1,257 Posts

·
Rider
2017 Indian RoadMaster, 2003 100th Anniversary Heritage Springer FLSTS ver
419 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
I like the open fender myself.....looks more modern and brings the bike forward 50 years. To each their own but having a choice is helping Indian sell more bikes. I've had several people tell me they really like my bike because it dose not have that big ugly fender on it. I think if you look at many of the new members you will see the open fender is quite popular.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Wow, that red Elite is beautiful. Wish I could have had that color. I know, I know... I could always paint the bike!!!

Reactions: Super Jute

·
Registered
951 Posts
Well, I actually prefer the valance fender and , as a matter of fact , it was one of the main reasons that attracted me to the Indian Chieftain in the first place .
It has a kind of instant recognition ... you look at it and instantly know that you are looking at an Indian Bike . The open fenders ... well , every other bike has them , so I kind of like the uniqueness of the valance type .

·
Registered
436 Posts
The valance fender will get more votes here........for now. The new fender is just that "new" and most of the people here bought their Indian when the valance fender was all that was available so they obviously were attracted to it. Give it a year or two and I think you'll see many owners prefer the new fender and wheel combination. It's ok to disagree but if you look at the new members bikes and the 2018 line up you'll see that many prefer the more modern look.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I like that Indian is giving people the option, but, for me, the valanced fender is what sets the look of the Indian apart, and not a Harley look alike. I've always loved the look of the old Indians with the valanced fender, and couldn't imagine owning an Indian without one.

Reactions: Goindian and 2506

·
Bronze member
1,300 Posts
unvalanced fenders ? hope they are not using up unused victory stockpiled fenders

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
Giving the option is a good thing as I am sure it sells more Bikes .. But notice in 2018 the Valance Fender is gone and Ride Command is Forced on you now with the Chieftain Dark Horse at 2,000 More .. Which in 2017 the CDH was just how I wanted it .. Glad got it when I did or would be riding a Springfield ..

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Isn’t that the 2018 RM Elite? Or does it only come in that gold dusted blue?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I don't believe this is an elite. Look closely at the tank and also notice the standard floorboards. And it has the 16 inch front wheel not the 19 inch wheel. Probably a roadmaster custom painted.

Steve

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Well, I guess it’s not a 2018 model. It has the conchos on the end of the hand grips. Must be a custom painted 2017.

·
Registered
951 Posts
And about which of the two types , lets not forget that with choosing the open fender , you also loose the Indian head light on top of the fender ...

·
Registered
436 Posts
True, you do loose the Indian headlight on the fender.......unless you put one on it. Easy install and not that expensive to do. I thought about it but my bike already says Indian on about 30 times so I decided not to.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I risk being shot down in a hail of arrows I know but I can't stand valanced fenders, they look heavy and dated and one of the reasons I bought my Elite because it didn't have them. This said I would still have liked the Indian war bonnet light and may fit my own chrome one yet if I can bring myself to drill holes in the fender. Each to his own, for me it was good to have a choice.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Giving the option is a good thing as I am sure it sells more Bikes .. But notice in 2018 the Valance Fender is gone and Ride Command is Forced on you now with the Chieftain Dark Horse at 2,000 More .. Which in 2017 the CDH was just how I wanted it .. Glad got it when I did or would be riding a Springfield ..
I decided against the 2017 Dark Horse and went with a Silver Smoke Chieftain because of the Ride Command. If the Dark Horse had it, I'd be riding one.

To each their own, just as with the fender.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Kiwindian,
If you decide to put the light on, behind the headlight theres a well marked connection for "war bonnet". I used it to power my XM radio.

I thot I wanted a '17 without the Ride Command. Then the dealer asked if I wanted to ride an Indian. I said I guess I should, and the one I rode had Ride Command, and once I saw all the info I wanted it! But I feel it looks much better in some colors than others, and on the Dark Horse, kind of blends right in.
And I like the open fender and 19" wheel.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts