Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gotta a question for the bike guru's out there. How come these three indian models didnt sell? ( 2010-2013 Bomber Chief, Dark Horse, Vintage).

What was wrong with them? They dont look all the different from the polaris build Indians. I mean I see they have different powerplants- but was that the only reason? Who made them?

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2010models/2010-Indian-ChiefBomberLimitedEdition.htm

http://www.freeriderspress.us/feb11/pg12.pdf

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/2013-indian-chief-vintage-final-edition-is-a-collector-s-treat-52784.html

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well...from my understanding, they were 'catalog' engines, catalog frames...etc, and priced about $16,000 more than they were worth.
You could just about pick up a J&P catalogand build one yourself.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is a review of the Bomber- Reviews stars at the 4:28 minute mark. So again, what happened- Why did it fail?

<iframe src='http://www.youtube.com/embed/YYn1GSVI2aw?wmode=transparent' frameborder='0' width='550' height='438'></iframe>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Two words.... The economy... They started designing them at the height of the motorcycle craze when you were standing in line paying over MSRP. By the time they came out the housing bubble popped and people didnt have $25-$50k for a toy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, Indians have lost their popularity due to being sold and bought many times, different marketting tactics, and such. They weren't able to turn around like the 70s Harley did after AMF bought Harley and gave Harley's a bad name. The last generation of Indian, like the 2013 Dark Horse, have a couple of issues. First is price tag. $28k is the cheapest Chief right now the Twin Cities (St. Paul, MN) dealer and that is a 2010 model. Second is the number of dealers. There aren't many dealers around. But now that they are owned by Polaris I would not be surprised if you start seeing exisitng Victory dealers also start carrying Indians.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Poor maufactoring, Kit Bikes, $$$$$$$$$$$, greedy owners, built in California.........lots of reasons!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Only real reason boils down to value. The last two efforts to revive Indian were too expensive for what they bike was. A mediocre cruiser with very nice fit and finish. 2009 - 2013 Chiefs were priced between 28,000 and 37,000. You gotta have more than nice paint and a supple leather seat to sell a bike for that. Now assuming these new ones have better power, better handling, better comfort, better features plus nice paint and supple leather seats and are priced 18-23k...bingo, more value.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The last attempt was very close to delivering the product the people wanted.

But as others have pointed out the price did not match the product.

Polaris should do well with Indian

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Makes sense. I wonder now with the NEW indians out if the old ones will lose or hold value? I would nt riding a dark horse around, for let's say about 10k :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I dont know what these guys are saying. but their facial expressions are awesome!!! LMFAO

<iframe src='http://www.youtube.com/embed/RTD5O3wyPqs?wmode=transparent' frameborder='0' width='550' height='438'></iframe>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
17665 said:
Makes sense. I wonder now with the NEW indians out if the old ones will lose or hold value? I would nt riding a dark horse around, for let's say about 10k :)

I can't speak to the Gilroy Indians as I do not own one but I believe the Kings Mountain Indian may at first loose some value but ultimatley come back up as they are a truly limited edition never to be seen again quality standard. Unless of course you can just build your own from this mysterious kit or catalogue I keep hearing about. Most of those comments are perpetuated by people that have never even stood next to one let alone dropped the 40K plus to own one.
That said I believe the Polaris bike will be a lot more user
friendly machine. Definitely smoother, and better behaved all round for the average
rider. To appreciate the earlier Indians you need to be a bit more of a hard
case not bothered by wind, vibration or lack of electronic amenities.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just to add a few more cents...When Gilroy secured the rights they brought the Chief and Scout back with an S&S engine while the Power Plus 105 was still being developed. They went out of business shortly after releasing the Chief with the Power Plus and when Kings Mountain took over they inherited this design which had already earned the reputation of being a kit bike because of the S&S 'catalogue' engine.
In spite of this the bikes are decent and I agree that short term there will be some drop in value. But as Indian grows in popularity surely these years that had such limited production will rise in value. That's probably a pretty long term process though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
'To appreciate the earlier Indians you need to be a bit more of a hard
case not bothered by wind, vibration or lack of electronic amenities.'

This is a Bull Shit statement if I say so myself I expect this to come from a HD rider not someone like yourself, seems to me you spent more time and miles on the same type of bike that the so called not so hard driver drive
Regards

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
1317 said:
I can't speak to the Gilroy Indians as I do not own one but I believe the Kings Mountain Indian may at first loose some value but ultimatley come back up as they are a truly limited edition never to be seen again quality standard. Unless of course you can just build your own from this mysterious kit or catalogue I keep hearing about. Most of those comments are perpetuated by people that have never even stood next to one let alone dropped the 40K plus to own one.
That said I believe the Polaris bike will be a lot more user
friendly machine. Definitely smoother, and better behaved all round for the average
rider. To appreciate the earlier Indians you need to be a bit more of a hard
case not bothered by wind, vibration or lack of electronic amenities.

The Kit bike moniker came after there were issues with getting Federal approval the bikes were shipped to buyers in crates in order that the buyer would put enginge in frame then pass their states inspection .

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
2192 said:
Well, Indians have lost their popularity due to being sold and bought many times, different marketting tactics, and such. They weren't able to turn around like the 70s Harley did after AMF bought Harley and gave Harley's a bad name. The last generation of Indian, like the 2013 Dark Horse, have a couple of issues. First is price tag. $28k is the cheapest Chief right now the Twin Cities (St. Paul, MN) dealer and that is a 2010 model. Second is the number of dealers. There aren't many dealers around. But now that they are owned by Polaris I would not be surprised if you start seeing exisitng Victory dealers also start carrying Indians.
Now Polaris have the indian, would they be able to resurect some of these models..ie..darkhorse/bomber in the same colour schemes and look/badging. ? or do those rights go with the existing companies, and become there own copywrite..anyone know.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
2342 said:
'To appreciate the earlier Indians you need to be a bit more of a hard
case not bothered by wind, vibration or lack of electronic amenities.'

This is a Bull sh%t statement if I say so myself I expect this to come from a HD rider not someone like yourself, seems to me you spent more time and miles on the same type of bike that the so called not so hard driver drive
Regards
I can appreciate both types of rides Mike that's why I will be looking at the new Chieftain and have never had
an issue with buffeting and such.
I&rsquo;ve said to any that have asked that if you are coming from
a Road King it&rsquo;s a great ride but from a Wing, Vision or any smoother ride you would believe it to
be the worst mistake of your life. Have another beer Mike. Must be time of the
month.LOL

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Me thinks its you that may need the beer not me, I am at work but I will have one with you next time we meet
Regards

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
2342 said:
Me thinks its you that may need the beer not me, I am at work but I will have one with you next time we meet
Regards
Well that explains it your working on a holiday.LOL You should have waited on the CCT. I suspect
Peak will have a great deal on a slightly high mileage 2014 CCT Anniversary edition when I get back
from this month&rsquo;s adventure.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
11706 said:
Now Polaris have the indian, would they be able to resurect some of these models..ie..darkhorse/bomber in the same colour schemes and look/badging. ? or do those rights go with the existing companies, and become there own copywrite..anyone know.
Good question. I would love to see POLARIS do a version of the BOMBER and DARKHORSE. If they do the bomber right, and not make so CARTOONISH- man, I could see them selling thousands of them. Maybe I will be one of the buyers

1 - 20 of 43 Posts