Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

· Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Maybe just dry heave.

Removing the fenders does not make a bike a "custom build". Nearly every "custom" Chief, Scout, whatever is the same bike. Useless, fenderless ---
No offense to those who love the style.
Fuel tank Wheel Tire Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Automotive fuel system

It is nice to see a builder REALLY show off a custom bike. He didn't name it. He fabricated a one-off classic custom --- like it or hate it, you gotta respect the work and the style he presents.

Tire Wheel Motorcycle Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Motorcycle Vehicle

More pictures in the article and some nice close ups.

Whaddya think?!?

· Registered
2,787 Posts
Everyone’s got their own thing. Personally I never understood the concept of bobbers. Someone actually thought to themselves, “Hmm, what can I do to maximize rock chips and increase the chances of throwing a rock at my buddies behind me? Oh and if I could just figure out a way to really shoot water right up my back side on a wet road… what to do?”

· Registered
2021 Scout Bobber, black smoke, Stage 1. Disabled Marine Vet.
366 Posts
Everyone’s got their own thing. Personally I never understood the concept of bobbers. Someone actually thought to themselves, “Hmm, what can I do to maximize rock chips and increase the chances of throwing a rock at my buddies behind me? Oh and if I could just figure out a way to really shoot water right up my back side on a wet road… what to do?”
I think it was more , “hey I just got back from war and I want to find that rush”, so dudes started removing all the unnecessary stuff from their bikes to make them faster. Then like everything else, it just became a style. To each their own I guess.

· Registered
697 Posts
I like traditional bobbers and minimalist style. I also realize why people now add more/brighter lights, signals etc for safety (opposite of a true bobber) to their bikes. However I am sick of “custom bikes” being ordering a few bolt ons from a catalog and having your dealer install them. Make it your own sure, but custom build it is not. Also, while not everyone is a mechanic, I can’t believe how many people don’t do their own maintenance!! Buy a service manual, watch others and learn about your bike. Even washing your bike is important, not for aesthetics but to get up close with your bike and look for potential problems. Look for loose bolts, tire wear, inspect your brakes, cables, belt, chain, hoses etc.

Ok, grumpy rant over. Enjoy the Ride!!

· Registered
395 Posts
I rented a scout bobber once and it got a lot of compliments. More than my scout 60.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

I like the looks, but not the suspension so much. The grenades sounded cool, but were way too loud for all the time.

The blue custom bike in your photo, is it as functional though? Extreme modifications like that are obviously noticeable, but I wouldn't do anything that changes performance. But that's just me. I would still want the bike to perform like a scout.

· Rider
579 Posts
Sorry .....going to chime in even though I shouldn't. The other one that leaves me SMH is "My Build".
Guy buys a bike (of any brand), bolts on an aftermarket backrest and highway pegs, maybe a windshield and mounts a full-scale post with multiple pics announcing, "My XXX Build". (I get it .....pride in your ride is a good thing.)
LOLOL

· Rider
March 2022 ROTM Winner
3,136 Posts

· Registered
Indian Chieftain Ltd 2018
428 Posts
what's custom? what's bobber? what's cafe racer? what's ...
gosh, we had that so many times, it's like an oil thread threat. ;-)
these are all stock bikes with some basic mods. call them whatever you want.
Just be sure to ride them hard and long.
no need for pukerbabe coming up hard on people who're happy with simple mods.

· Bronze member
1,360 Posts
Maybe just dry heave.

Removing the fenders does not make a bike a "custom build". Nearly every "custom" Chief, Scout, whatever is the same bike. Useless, fenderless ---
No offense to those who love the style.
View attachment 670382
View attachment 670383

It is nice to see a builder REALLY show off a custom bike. He didn't name it. He fabricated a one-off classic custom --- like it or hate it, you gotta respect the work and the style he presents.

View attachment 670380

View attachment 670381

More pictures in the article and some nice close ups.

Whaddya think?!?
Here’s what I think…

· Registered
272 Posts
Leave the Bobber as it comes from the factory....ride it for a year and trade it in for a bigger machine....if you have spare dollars...maybe keep the Bobber....or add the Triumph Bobber...if you love the style.

Anyway, Bobbers are damn good looking bikes....attracts so many eye balls and chicks!

· Registered
2022 Chief Bobber Dark Horse, 2021 Vintage, 2019 FTR-RR, 2021 Scout Bobber, 1977 Yamaha XS750
1,880 Posts
square_leg: Pitt Cycles is now a Triumph dealer. Stopped by Saturday to see all the new bikes. Sat on a 1200 Triumph Bobber. I am 6’-195 and it felt small compared to the other 1200 parallel twin models and a stock Scout bobber just looks cooler in my opinion. It also has a lot of unlocked performance potential. Almost done with mine. Then I plan to remove the fenders and change the seat to “customize” it for Notaharley!

· Rider
542 Posts
I'm not going to chime in on my opinion of bobbers or what the next man considers a custom bike or their "build". I do have an opinion, but it's worth about as much as a velvet painting of a whale and a dolphin getting it on. I just wanted to point out the "why" bobbers existed in the first place. WWII vets came back and looked to bikes for thrills and cheap transport. Many of them raced for fun. During these races shit would bend and break from time to time (like fenders) and many times the dudes would just cut the mangled portion of the fender off. Other items were removed for weight savings, but the fenders typically got chopped because they were trashed from a wipe out. Fast forward to today and it's just a style that was born from those racers all those decades ago. In some cases repackaged and sold to us by the factory. Began as a practicality ended up as a style. My $.02 ($.10 adjusted for inflation)

· Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
square_leg: Pitt Cycles is now a Triumph dealer. Stopped by Saturday to see all the new bikes. Sat on a 1200 Triumph Bobber. I am 6’-195 and it felt small compared to the other 1200 parallel twin models and a stock Scout bobber just looks cooler in my opinion. It also has a lot of unlocked performance potential. Almost done with mine. Then I plan to remove the fenders and change the seat to “customize” it for Notaharley!
Lol!!
Can't wait to see it!

The Scout is a darn good machine. It amazes me how it fits so many different size riders and does just about anything.

I'm itching for a standard bike, right now.... If I could jack the Scout up and get mid controls on her, I'd do it (but not for any price!)

1 - 20 of 84 Posts