Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While the motorcycle world has been buzzing about the new Indian motorcycles, now that the dust is beginning to settle, I thought I'd ask a 'usability' question about the three models.

Yes, it's very nice that Bluetooth, Keyless Control as well as a Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS) has been included, looking at the side view of these bikes, I'm wondering just how easy will it be to check the rear tire pressure? Take a look at these photos and let's hear your thoughts on this:

Thoughts?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Checking is easy, but filling may be a different story. I usually stand on my head and do a back twist to do my CCT.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check tire pressure, thats the tire fitters job!

Just kidding, real question is why arent right angle valves standard on bikes?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
10469 said:
Checking is easy, but filling may be a different story. I usually stand on my head and do a back twist to do my CCT.
Thanks! Yes, I meant 'filling!'

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I imagine it's the same as all the other baggers out there, roll the bike until the valve is at the bottom, set it on the kick stand so the right pipe is higher off the ground and attack the valve from the right side of the bike. Then call your significant other to help you get back up off the ground.....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If I'm not trusting the dash readout for tire pressures on the new Indian, my technique is as follows;

You check it yourself by swearing under your breath while collecting the necessary items you'll need
Lining up the rear tire's air valve by pushing the bike forward
Checking the position of the valve
Swear
Push the bike forward again and rechecking the position of the valve
Swear a little louder with more colorful words my Nurse wife taught me.
Then rolling the bike slightly backwards to get the valve at bottom dead center
Slam both knees on the ground making sure to have some gravel underneath them
Swearing again, loud enough that the neighbors can hear me
Then flopping over on one side and threading the tire gauge's hose through the disk brake and proceed to get your hands and shirt sleeve dirty while unscrewing the cap.
Next you actually attempt to get a reading while letting out some air inadvertantly, then swear some more.
Fill with air to replace the air that escaped earlier.

After that, you look around to make sure nobody's looking, and then you slowly struggle to get back upright while your knees are screaming at you.

Repeat entire procedure for front tire.
Then you go in the house, change your shirt, wash your hands, brush off the dirt on your knees and take an Advil.

That's my routine for my Vision, and I imagine it wouldn't vary much for the Indian.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
4360 said:
If I'm not trusting the dash readout for tire pressures on the new Indian, my technique is as follows;

You check it yourself by swearing under your breath while collecting the necessary items you'll need
Lining up the rear tire's air valve by pushing the bike forward
Checking the position of the valve
Swear
Push the bike forward again and rechecking the position of the valve
Swear a little louder with more colorful words my Nurse wife taught me.
Then rolling the bike slightly backwards to get the valve at bottom dead center
Slam both knees on the ground making sure to have some gravel underneath them
Swearing again, loud enough that the neighbors can hear me
Then flopping over on one side and threading the tire gauge's hose through the disk brake and proceed to get your hands and shirt sleeve dirty while unscrewing the cap.
Next you actually attempt to get a reading while letting out some air inadvertantly, then swear some more.
Fill with air to replace the air that escaped earlier.

After that, you look around to make sure nobody's looking, and then you slowly struggle to get back upright while your knees are screaming at you.

Then you go in the house, change your shirt, wash your hands, brush off the dirt on your knees and take an Advil.

That's my routine for my Vision, and I imagine it wouldn't vary much for the Indian.

Been there done that. I now pull the bikes into my business garage and do all but get on my knees. I lay on a creeper and at least keep my cloths clean.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Right angle stems, unless they are installed with the proper support piece, tend to flex and crack near the wheel causing leaks and possibly even a bad situation while riding. I'll gladly lay on the ground in may garage to check the pressure in my rear tire on my XR and did the same on my KP. Gives me a reason to look around for any other issues I may not see.

I suspect that checking tire pressure or the need to adjust tire pressure was/is not near the very top of bike designing.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Stems on the spoke wheels are well placed and angled out.
The rear stem can actually be reached from behind the bike on one knee.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
1317 said:
Stems on the spoke wheels are well placed and angled out.
The rear stem can actually be reached from behind the bike on one knee.

I learned something today!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The easy way is put up on jack turn wheel to where you need it and check/fill doesn't everybody do it this way
Regards

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
2 said:
I'm wondering just how easy will it be to check the rear tire pressure?

Thoughts?
Very easy to check and add air... I drive by Andy's, buy the tech lunch and have him check it :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
14125 said:
am i the only one that still pullls up to the full service pumps ?
Where the heck do you still find full service pumps? Havent seen those since I was a kid :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
4360 said:
I keep a handy little stool right by the bike to make the front a breeze to check but otherwise my procedure for the rear looks sadly familiar to yours!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts