Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
61 - 80 of 116 Posts

·
Bronze member
2,104 Posts
Actually, the RK only costs $500 more than the Heritage. I believe a case can be made either way, and one should choose based on the capabilities one wants, not what someone else compares/recommends.

What's interesting is that a year or two ago, HD moved the Heritage out of its Cruiser section to the Touring section. It is a good option for touring. So one should compare the Vintage/Springfield to the Heritage, regardless of weight. Now, HD has moved the Heritage back to the Cruiser section, so that it looks like one should line it up to the Super Chief, which is not positioned product wise for touring. So which is it, HD? Weight and specs look similar, but product placement/capability is how companies market. When the Super Chief gets differentiated to accept more touring like accessories, then it will be a direct comparison. For now, it is not.

BTW, I believe Indian made a mistake with their product placement choice of the Super Chief, both price-wise and target market. I have written that if I wanted touring/two-up in a lighter motorcycle, I would choose Heritage. If not, I would choose Super Chief. As it turned out, I chose the Chief Darkhorse, because I wanted a better Dyna, which it will be once I put min Apes and forward controls on.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
IMARIDER, I don't totally disagree with your opnion that the Heritage and Chief Limited could have a side by side comparo. Cycle World had every right to to do that. But I think that is Indian's fault for trying to add some touring accessories onto a bike that is really meant to be a one-up boulevard cruiser, By releasing this model of the Chief they invited that comparison article and lost. As you would expect.

I still don't think the Heritage and Chief Limited will attract the same buyers though. I haven't ridden the new Chief, but I wouldn't even consider it over the Heritage. Different purpose. We'll see, but I think the Plain-Jane and DH models of the Chief will sell way more than the Limited touring wannabe, and the owners of those Chiefs will be very happy.

I would actually like to see the Chief Limited compared to the HD SportGlide, which is HD's attempt to turn a boulevard cruiser into a weekend touring bike. That would be a more fair comparison. They are more alike as far as how the manufacturers set them up and who they want to target. I remember Cycle World's test of the SportGlide a couple years ago, and they found it lacking in a lot of respects, like the Chief.

The Chief's rear suspension travel and the lean angle are flaws that might hold back sales though. Indian does have some improvements to make on the Chief, and they probably will make those changes in future years.

·
Registered
2022 Chief Bobber Dark Horse, 2021 Indian Vintage, 2019 Indian FTR-RR, 1977 Yamaha XS750
499 Posts
First - my Chief is built. Cams, throttle body, fuel injectors, high flow forward facing intake and modified stage1 exhaust and tuned. No stock 114 Harley will touch it.
Second - My Vintage has a 111 and is is 150lbs heavier than a 114 Heritage. Cycle World compared the 114 Heritage to the 116 Super Chief…The Vintage is not a direct competitor to the HD Heritage. It is a much bigger bike…
88103869-BEB3-42DC-A8B1-8D1A13AA001F.jpeg
D9BF168B-D324-4D21-8DAF-6C5CCA18393A.jpeg
88103869-BEB3-42DC-A8B1-8D1A13AA001F.jpeg
AAF99C50-76E9-4867-8E82-E837D5F6DB80.jpeg
D9BF168B-D324-4D21-8DAF-6C5CCA18393A.jpeg

·
Founding Member / Distinguished
4,670 Posts
First - my Chief is built. Cams, throttle body, fuel injectors, high flow forward facing intake and modified stage1 exhaust and tuned. No stock 114 Harley will touch it.
Second - My Vintage has a 111 and is is 150lbs heavier than a 114 Heritage. Cycle World compared the 114 Heritage to the 116 Super Chief…The Vintage is not a direct competitor to the HD Heritage. It is a much bigger bike… View attachment 642075 View attachment 642077 View attachment 642075 View attachment 642076 View attachment 642077
That’s impressive! Sounds like no stock Chief could touch either!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just like the reviews for products on Amazon have proved to be a scam....

What about bike reviews?

Is objectivity lost? Here's a well done, friendly review. Dang -- they make the Harley sound great!
But..... others say differently.....

I was amazed at how close the bikes are on the spec sheet!

I heard a bunch of ranting and raving about performance on the Chief....but it seems HD has had it all along (according to these guys) and has kinda gone unrecognized.
I’m still wondering why Indian made a bike that in almost every dimension mimics the Harley. I was hoping that in the Chief lineup Indian would bring out a water cooled, high horsepower engine that would take it into the future, and they equipped the line with an air cooled engine. All the while, Harley in the new Sportster S comes out with a water cooled, high tech power plant.
Go figure.

·
4,670 Posts
I’m still wondering why Indian made a bike that in almost every dimension mimics the Harley. I was hoping that in the Chief lineup Indian would bring out a water cooled, high horsepower engine that would take it into the future, and they equipped the line with an air cooled engine. All the while, Harley in the new Sportster S comes out with a water cooled, high tech power plant.
Go figure.
They are going after the sales of pissed of Dyna riders. So the built a Dyna like bike

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
The two biggest advantages for the Heritage is the monoshock rear suspension which has more travel and the bigger locking saddlebags. A smoother more compliant ride with more luggage capacity wins. I still like the Indian though but that's not really an objective thing, just a personal preference.
I can't understand why Indian would only put 3 inches of travel in the rear suspension. That somewhat negates my whole purpose for wanting to move up. I love the looks of the chief leaps and bounds over the Herritage but had the opportunity to demo the Herritage at a big event in my area last weekend. It's a very good bike and was especially comfortable to ride.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I can't understand why Indian would only put 3 inches of travel in the rear suspension. That somewhat negates my whole purpose for wanting to move up. I love the looks of the chief leaps and bounds over the Herritage but had the opportunity to demo the Herritage at a big event in my area last weekend. It's a very good bike and was especially comfortable to ride.
I suspect for the next iteration both Indians and big Harleys will have mono shocks with decent travel.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think these two blokes tried to be as unbiased as they could but the many years of riding Harley had shone through. I felt they were comparing 1 Indian with many Harley's. To get a real comparison I think it would have been better to have a couple of Jap bike riders who have never rode the American V-twins. Would I buy a Harley after watching this. No my preference has always been to Suzuki and Indian. Harley are beautifully engineered but not my style.
The use of "Jap" is highly derogatory and considered a racial slur. I get what you are trying to get across and I agree that people that are not Harley or Indian riders could give a non biased opinion of the bike they like best

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just like the reviews for products on Amazon have proved to be a scam....

What about bike reviews?

Is objectivity lost? Here's a well done, friendly review. Dang -- they make the Harley sound great!
But..... others say differently.....

I was amazed at how close the bikes are on the spec sheet!

I heard a bunch of ranting and raving about performance on the Chief....but it seems HD has had it all along (according to these guys) and has kinda gone unrecognized.
Nice review and thanks for the comparison. One thing to be highlighted is how good the S Chief L is because it's compared with the HD Heritage. The Indian SCL is against HD Sport Glide and the HD Heritage is against Indian Vintage. It’s kind of unfair to compare it with the Heritage.

·
Registered
24 Posts
This is a hot post! Lol these two bikes were very evenly matched, the new softail chassis is only 3 or 4 years old, better suspension, better handling, better brakes and more power than the old mans bike previous model. And from what I heard from dealers, one of the best selling bikes from HD the last three years and counting. The whole reason Indian came out with the super chief/chief line was to compete directly with the new and improved selling like hot cakes soft tail line. Small bike big engine set up. As far as I know neither guy from cycle world were ever “Harley guys” most of the guys at the California based magazine are sport guys through and through with a touch of tour. I was surprised by the review but it was hard to argue.

·
4,670 Posts
For all the people who says the comparison should be Heritage with the Vintage instead of the Super Chief? The specs don't match up at all. So what's your reasoning?

·
Registered
2022 Chief Bobber Dark Horse, 2021 Indian Vintage, 2019 Indian FTR-RR, 1977 Yamaha XS750
499 Posts
Chief - If you like it buy it! (I did)
If not - Get a Harley…You will fit right in with the rest of the herd. (Get black, I haven’t seen one for a while….)

·
4,670 Posts
Chief - If you like it buy it! (I did)
If not - Get a Harley…You will fit right in with the rest of the herd. (Get black, I haven’t seen one for a while….)
Wow it's only a review lol. Indians can't win every comparison test.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,223 Posts
Go figure.
Because they built what their customers were begging for; though maybe not you. If you go back and read comments that came out after the Scout was release A LOT of people wanted a bike in between the Scout and the heavy cruisers. Indian gave them exactly what they asked for. And by all accounts they're selling like hot cakes.

·
Registered
499 Posts
IAMARIDER: Do you “Ride” or read reviews? Why would you spend 20K+ on a motorcycle because Cycle World said so… Throw a leg over.. Make your own decision….

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have ridden the 116 and the 114. Chieftain vs Street Glide. My Chieftain had good low end but was wanting above 3000 rpm. The 114 pulls strong through 4000 rpm. My Chief gets 36 mpg at 75 mph. My 114 gets 52 mpg at 75 mpg. I tour a lot and that matters. Just made a 5300 mile run to the twisted sisters, Harley was my choice for the trip. Both engines stock, the Harley runs much cooler. It was 95 in Texas, so that matters. I had a twin cam and it was miserable above 90 degrees just like the 116. When you compare to a Challenger - that is a different discussion all together. I am 65 and think this technology is the future.

When I take cross country runs I choose the Harley also due to the dealer network. They take really good care of me and they have parts in stock or can get them within hours.

I still really like Indian. Buy the bike you want and the one that fits your riding needs. Iron sharpens iron, and for that I am thankful Indian is back - big time.

·
4,670 Posts
IAMARIDER: Do you “Ride” or read reviews? Why would you spend 20K+ on a motorcycle because Cycle World said so… Throw a leg over.. Make your own decision….
Of course I ride and I understand it’s only a review that I happen to agree with. Truthfully I could care less who won the review. If Harley would lost my feelings is they should have done better. You bought a Chief so your emotions are involved with their decision.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I should have gone for the 114 Street Bob…Oh the shame….
019D6171-D750-47B5-9E4D-81F681A7AD23.jpeg

61 - 80 of 116 Posts