Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried my 5/8 socket but I can't get it to fit the plug. I just wanted to check to see how tight or not the plugs were. Are the plugs different on the 116 engines?

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
Jim:My above post is incorrect regarding an 18MM deep well socket to change plugs .My appologies sir!! Assuming the 116 uses the same plugs as the 111 inch motor does,the plug socket used is a 5/8 ,6 point,deep well socket, made for spark plug R+R.I just now thought of it and went out to my shop to confirm it.So again,my appologies sir for the incorrect information regarding the spark plug socket size Dave!!!

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
And make sure the socket ya use is a six point made for spark plugs.Why?? Cause a regualr 12 point socket will round the corners of the plug and then you'll never get it out without pulling the head which is a sh** load of unneccessery and expensive work!! Follow me??? So use the right tool,a spark plug socket, in this case! Capishe???

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
One more thing I forgot to mention!! When ya do put your new plugs back in,lightly coat the threads with "COPPER NEVER SEIZE" which is made for aluminum and do NOT over tighten em.Follow the torque spec! Why??Because,the next guy that changes em just might be you!! Dave!!!
"

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've got a 5/8ths spark plug socket and it doesn't fit the plug which is why I asked the question in the first place. Now I'm really stumped on this. The 18mm will be coming in today. Didn't cost that much so no big whup. I'll look at closer this weekend.

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
Well maybe your bike does use an 18 MM socket,but I don't know that for sure.But to the best of my knowledge,there are only three standard sizes used,the 5/8,the 13/16,and now the 18MM.I believe there is also an even larger 7/8 socket used on Wisconsin small engines,but that's a different animal altogether. Anyways,I just placed a call to a buddy of mine who is the service manager where I bought my scooter,and he says, to the best of his knowledge,there are only two sizes used on the Indian motors,the 5/8 AND THE 18MM.And in his opinion,the 18MM should be the correct size for your application.Hopefully!! lol So again,my appologies sir for giving you wrong information!! Anyways, keep us posted as to just what size socket does fit the plugs on your scooter.Fair enough???Dave!!!

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
I've got a 5/8ths spark plug socket and it doesn't fit the plug which is why I asked the question in the first place. Now I'm really stumped on this. The 18mm will be coming in today. Didn't cost that much so no big whup. I'll look at closer this weekend.
WELL??? Did ya get your 18MM socket,and more importantly,DID IT WORK????????????????????

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Unfortunately I ordered a 16mm socket (not wearing the glasses) instead of 18mm. Haven't had time to get the 18mm but I should have time this coming week. My research points to the 5/8th for the plug in the bike (owner's manual). It's the same for the 111.

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
DUH!!! Get those glasses fixed,will ya!!!! lol lol So,which socket is it: the 5/8 or the 18MM.You said you tried a 5/8 but it didn't work!! You're confusing me now,and I suspect,a few other guys as well!! lol lol And I thought you said,your bike uses the 116 motor!!! .Double DUUUUUUUUUUUUUH!!! SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Which is it??? lol lol lol

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm ok working on scoots but with glasses and no beer...LOL. I bought a 5/8 socket from Harbor Freight and low and behold it went on fine, so it is 5/8. I then tried the other 5/8 I had and while a bit fiddly it too went on so the outcome of this thread is....

Nevermind....LOL

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
I can tell ya what the out come of this thread is: #1,I'm NOT gonna letcha work on my scooters!!lol #2 Get those glasses FIXED!! lol lol And #3 , "DEFINITELY" leave the beer "ALONE" !!! lol lol lol Dave!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts