Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just like the reviews for products on Amazon have proved to be a scam....

What about bike reviews?

Is objectivity lost? Here's a well done, friendly review. Dang -- they make the Harley sound great!
But..... others say differently.....

I was amazed at how close the bikes are on the spec sheet!

I heard a bunch of ranting and raving about performance on the Chief....but it seems HD has had it all along (according to these guys) and has kinda gone unrecognized.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Ouch. That was a pretty brutal comparison. If they aren’t just Harley fan boys and they were being objective, then the Harley seemed to win in every category.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
This comparison was not in any way legitimate. These bikes are not in the same class!
The Heritage should go up against the Vintage (which it has and was easily bested by the Indian).
If HD fans want to compare the new Chief to a Harley, shove a 114 in a Sportster chassis!
Wait a second. They are nearly the same price, dimensions, displacement, and weight (Harley is a touch lighter.) How is the comparison not valid? The vintage would be a much heavier bike.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
It would appear so. But as pointed out. The Indian is a new model. Hard to beat the Harley when they've been refining their bike for so many years.

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,837 Posts
Wait a second. They are nearly the same price, dimensions, displacement, and weight (Harley is a touch lighter.) How is the comparison not valid? The vintage would be a much heavier bike.
The chief is an in town cruiser while the Heritage Softail is ”nearly” a touring bike comparable with the Vintage. The Heritage and Vintage look very similar, serve the exact same purpose, and are comparable in weight, size, displacement, function.
Or, let me add saddlebags, touring suspension, and windshield to the Chief.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
The chief is an in town cruiser while the Heritage Softail is ”nearly” a touring bike comparable with the Vintage. The Heritage and Vintage look very similar, serve the exact same purpose, and are comparable in weight, size, displacement, function.
Or, let me add saddlebags, touring suspension, and windshield to the Chief.
Dude… the vintage is 120 pounds heavier than the Harley. The super chief comes with a windshield and bags. The Harley as tested was 12 pounds lighter than the comparable chief. I really don’t get where you’re coming from. They were also riding aggressively. That wasn’t touring conditions.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,603 Posts
The two biggest advantages for the Heritage is the monoshock rear suspension which has more travel and the bigger locking saddlebags. A smoother more compliant ride with more luggage capacity wins. I still like the Indian though but that's not really an objective thing, just a personal preference.

·
Bronze member
3,504 Posts
Does anyone ever pay attention to these comparisons?... Bikes have become like Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge vs. Toyota.. they are all basically the same with minor details being different (like the ride command on the Chief)... it boils down to what brand you like and believe it or not what brand you are loyal too... that is why IMO it is important to have entry level bikes and the Scout is not an entry level bike unless they come out with a 500 - 750cc they really are loss leaders.. but loss leaders are used for a reason

as far as the monoshock vs. the dual shock... wasn't it just a year or two ago that all the HD Dyna riders were decrying the ending of the Dyna line?... I think some of them have found a new home... and the dual shocks are a far cry from a rigid...

·
Registered
2012 Indian Chief Vintage . 2016 Indian Roadmaster
729 Posts
It's like reading a movie review of a movie you love, and the "critic" hates and wondering if they watched the same flick. Ride, make your own decisions and make a purchase based on YOUR likes.

·
Registered
306 Posts
This comparison was not in any way legitimate. These bikes are not in the same class!
The Heritage should go up against the Vintage (which it has and was easily bested by the Indian).
If HD fans want to compare the new Chief to a Harley, shove a 114 in a Sportster chassis!
I think it’s as close a comparison as possible. The Vintage would compete with a RoadKing and the Chief would compete with a Softail.

·
Registered
Scout Bobber 20, 2021, Vintage Dark Horse 2021.
26 Posts
I think these two blokes tried to be as unbiased as they could but the many years of riding Harley had shone through. I felt they were comparing 1 Indian with many Harley's. To get a real comparison I think it would have been better to have a couple of Jap bike riders who have never rode the American V-twins. Would I buy a Harley after watching this. No my preference has always been to Suzuki and Indian. Harley are beautifully engineered but not my style.

·
2,837 Posts
I think it’s as close a comparison as possible. The Vintage would compete with a RoadKing and the Chief would compete with a Softail.
Road king vs Springfield.
Heritage Softail vs Vintage

HD has nothing that will compete with the smaller Chief with big bike power.
I did a demo ride on the new Chief, I used to own a Heritage Softail, they are not in the same class.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Road king vs Springfield.
Heritage Softail vs Vintage

HD has nothing that will compete with the smaller Chief with big bike power.
I did a demo ride on the new Chief, I used to own a Heritage Softail, they are not in the same class.
The heritage as tested was 12 pounds lighter than the chief. 114 cubes vs 116 cubes. Near identical dimensions. Near identical price. If that’s not a legitimate comparison, then I don’t know what is. I can’t wrap my mind around people saying they’re not comparable bikes!

·
2,837 Posts
The heritage as tested was 12 pounds lighter than the chief. 114 cubes vs 116 cubes. Near identical dimensions. Near identical price. If that’s not a legitimate comparison, then I don’t know what is. I can’t wrap my mind around people saying they’re not comparable bikes!
Then you don't know what is and you can't wrap your mind around it. That's okay.
Ride them.
Expand your mind.
No don't. Just remain here.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Then you don't know what is and you can't wrap your mind around it. That's okay.
Ride them.
Expand your mind.
Well from an uneducated consumer’s point of view, if I was in the market for that size bike those two would be exactly what I would compare. Before I bought my roadmaster I compared the street glide and road glide. Before I bought my pan America, I compared the bmw gsa and the Ducati multistrada. Two bikes, identical in weight, price, displacement, and dimensions are typically what I compare. I apologize for not being a true and studied connoisseur such as yourself.

Reactions: IMARIDER

·
Registered
131 Posts
Ride them.
Expand your mind.
I have no idea where you are coming from. The Chief is designed to compete with the Softail line. They are similar. And I have ridden both repeatedly. I had a Harley with a 114. I now have a Challenger.
I will be blunt. The Chief is a nice bike it will have ok sales for those don’t want to buy a Harley or a Indian loyalists. It’s a missed opportunity to continue Indians leadership with water cooled engines. Imagine if you put the FTR engine in the bikes with some typical new technology. That’s a category leader vs a me too.
The Indian 111 and 116 are hot engines. The HD 114 is less so. Both are dramatically hotter than a water cooled engine with less power.

Indian needs to stop listening to guys my age telling them how to build bikes. I am 59. It has been clearly stated by Indian this was key to the design. When you listen to most guys my age you get let’s go old style, air cooled engines and generally less technology.

No one gives a rats ass if you have a water cooled engine in todays market. They want more power and easier riding.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 116 Posts