Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is killing me - I am so close to closing on a Roadmaster (Black on black 2017 low miles) - three potential deals on used bikes working across the great country - Florida, California and Alabama. I am in Iowa.

I am passing on the 2016 because the cost btwn that and a 2017 is so close - less than $1K in most cases for similar bikes and the display seems to be first class. Any thoughts on this as a decision point for buying?

Your thoughts welcomed please...

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
You might want to talk to an Indian dealer. I know that mine here in SE Tennessee, Crockett Powersports, works with dealers in 22 states - exchanging inventory lists, shipping bikes back and forth to meet customer's needs. They have shipped both new and used depending on need. Never know, might be a leftover out there somewhere.

So you might find a dealer with knowledge of some other dealer who has the RM of your dreams. Better than fighting Cycle Trader.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK - so that is a pretty dammed good idea. Then I might not have to fly to CA or FL to buy the bike - I can let the Crockett Powersports folks deal with all that stuff- and they take their bit of money in the middle for doing what they are good at right?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I'm not sure how they take cuts, they may just split the difference between wholesale and retail between the dealers.
I don't know about other dealers, but Crockett is known for being a great dealer who takes care of their customers and gives them pretty good deals.

As Cayce Crockett told me once, they have all these dealers so they can offer their customers bikes beyond the dealerships. In other words, not many dealers can put every option of every bike on the floor. And when you extend that to used, it gets way out of hand. So a network for them is the way to expand their business without the ridiculous overhead of say a Wow Motorcycles which is in Atlanta, and always has over 100 bikes on the floor. I've not heard anything about bikes from other places being overpriced, so some splitting must occur. And I know that at least on Crockett's end, they want to know that what they will sell from another dealer will be exactly what the other dealer portrayed it as - so many inspections are in order.

·
Registered
587 Posts
RidingTheFarmOut,

Welcome to the forum.

From your user name, can I assume you are an REO fan? LOL
I like the user name by the way.

My advice from my experience to you is, dont press, meaning dont buy it unless it is what you want.
Take your time, the right deal and right machine will come along, but it could take time.
You dont want to end up settling......

Good luck with your quest, I think the searching is part of the fun.

4T

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Welcome to the forum and hopefully the tribe soon. When I got serious, I (like you) joined the forum and did some research as well as drove to dealers in various parts of FL and up the Savannah, GA. I took about a year to actually buy. Before closing a deal, ensure you are getting quoted "out the door" figures as there are a few that attempt to throw a low price out there and slam you with ridiculous fees. I got a 17 RM (new) in May 2018. Between the trade offer, base price and fees, I got my best deal at Indian of Panama City Beach. Beat my local dealer by almost $3000.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is great advice - y'all. I am pleased that I stopped to drop a line and connect in this forum. And I am dying - just dying to get on a bike - and specifically and Indian. There is something about them...

PS - did you know all of them are made/assembled in Spirit Lake Iowa - not for from where I live - made in the USA (at least assembled).

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
PS - did you know all of them are made/assembled in Spirit Lake Iowa - not for from where I live - made in the USA (at least assembled).
Which must make it all the worse since you probably see more in your neighborhood than a lot of us!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anyone care to comment on how important color is?

I am stuck on 2017 Roadmasters - the Thunder Black and Grey vs the Black on Black - both are cool as hell - just don't know which way to go - thank God above that there are so many bikes to choose from (go internet and Cycle Trader - I am old enough to remember looking in the newspaper! yes! newspaper 'classifieds'.)

Let me know what you think about choosing colors please - black or black/grey or other thoughts you have please.

:D

·
Bronze member
1,589 Posts
Both colors are really good, don't think you could go wrong with either. I like my 2017. Get the one that looks best on paper, from the owner that sounds most knowledgeable, friendly that seems the most trustworthy. A buck here or there on a bad deal doesn't make it any better. Call around closer to your neck of the woods, you might find a dealer that is hungry to sell. However a ride cross country would be a blast, cheers.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Just remember that 40% of cars and bikes, new and used, are bought on color. My wife and I actually had a very rare disagreement when we went in to buy our RM - he had the one I bought, two-tone blue and cream, and one of those diamond blue ones. Otherwise identical bikes, even both with same leather color seats. She loved the diamond blue, I really wanted the two-tone.
After a "spirited" discussion, I finally pointed out that two-tone bikes usually bring slightly better resale values and are easier to resell, and she relented.

The diamond blue one ended up sitting on his floor for another two-three months, and he finally discounted it to get it off the showroom. I don't think the color has shown up again. Remember this was back in 2016.

·
Bronze member
1,148 Posts
I'd personally go with the Black & Grey.

IMHO, the color contrast would make her stand out even more. :)

·
Bronze member
1,589 Posts
Anyone care to comment on how important color is?

I am stuck on 2017 Roadmasters - the Thunder Black and Grey vs the Black on Black - both are cool as hell - just don't know which way to go - thank God above that there are so many bikes to choose from (go internet and Cycle Trader - I am old enough to remember looking in the newspaper! yes! newspaper 'classifieds'.)

Let me know what you think about choosing colors please - black or black/grey or other thoughts you have please.

:D

Any update, did you buy a bike?

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
Welcome the 2017 is better with the ride command so great choice also they have some great pricing on the 2018 run out models , who knows with a bit of wheeling and dealing you might be able to stage a great deal on brand new 2018.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I agree. Buy the black and gray....
Personally, although the color is beautiful, I have trouble buying any motorcycle that even remotely resembles the color of asphalt. This color blends in too much with the road. Some of the dark military green colors they have come up with recently also come into that category.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts