Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I almost went down the same path as I did with the 116 kit and de cat my bikes rear exhaust pipe, until I was about to get it fitted only to listen to a bike at the dealership in Sydney that had the decat and cams with the high flow filter as mine has. It was so loud I knew if I did it ,that it would not be long before being defected for noise . A mate got pulled over on his Harley this week the Highway Patrol guys went all over his bike for exhaust ,ape hangers and filters they told him they are doing blitz on bikes up to December . The thing they did and was incorrect, was doing the noise check on the road side even through they went to the trouble of setting the mic at the required 45 degree angle and less than a meter away from the bike . But the law says it should be done in an open area where there are no buildings for the noise of the exhaust to bounce off. I told him to take them to court over the noise level check . But his bike has no cat so he ,is going to have to cop it although, he has to now go to the hassle of getting new exhaust that complies, change his handle bars from the Ape hangers to handle bars that also comply. Funny he has a open filter like mine and they did not worry about that too much ,but mentioned the EPA would want that changed to a covered filter due to emissions and noise induction . OMG I must have had someone looking over my shoulder before I put the exhaust with the de cat on and was telling me to leave the bike as it is. Thanks god I did not go ahead with it so now if I get pulled over they can look as hard as they like. I don't know how you guys in the USA get away with the noise levels by doing the decat and then put louder slip on pipes on your bikes. But I understand a lot of the time we all take a chance and deal with it if anything happens.End of rant for today lol.The sad thing is all the defects are recorded and once he gets them to comply and has them cleared they note all the fixed areas and take photos of the pipes etc and log that against the registration of the bike so the police only need to pull your details up on the police cars commuter if you changed it back to what you had then the fines increase and possible cancellation of your registration . The police don't even have to stop you ,just by driving past and checking your bike against their computer is enough to either be pulled over or have defect notice sent too you asking for you to present you bike for an inspection.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Noise-wise, I wish I had my catalytic converter still in place....

But, heat-wise it rocks. Absolutely no heat on my legs, even in hot temps.

Glad you didn't do something you regretted.

·
Vendor / bronze
2,847 Posts
Wow. Tough laws down under. Sorry you guys can't mod with freedom. It is slowly changing here in the states also. But I think we will all ride electric bikes before it gets as bad as you have it.

·
Bronze member
3,050 Posts
well we do have groups like the AMA and ABATE.. they watch laws on motorcycling and fight to protect our rights... I have a feeling without groups like this for a number of things we would be just like you... our political leaders think they are our bosses.... and the new generation likes it that way... but we are the bosses... we hire them to work for us.. and these advocacy groups are our watchdogs

Reactions: Geoff-3

·
Registered
671 Posts
I almost went down the same path as I did with the 116 kit and de cat my bikes rear exhaust pipe, until I was about to get it fitted only to listen to a bike at the dealership in Sydney that had the decat and cams with the high flow filter as mine has. It was so loud I knew if I did it ,that it would not be long before being defected for noise . A mate got pulled over on his Harley this week the Highway Patrol guys went all over his bike for exhaust ,ape hangers and filters they told him they are doing blitz on bikes up to December . The thing they did and was incorrect, was doing the noise check on the road side even through they went to the trouble of setting the mic at the required 45 degree angle and less than a meter away from the bike . But the law says it should be done in an open area where there are no buildings for the noise of the exhaust to bounce off. I told him to take them to court over the noise level check . But his bike has no cat so he ,is going to have to cop it although, he has to now go to the hassle of getting new exhaust that complies, change his handle bars from the Ape hangers to handle bars that also comply. Funny he has a open filter like mine and they did not worry about that too much ,but mentioned the EPA would want that changed to a covered filter due to emissions and noise induction . OMG I must have had someone looking over my shoulder before I put the exhaust with the de cat on and was telling me to leave the bike as it is. Thanks god I did not go ahead with it so now if I get pulled over they can look as hard as they like. I don't know how you guys in the USA get away with the noise levels by doing the decat and then put louder slip on pipes on your bikes. But I understand a lot of the time we all take a chance and deal with it if anything happens.End of rant for today lol.The sad thing is all the defects are recorded and once he gets them to comply and has them cleared they note all the fixed areas and take photos of the pipes etc and log that against the registration of the bike so the police only need to pull your details up on the police cars commuter if you changed it back to what you had then the fines increase and possible cancellation of your registration . The police don't even have to stop you ,just by driving past and checking your bike against their computer is enough to either be pulled over or have defect notice sent too you asking for you to present you bike for an inspection.
Geoff seems the Newcastle area is as anal as it’s inhabitants. We have absolutely no such issues here in South Coast NSW with cops noise EPA or anything related - period

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Noise-wise, I wish I had my catalytic converter still in place....

But, heat-wise it rocks. Absolutely no heat on my legs, even in hot temps.

Glad you didn't do something you regretted.
Geoff seems the Newcastle area is as anal as it’s inhabitants. We have absolutely no such issues here in South Coast NSW with cops noise EPA or anything related - period
I would agree I don't think you are correct with the remark regarding the inhabitants lol ,but I think the main issue is that we have 3 major motor bike, bikie groups in the area and they have been pursuing them over the last year. The amount of increased random road side breath and drug test in the area with a minimum of 4 to 5 police cars at each one of them, has been on the increase. Most likely for the same reason I mentioned. The sad thing is the poor guys riding Harleys seem to be the ones they look at first, mainly because in most cases their bikes tend to be the loudest and the other reason is that the preferred bike of bikes groups I dare say. Does not meant that all bikers are the same or bikies even if you ride a Harley. But !!! it has that image most of the public seem to think of. I guess you might be right about me being anal about the noise level of my bike because of this . Go back a few years, I would not have cared one bit and might have got away with it too. I have a lot of mates in the Police force and ride with a few of them as well. In fact I go to the Police Wall to Wall remembrance ride every year that is held in September each year, most of the guys have Harleys that are loud .So once again that little badge if your are a serving member or a past members carries a bit of influence once presented. I would say that the Newcastle and the Hunter areas are getting more enforcement than they would normally have had in past years .Then again if you remember a few years ago Queensland police etc. were doing the same thing to anyone who rode and motor bike or wore a patch on their back, that was also bikie related but everyone was a target. No use being worried about it ,but you don't have to if your bike is legal and your doing the right thing . I try not to ride in the city any more and stick to country roads mostly anyway.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I would agree I don't think you are correct with the remark regarding the inhabitants lol ,but I think the main issue is that we have 3 major motor bike, bikie groups in the area and they have been pursuing them over the last year. The amount of increased radon road side breath and drug test in the area with a minimum of 4 to 5 police cars has been on the increase. Most likely for the same reason I mentioned. The sad thing is the poor guys riding Harleys seem to be the ones they look at first, mainly because in most cases their bikes tend to be the loudest and the other the preferred bike if bikies I guess. Does not meant that all bikers are the same even if you ride a Harley ,but it has that image from most . I am anal about the noise level of my bike because of this ,a few years back I would not have cared one bit and might have got away with it too. I have a lot of mates in the Police force and ride with a few of them as well. In fact I go to the Police Wall to Wall remembrance ride every year that is held in September and most of the guys have Harleys that are loud .So once again that little badge id your are a serving member or a past members carries a bit of influence . I would say that the Newcastle and the Hunter areas are getting more enforcement than they would normally have had in past years .Then again if you remember a few years ago Queensland police were doing the same thing to anyone who ride and motor bike or wore a patch on their back, that was also bikie related but everyone was a target. No use being worried about it ,but you don't have to if your bike is legal and your doing the right thing . I try not to ride in the city any more and stick to country roads mostly anyway.
Yes by inhabitants I was mainly referring to the inhabitant constabulary

·
Bronze member
4,698 Posts
I've not had any inspection from the police in the ten years I've lived in Newcastle, but my bike was decatted for the first half of this year and the noise was so bad I swapped back to a catted header. I'm sure that would have been defected had it been inspected.

When I was living out at Bathurst the EPA got it into it's collective head that aftermarket pipes on motorcycles were bad and should be outlawed. They got the pollies to legislate that all bike exhaust systems need to be marked as being made for that bike, and have a dB rating shown. So the police got the job of checking bikes for the sticker.

Trouble was, nobody knew anything about how the sticker was supposed to get itself on the pipes, or even where the sticker was to come from. Like unicorns, they just didn't exist. Nevertheless, the coppers started blitzing bikes out west of the mountains to check for the stickers.

Then the Motorcycle Riders Association decided to make the stickers. They were sticky-back metal foil with blank areas to engrave bike brand the dB level on. They sold them for $5 posted. We could buy the sticker, engrave it ourselves, and suddenly the bikes pipes were legal.

My bike at the time was a 1981 GS1000G and the exhaust system was home made and very basic. However, once I engraved that sticker it became sweet as cherry pie. :)

Here's the bike at the time with the ridiculously tiny muffler, and the sticker that saved the day.

upload_2019-8-16_15-19-49.png

upload_2019-8-16_15-20-5.png

Fortunately for riders across the state, various rider groups and associations managed to get the pollies to see sense and the whole legislation was rescinded after about two years.

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dr.Shifty (Kim) a mate got done this week and was told to tell his mates lol that they the Police and EPA will be doing the blitz in Newcastle Hunter till Christmas , they went all over his bike and measure so many things including his Ape Hangers to see if they were within what they thought was the legal limit. They still will catch so many guys with the way they do the noise testing if they do it the way they did his on the side of the road with car passing and buildings around fore the noise to bounce off. I told him about the way they are suppose to conduct that test but he like so many has de catted his bikes exhaust. If you remember I did too until I heard it and found out it was idling at 114 db so if the authorities did the testing at 2,400 rpm or close to that I hate to think what it would have been . So like you as we spoke about I ended up replacing the rear header with one that had the cat. I am so glade I did I stay away from the city as much as I can anyway and then again sometimes you can be unlucky ,also it has a lot to do with attitude of the rider and the police person at the time. I still have your DB meter so will have to catch up for a coffee again soon.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
That's why I went with the American Custom bomber mufflers...since they re-use the stock pipes, they still have the EPA compliant manufacturer's engraving on them...

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's why I went with the American Custom bomber mufflers...since they re-use the stock pipes, they still have the EPA compliant manufacturer's engraving on them...
Funny that you mentioned the engraving, it is the very reason I stuck with the Indian slip ons and tips because they have the brand engraved on the sides I also left the bung plug inside the mufflers as the police here sometimes carry a long rod wo stick inside the pipes to check if you have taken baffles out etc.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Funny that you mentioned the engraving, it is the very reason I stuck with the Indian slip ons and tips because they have the brand engraved on the sides I also left the bung plug inside the mufflers as the police here sometimes carry a long rod wo stick inside the pipes to check if you have taken baffles out etc.
Wow!
Do they carry latex gloves and check your bung?
Time to move. C'mon over. Got some nice roads!

·
German Rider
1,096 Posts
..... and I thought, in germany there were police nazi's. Glad that my Roadmaster ist stock and the German registration is labeled 98 dB at 3375 RPM.

Cu,
Sven

·
Bronze member
4,698 Posts
..... and I thought, in germany there were police nazi's. Glad that my Roadmaster ist stock and the German registration is labeled 98 dB at 3375 RPM.

Cu,
Sven
You are allowed more noise than we are here in Oz. It's 100 dB for bikes built before about 1990, built since then it's 95 dB for bikes and I think 90 for cars.

·
Bronze member
4,698 Posts
Dr.Shifty (Kim) a mate got done this week and was told to tell his mates lol that they the Police and EPA will be doing the blitz in Newcastle Hunter till Christmas .

I still have your DB meter so will have to catch up for a coffee again soon.
These blitzes are a waste of time and resources, and running for four or five months makes it a worse waste. I wonder how my HD mates with their seriously loud pipes are getting on.

And yep, we need a coffee stop again soon.

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
These blitzes are a waste of time and resources, and running for four or five months makes it a worse waste. I wonder how my HD mates with their seriously loud pipes are getting on.

And yep, we need a coffee stop again soon.
I feel so sorry for any Harley riders , I don't like them but respect the bike and its looks .Just I would never buy one. But the truth is they seem to get the rough end of the stick with law enforcement just because they are a Harley. Not all Harley riders are bad after all.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts