Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 116 Posts

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,223 Posts
I personally go with Indian mostly because of the engine and, haven owned a Victory before, Polaris' reputation compared to The Motor Company. When the Milwaukee Eight engine first came out I test rode one. It was a nice engine and I considered it. The only Harley I've ever seriously considered buying was the V Rod, again because of the engine. But this one seemed to be a good performer as well. The Milwaukee Eight has since had it's share of issues. I was on a ride with two friends a while back. One was on a brand new CVO Road Glide with the 117 kit. It broke down 100 miles from home due to what we later found out was a broken valve spring. I know every bike has it's faults and one off failures, but I just hear about the Harleys having issues more; that could also be because there is more of them ;)

I am not an Indian "fan boy" in that I love all bikes and realize every bike has some winners and some losers. I'll bust some balls with other riders just before he hit the road together. For me the Indian Chief fits my riding style, has a rock solid and proven engine, and looks old school but still has some modern creature comforts. It does have some areas that can be improved, especially, IMO the Ride Command functionality and passenger comfort. I would also prefer cast wheels vice spokes for the ability to repair a flat on the road as well as ease of maintenance/cleaning. Obviously those things weren't deal breakers for me.

Overall I rode and bought what appeals to me. Had this article come out before I bought my Chief the most it would've done was made me consider looking at the Harley; but I doubt it would've changed what I bought.

·
Founding Member / Distinguished
4,670 Posts
Another publication could do the same review and arrive at completely different results. I’ve always looked at reviews by magazines that sell advertising with suspicion. If a company buys lots of ad space does that impact the magazine‘s review results?
So another publication wouldn’t have seen the small bags that don’t lock ? Or the trim falling off both sides of the tank ? Or the nice Ride Command which they gave a lot of praise to? Or the shorter braking distance? Would the performance numbers be different too? What about the
lean angles, will the Harley have less and the Indian more ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
2,848 Posts
So another publication wouldn’t have seen the small bags that don’t lock ? Or the trim falling off both sides of the tank ? Or the nice Ride Command which they gave a lot of praise to? Or the shorter braking distance? Would the performance numbers be different too? What about the
lean angles, will the Harley have less and the Indian more ?

Another publication might not have put much importance to locking bags, Ride Command, etc. How many times do you read on this forum where someone likes something that others don’t? I recall when the RM came out and it was being compared to the Ultra. I read one article where they found the RM brakes lacking, while the other publication praised the brakes.

·
4,670 Posts
Another publication might not have put much importance to locking bags, Ride Command, etc. How many times do you read on this forum where someone likes something that others don’t? I recall when the RM came out and it was being compared to the Ultra. I read one article where they found the RM brakes lacking, while the other publication praised the brakes.
That’s true I’ve seen the same thing. There’s a YouTuber named Brandon Bicasso who recently took a trip on a Indian Super Chief that was loaned to him by the factory. He shows himself packing for the trip and he shows how small the bags are. This was a bike to bike comparison that’s why they noticed the bags.

·
Bronze member
2,104 Posts
If I wanted saddlebags, larger tank and 2 up, I would have choosen the heritage. But I have a Springfield, so went with the chief dark horse. I think of the new super Chief as a weekend scoot. The heritage is a more capable bike with better suspension and solid performance.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I never bought into bike reviews and probably never will. Most reviewers are biased no matter how much they try to stay neutral so their reviews are not reliable.Test riders, like the rest of us have different riding styles and preferences. All these reviews are on new, complete stock bikes with most tests at a rather short period of time unlike the real world.
I would personally like to see long term reviews (like a few years) with needed upgrading costs, failures, maintenance costs and reliability Then and only then will there be an honest review.

I have my own opinions and biases too. I have ridden many different bikes over the years. To this day, for me, the nicest riding motorcycle I have ever ridden on is the Yamaha Royal Star Venture, hands down. I loved them so much that I owned 4 of them over the years. The only upgrade needed was $80.00 for pull back risers to personally fit me. The engines are literally bullet proof, will smoke most v-twins and ride like Cadillacs. Oh and they look good too. Unfortunately they are very top heavy and the older I got the harder it got for me to handle walking it and do slow maneuvers. Funny thing is that they never got any respect in comparison reviews. As usual HD's always came out on top. The RSV is way quicker, and rides better than HD ever will...but , well, biased test riders. Oh well.

My 2016 RM is as close to the RSV as I have found in handling and suspension with the added plus of the weight being low. But you will never see that in a review either.
I had a venture for years … 1300 cc v4… moving that bike … … I… someone should take note that when it comes down to it you need a class leading motors … with power… those who choose to use it … great … those who choose not to …great… I see a lot old men driving z06s like old ladies coming home from church, … but you know what it can do… class leading …means power… look at this forum … with cams … and tunes … how about the manufacturer doing it for a change

·
Registered
1,313 Posts

·
4,670 Posts
Case and point!
View attachment 641893

We live in an insane assylum.
That’s different application. That would be like in the comment section of the review. The review is the product.
An app like that wouldn’t be used for publications. The reviewers of the magazine gave their opinion on a comparison between two different motorcycles. How is that fake ?
The reviews on Amazon are from consumers reviews not journalist.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Hahahaha so fake reviews are okay, but a potentially misleading app that would help find fake reviews and might accidentally label real reviews as fake, not okay. I got it!
Yeah....but....
Shouldn't we be free to have any stupid app we want?!?

I need an app that selects the best bike for me that will fulfill my wildest dreams.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Yeah....but....
Shouldn't we be free to have any stupid app we want?!?

I need an app that selects the best bike for me that will fulfill my wildest dreams.
Dude, you gotta make that app! Maybe a dating app for motorcycles. Swipe right or left if you wanna go out with one! Seriously though, Amazon is just flexing muscle because they’d rather pretend that all the reviews are legitimate than admit they have a problem. Amazon gets what it wants.

Reactions: Notaharley

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
That’s different application. That would be like in the comment section of the review. The review is the product.
An app like that wouldn’t be used for publications. The reviewers of the magazine gave their opinion on a comparison between two different motorcycles. How is that fake ?

Thought it was funny/ironic that I was talking about biased reviews....and in the news, Amazon is trying to protect their bogus product reviews.

It used to be --- when we had PAPER magazines that they all got $$ from the MoCo and would REALLY skew their reviews.

I wonder if that still goes on?

·
4,670 Posts
Thought it was funny/ironic that I was talking about biased reviews....and in the news, Amazon is trying to protect their bogus product reviews.

It used to be --- when we had PAPER magazines that they all got $$ from the MoCo and would REALLY skew their reviews.

I wonder if that still goes on?
Maybe you can’t except this review because of YOUR bias towards Harley ?
I mean it’s your name.

·
Registered
2022 Chief Bobber Dark Horse, 2021 Indian Vintage, 2019 Indian FTR-RR, 1977 Yamaha XS750
499 Posts
I was out and about yesterday and saw a new HD Heritage - Super Chief killer (at least according to Cycle World) parked in the lot at Tiki Bar! I was a nice looking bike but I have a friends who owns a new Super Chief and it is also a beautiful motorcycle. My friend Jim’s SC is Blue with lots of chrome. It is a much prettier bike IMO. I also saw a HD 114 Bobber? (I don’t know my Harley models very well) parked near my Chief Bobber. My Chief was getting a lot more attention and looks than this Harley. With all the mods I have made to my Chief I don’t think this Harley could touch it!
7FE7E383-878E-4649-9E94-E93F0C32A657.jpeg
E3953DE8-03BC-444F-8A50-752576E0D228.jpeg
F925ED9D-AED7-4A08-BAEB-B2CD87CD694E.jpeg

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
The Heritage Classic was the only bike I tested before buying my 21 Vintage. I was impressed by the HD and would have bought it if I hadn't ridden the Indian the next day. (Sure glad I did!). Comparing the Heritage to the VIntage or Springfield is much fairer than comparing it to a boulevard cruiser like the Chief, IMO.

When I rode the Vintage my first impression was that the Vintage was a bit more touchy on throttle response and the steering was a bit more "twitchy" feeling at speed. The HD's throttle was very much like the Indian with its Ride Mode set on Touring. I agree with these reviewers when they say you feel "connected" to the HD. I felt it was very easy to ride and control. Very easy to do parking lot turns and cruise down the highway. I liked the feel and sound of the HD. Paint and chrome quality on a Harley are outstanding. I agree with pretty much everything in the review of the HD.

However, the better suspension and ride quality of the Indian was VERY noticeable. Bumps nearly disappeared. I felt less cramped on the Indian. Harleys always seem too small for me. The Indian felt lighter. To me, the Indian did feel more like it had more torque and top end power, but the fact that the Indian is so smooth and comfortable might just make it seem that way.

Visually, the Indian was clearly the winner for me. Everything on the bike flows together and small details are well thought out. Looks are subjective, but there is no question you will stick out and get attention from riders and non-riders on an Indian.

Harleys have improved SO much since I worked at a HD dealership in 1999. The frames used to look like they were bolted together in a John Deere factory. WIres and crap hanging everywhere like an afterthought. The brakes used to make you wonder if you were going to be able to stop. The fit and finish details and ride quality are so much better now. I really don't think they would have improved as much without the presence of VIctory, and now Indian. They have more incentive to make better American bikes. Competition is good for the industry.

IMO, Indian would be selling a lot more bikes if not for the peer pressure and "macho biker" branding that fuels HD. Many HD owners just wouldn't feel right switching over and looked at as "traitors". The fight for younger and new riders will be very important for the future of HD and Indian. Scouts need to outshine the new Sportsters. We'll see.

Not long after I bought my Vintage, a new Heritage came up beside me at a red light. It still had the dealer plate. I think it may have been the very bike I tested! The rider looked over and said "Nice bike". I said "Same to you". In the end, there really isn't a whole lot of difference between the two brands. You could be happy on either one. Both brands need to stay on their toes and keep improving.

·
4,670 Posts
I was out and about yesterday and saw a new HD Heritage - Super Chief killer (at least according to Cycle World) parked in the lot at Tiki Bar! I was a nice looking bike but I have a friends who owns a new Super Chief and it is also a beautiful motorcycle. My friend Jim’s SC is Blue with lots of chrome. It is a much prettier bike IMO. I also saw a HD 114 Bobber? (I don’t know my Harley models very well) parked near my Chief Bobber. My Chief was getting a lot more attention and looks than this Harley. With all the mods I have made to my Chief I don’t think this Harley could touch it!
View attachment 642031 View attachment 642032 View attachment 642033
Unfortunately this comparison wasn’t about looks or popularity. The your Bobber is a nice looking Indian and I’m sure it would win if just judging by the looks and popularity.

·
4,670 Posts
The Heritage Classic was the only bike I tested before buying my 21 Vintage. I was impressed by the HD and would have bought it if I hadn't ridden the Indian the next day. (Sure glad I did!). Comparing the Heritage to the VIntage or Springfield is much fairer than comparing it to a boulevard cruiser like the Chief, IMO.

When I rode the Vintage my first impression was that the Vintage was a bit more touchy on throttle response and the steering was a bit more "twitchy" feeling at speed. The HD's throttle was very much like the Indian with its Ride Mode set on Touring. I agree with these reviewers when they say you feel "connected" to the HD. I felt it was very easy to ride and control. Very easy to do parking lot turns and cruise down the highway. I liked the feel and sound of the HD. Paint and chrome quality on a Harley are outstanding. I agree with pretty much everything in the review of the HD.

However, the better suspension and ride quality of the Indian was VERY noticeable. Bumps nearly disappeared. I felt less cramped on the Indian. Harleys always seem too small for me. The Indian felt lighter. To me, the Indian did feel more like it had more torque and top end power, but the fact that the Indian is so smooth and comfortable might just make it seem that way.

Visually, the Indian was clearly the winner for me. Everything on the bike flows together and small details are well thought out. Looks are subjective, but there is no question you will stick out and get attention from riders and non-riders on an Indian.

Harleys have improved SO much since I worked at a HD dealership in 1999. The frames used to look like they were bolted together in a John Deere factory. WIres and crap hanging everywhere like an afterthought. The brakes used to make you wonder if you were going to be able to stop. The fit and finish details and ride quality are so much better now. I really don't think they would have improved as much without the presence of VIctory, and now Indian. They have more incentive to make better American bikes. Competition is good for the industry.

IMO, Indian would be selling a lot more bikes if not for the peer pressure and "macho biker" branding that fuels HD. Many HD owners just wouldn't feel right switching over and looked at as "traitors". The fight for younger and new riders will be very important for the future of HD and Indian. Scouts need to outshine the new Sportsters. We'll see.

Not long after I bought my Vintage, a new Heritage came up beside me at a red light. It still had the dealer plate. I think it may have been the very bike I tested! The rider looked over and said "Nice bike". I said "Same to you". In the end, there really isn't a whole lot of difference between the two brands. You could be happy on either one. Both brands need to stay on their toes and keep improving.
Just a quick question. If the Super Chief and the Heritage Classic specs are pretty close to each other why do you feel it would be a better match up against the Vintage which is a larger bike and a 100# heavier?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Comparing the Heritage to the vintage is like comparing the Heritage to a RoadKing. RoadKing will probably win in most comparisons as it’s bigger, heavier, has a chassis designed for touring and costs several thousand dollars more. Scouts vs Sportsters, Chiefs vs Softail, Vintage/Springfield vs RoadKing, RoadMaster vs Ultra Classic and the Challenger vs the RoadGlide. If anyone does a comparison of the Chief Bobber will they put it up against a Sportster 1200 or a StreetBob?

41 - 60 of 116 Posts