Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Senior member / gold
6,229 Posts
I would lynch that dude on the motorcycle if I was one of those bicycle racers... and I despise those packs of 10 speed wannabe weekend racers clogging the scenic byways.

·
Senior member / gold
6,229 Posts
I must be dyslexic. I never have accidentally hit the kill switch, but I seem to always confuse the horn button with the headlight high/low switch at night. It's all so confusing! Hahaha!

·
Premium Member
1,413 Posts
I did it Saturday. Flipped it back on, and kept going.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I did worse than that. I hit it, didn't realize I hit it, and was showing off the bike to a neighbor and could not for the life of me figure out why it wouldn't start. He reached over, turned on the kill switch, and the big round button on top of the tank all of a sudden came to life.
What a putz I was that day...

·
Rider
850 Posts
I did worse than that. I hit it, didn't realize I hit it, and was showing off the bike to a neighbor and could not for the life of me figure out why it wouldn't start. He reached over, turned on the kill switch, and the big round button on top of the tank all of a sudden came to life.
What a putz I was that day...
Oh, do we all have days like that ;-)

One time when I put my Savage on the center stand to warm it and check oil, it wouldn't start and I was getting frustrated, it had never failed to start - I thought crap, this is going to ruin my day.. Stood there looking at it and DUH, the motor will run in neutral, but the bike won't *start* in neutral unless the clutch is in. I had only put 10k miles on the bike, can't expect me to remember that. LOL

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have done this several times! When I take both hands off the handlebars, (the Springfield goes incredibly straight) and then put them back on, Ive inadvertently hit the kill switch. Now I know what to do. The first time was a little unnerving!

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
I would lynch that dude on the motorcycle if I was one of those bicycle racers... and I despise those packs of 10 speed wannabe weekend racers clogging the scenic byways.
I have to say I'm a cyclist and generally, the cycling community has the same love/hate relationship with cagers as bikers. There are certainly things cyclists can do to minimize annoying motorized vehicles. When on a recreational ride and we see a "car back" (behind us), it's good to form a single file instead of being 2 or 3 wide. An organized race is different and there's usually LEO support.

But I can say it's quite scary to be on my bicycle and have a car or truck zoom by as close as possible, or cut back in front after passing, to "send a message". I've had one acquaintance killed and another in a serious wreck, just in the last 12 months due to stupid drivers. I would think motorcyclists would have a little more sensitivity and understanding (vs. cagers) of the challenges and dangers cyclists face when they are on the road.

·
Senior member / gold
6,229 Posts
I have to say I'm a cyclist and generally, the cycling community has the same love/hate relationship with cagers as bikers. There are certainly things cyclists can do to minimize annoying motorized vehicles. When on a recreational ride and we see a "car back" (behind us), it's good to form a single file instead of being 2 or 3 wide. An organized race is different and there's usually LEO support.

But I can say it's quite scary to be on my bicycle and have a car or truck zoom by as close as possible, or cut back in front after passing, to "send a message". I've had one acquaintance killed and another in a serious wreck, just in the last 12 months due to stupid drivers. I would think motorcyclists would have a little more sensitivity and understanding (vs. cagers) of the challenges and dangers cyclists face when they are on the road.
The only time it is really annoying is when they are 2 to 3 wide on a narrow, scenic, 2 lane beach highway, with a line of traffic behind them. They are so busy passing each other, back and forth, they aren't even noticing the beautiful scenery around them, and too arrogant to go single file as a courtesy to the motorcycles and cagers piled up behind them. I don't understand why they don't find a nice 4 lane highway to do exactly the same thing there, instead of pi$$ing off everyone. That does not give license to those of us pi$$ed off, to put their lives and well being in danger. It seems that the "Clingon" helmet-heads prefer the earlier morning rides, before the heat sets in, so I plan my rides on those same highways and byways for any time after 11am on the weekends, when the bicyclists find it too hot to ride.

·
Registered
461 Posts
The only time it is really annoying is when they are 2 to 3 wide on a narrow, scenic, 2 lane beach highway, with a line of traffic behind them. They are so busy passing each other, back and forth, they aren't even noticing the beautiful scenery around them, and too arrogant to go single file as a courtesy to the motorcycles and cagers piled up behind them. I don't understand why they don't find a nice 4 lane highway to do exactly the same thing there, instead of pi$$ing off everyone. That does not give license to those of us pi$$ed off, to put their lives and well being in danger. It seems that the "Clingon" helmet-heads prefer the earlier morning rides, before the heat sets in, so I plan my rides on those same highways and byways for any time after 11am on the weekends, when the bicyclists find it too hot to ride.
Truth be told, bicyclists have the same rights as everyone. In addition bicyclists yield to pedestrians & cars and motorcycles yield to bicycles..... in most places!

The part that is saddest of all, why people can not just get along. The fault you judge today, tomorrow someone will judge you!

All must follow the rules. Bicycle riders who do not form a single line when a car or m/c approaches are simply wrong.

·
Registered
524 Posts
1. Have accidentally hit the Kill a couple of times. Mostly when trying to Resume on Cruise.

2. My only problem with cyclists is you guys can't decide whether you're gonna follow the rules or not. You want us to take seriously and afford you the respect of other vehicles on the roadway, and I understand and support) that. Then I see you riding on the wrong side of the road, or I see you riding on sidewalks or in crosswalks . . . and I'm not talking about little kids back on residential streets.

BD

·
Registered
351 Posts
Count me in. Accidentally hit it twice so far. 1st time scared the crap out of me as I was on the freeway, 2nd time knew exactly what it was... phew

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've seen bicycle races that use mototcycles as a platform for the cameraman to ride on. I wonder if this was a camera bike?

·
Senior member / gold
6,229 Posts
Along our coastal highway in Palm Beach County, A1A, there is a single file bike lane, which the "Klingons" blatantly ignore, and hog their lane and the passenger vehicle lane 2-3 wide. I shied away from using the phrase, motorized vehicle, because a bicycle, by definition, is considered a motorized vehicle... the human being the actual motor. I also see the beach cruiser bicycle crowd using pedestian paths and sidewalks along the same highway.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
One more comment on cycling, with the hope that sometimes sometimes information can change opinion...

Yes, some cyclists give a bad name to others...Generally I'd say if they are serious -in it for exercise and not just cruising around, you won't find them going the wrong way, on sidewalks, etc. And if they are really training, they'll go single file. Why? because the benefits of drafting are massive. And cyclists care about speed and performance. It's almost comical we'll spend hundreds of dollars to save a few grams (when usually the best option is to lose a few pounds). If they are out riding 2 or 3 wide, they either don't realize a car has come up or it's a social ride. Most try to get over because they don't want to get run off the road. We have mirrors all over. Heck, my taillight has a radar on it that detects cars and flashes on the bike computer on the bars so I can know a vehicle is coming up.

As for "Klingons"...I'm assuming you're referring to helmets? If anyone can understand the benefits of wearing a helmet, it'd be a motorcycle rider. Can't tell you how many friends have gone down and cracked their helmet, presumably saving their noggin. Yeah, it looks funny, but better safe than sorry. By the way, you may not realize riders are "locked in" on the bike. They have clips on their shoes that lock to the pedals. This is for efficiency (the speed thing again). They can unclip for a normal stop, but part of the reason cyclists get hurt so bad in crashes is they don't have time to unclip, so when they go down, the feet stay attached to the bike and the arms or head often hit first.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts