Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
81 - 100 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have ridden the 116 and the 114. Chieftain vs Street Glide. My Chieftain had good low end but was wanting above 3000 rpm. The 114 pulls strong through 4000 rpm. My Chief gets 36 mpg at 75 mph. My 114 gets 52 mpg at 75 mpg. I tour a lot and that matters. Just made a 5300 mile run to the twisted sisters, Harley was my choice for the trip. Both engines stock, the Harley runs much cooler. It was 95 in Texas, so that matters. I had a twin cam and it was miserable above 90 degrees just like the 116. When you compare to a Challenger - that is a different discussion all together. I am 65 and think this technology is the future.

When I take cross country runs I choose the Harley also due to the dealer network. They take really good care of me and they have parts in stock or can get them within hours.

I still really like Indian. Buy the bike you want and the one that fits your riding needs. Iron sharpens iron, and for that I am thankful Indian is back - big time.
This is a great post. Just the truth. I have owned bikes with all three engines. The Challenger is the best by far but if you are comparing air cooled engines the HD 114 runs dramatically cooler and get better gas mileage. Indian missed out. Leverage your strengths. Indian is the water cooled leader. If the Chiefs had one of the water cooled engines in them they would be the game changer just like the Challenger is. Indian don’t ever listen to focus groups who say older and less technology is better!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
375 Posts
Pardon my intrusion into this entertaining thread, particularly as someone who has not ridden any of the new Chiefs. But for some perspective based on the comments, these two Cycle World guys actually decided to compare a first-year production bike with one that’s been around and perfected (by HD’s standards anyway) for over thirty years. We all get that, don’t we? I mean, if you want to compare, I dunno, Pat Mahomes to Aaron Rodgers, I guess you can. They’re both QB’s, likely about the same size and weight, both have won Superbowls, and they have different strengths and weaknesses. But given how long Rodgers has been around, his track record, and how much he knows that Mahomes doesn’t, it’s still a crap comparison. So maybe we should give Indian a few years to work with the bike before getting all riled up about a review that was clearly designed to sell a few magazines. My .02. Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Does anyone ever pay attention to these comparisons?... Bikes have become like Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge vs. Toyota.. they are all basically the same with minor details being different (like the ride command on the Chief)... it boils down to what brand you like and believe it or not what brand you are loyal too... that is why IMO it is important to have entry level bikes and the Scout is not an entry level bike unless they come out with a 500 - 750cc they really are loss leaders.. but loss leaders are used for a reason

as far as the monoshock vs. the dual shock... wasn't it just a year or two ago that all the HD Dyna riders were decrying the ending of the Dyna line?... I think some of them have found a new home... and the dual shocks are a far cry from a rigid...
I would like to know the difference in build quality and dependability. I've been around bikes my whole life and this is where Harley bites.. Ask me how I know since I bought two brand new ones.. This is why I'm trying a Indian Chieftain to see for myself and we'll see..

·
Founding Member / Distinguished
4,670 Posts
I would like to know the difference in build quality and dependability. I've been around bikes my whole life and this is where Harley bites.. Ask me how I know since I bought two brand new ones.. This is why I'm trying a Indian Chieftain to see for myself and we'll see..
Well my experience has been different from yours . I've owned 6 Harleys and not one of them has ever left me stranded. I've never had a check engine light or stalling issues nothing at all.

Edit: on two of them I had the gear shift lever break.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

·
Silver member
5,026 Posts
Well my experience has been different from yours . I've owned 6 Harleys and not one of them has ever left me stranded. I've never had a check engine light or stalling issues nothing at all.

Edit: on two of them I had the gear shift lever break.

Same here, 'cept 12 HDs in 47ish years. '51 Pan bought used and abused, I gave the engine a rebuild. '78 FLH needed a new starter. Other than that pretty much just brakes, tires, oil changes for my Harley's, and often they all got rode hard and put away wet. But this is a Polaris site... oops, I mean Indian site, so Harley has gotta suk, right? I bought my '15 Vintage pre-loved just about 3 years ago and so far it's been a great ride. I just hope it hangs in there as well as my HDs did.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Nothing against the MoCo.....
Once upon a time, I had bought into the HD mentality that we were all "brothers".....

Then, long story short, I discovered the MoCo was a money hungry, penny pinching entity that knowingly sold a flawed bike (2006 1st year for 6speed tranny in the dyna chassis).

Break down after breakdown --- and I mean, like blown transmission, etc.

I ride a lot. I can't have it. I'll go to Honda if I have to.

Along came Victory. Over 100,000 trouble free miles.
Now on my second Indian.

If HD can put out a better bike, I may go back.

$2000 to replace a belt....oh, man, so many design flaws.....

·
Registered
2001 Indian Scout “Flaming Arrow”
75 Posts
I own both Harley and Indian. For me getting out on the road means getting away from distractions and technology. The new bikes in either camp are missing that point in some respects in my opinion.
I’ve never cared for liquid cooling on a bike. But I also live in upstate New York where temps aren’t what they are in the south or west!
I think it’s clear both camps are responding to the majority sales demographic(25-45 year olds)while still offering models for older riders like me.
Both will do what is in the best interest of the respective companies to maintain a profit margin that enables them to thrive and survive.
Smart!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Probably if you get down to it, Cycle World receives more advertising money from HD then Polaris/Indian for ads in their magazine, so they show a little favoritism toward HD. Sometimes its about the money.

·
Founding Member / Distinguished
4,670 Posts
Probably if you get down to it, Cycle World receives more advertising money from HD then Polaris/Indian for ads in their magazine, so they show a little favoritism toward HD. Sometimes its about the money.
Here we go if Harley wins it's always fixed, when Indian wins it's always legit.

·
Registered
306 Posts
No ..a Springfield would compete against a Road king bud!!
Seriously? What is the difference between a Vintage and a Springfield other than the hard saddle bags and wind screen? I thought they were the same bike with different trim. Indian lists the specs exactly the same for both bikes. Wheel base, overall length, seat height, lean angle, rake and trail numbers all match exactly for the 2021 model on the website.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Seriously? What is the difference between a Vintage and a Springfield other than the hard saddle bags and wind screen? I thought they were the same bike with different trim. Indian lists the specs exactly the same for both bikes. Wheel base, overall length, seat height, lean angle, rake and trail numbers all match exactly for the 2021 model on the website.
they are the same now. Vintage used to be different but now it’s just soft bags vs hard lockable bags and a few minor differences.

81 - 100 of 116 Posts