help it.
I had it put on my Jeep and the paint is like glass

·
Bronze member
1,458 Posts
I have a Darkhorse....and while it is a matte (flat) finish, I haven't noticed any issues on my Challenger paint/finish.....yet. What are you cleaning your bike with?

·
Rider
1,566 Posts
I recommend the following as you can get it just about anywhere. Wash with Mcguiers yellow wash and wax. Use a good detailed like Bug Slide n between wax jobs. Use Griots liquid car carnauba wax and Wizards Choice cutting wax as it will correct a majority of the issues with spiderwebbed scratches and other clear coat issues. Use a good polisher even the variable speed ones from Harbor Freight will work well and a wool bonnet. You can brush your teeth when you look into the paint from my willow green and cream vintage.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I shouldn't have to be doing this on a $30000 motorcycle. I understand to take care of the paint over time but with a bike that has 800 miles and lives in a garage shouldn't be doing this. This shouldn't be acceptable to have to do this to a brand new bike.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I shouldn't have to be doing this on a $30000 motorcycle. I understand to take care of the paint over time but with a bike that has 800 miles and lives in a garage shouldn't be doing this. This shouldn't be acceptable to have to do this to a brand new bike.
Can you post some pictures? I know sometimes paint imperfections and scratches wont show up with a camera.

·
Rider
1,566 Posts
I agree but I take extra care on my vintage since I go to car shows. The worse thing that can happen is the guys in the showroom using dust mops and rags to clean up dust and fingerprints it will scratch the heck out of any high gloss clear coat.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can't currently its at the dealer. I will when I hopefully get it back this weekend. I can literally barely graze my finger nail and it leaves a mark that doesn't come off.

·
Bronze member
3,937 Posts
Has anyone else been seeing a lot of scratching of their challenger? I have a blue limited and it is scratching every where. I have it in the dealer and started a case even their service manger admitted to seeing it everywhere. I had a chieftain before this and it didn't have this issue. I have also seen a couple post on facebook pages saying the same thing. If you are make sure to start a case with your dealer it will give us a better shot of getting it fixed.

Yep my delaer has a Blue Limited Challenger and it looks like a brillo pad was taken to it. They tell me they have to do a lot of paint correction work on the soft clear coats. But yes paint still seems to be an issue for Indian.

·
Bronze member
2,543 Posts
It’s been my experience that many who work at dealerships don’t know the do’s and do not’s of paint care. Using rough cloths, rubbing too hard, etc. For example, a riding buddy was picking up a new bike from a HD dealer & as they were rolling the bike out, the service mgr. was cleaning the tank with a paper towel. My buddy was mortified. You’d think a service mgr. would know better.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well, I saw this thread and knew I had to post.

I have to say the clear coat on my Challenger is complete garbage. When I picked it up, I opened the saddle bag, now there's a scuff on the painted handle. Went for a ride on saturday, it looks like my bike went through a sandstorm with a bunch of abrasions on the clear.

Thankfully some scratchX took them all out, for the most most part, but I've never seen such a easily scuff-able surface. I either need to diamond coat the entire painted surfaces, or PPF the hell out of it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I saw this thread and knew I had to post.

I have to say the clear coat on my Challenger is complete garbage. When I picked it up, I opened the saddle bag, now there's a scuff on the painted handle. Went for a ride on saturday, it looks like my bike went through a sandstorm with a bunch of abrasions on the clear.

Thankfully some scratchX took them all out, for the most most part, but I've never seen such a easily scuff-able surface. I either need to diamond coat the entire painted surfaces, or PPF the hell out of it.
The dealer buffed mine and I talked to Indian if it keeps doing it they are going to make it right. What color if yours?

·
Bronze member
3,937 Posts
I have seen 3 Deepwater Metallic Challengers and all of them looked like someone took a Brillo pad to them. I wonder if that specific color is the issue.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts