Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2.5 mile daily commute to work, half gravel and half twisting asphalt. I would like to ride as often as possible this winter. Are there any ice and snow tire options that anyone has trie? Or modification to a tire I could try? The gravel is usually packed snow all winter and the asphalt is plowed but sometimes ice covered.

·
Bronze member
2,548 Posts
Almost all the hardware in the ftr is non stainless and corrodes very easy.

Driving it on salty roads will ruin the bike.

Also no, you would need studded tires. And using studded tires when there isn’t a thick covering of ice is dangerous on a bike.

I run studded ice tires on my ktm in the winter. Would never put them on a street bike for road use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
491 Posts
I have a couple friends that have ridden motorcycles throughout the winter and I would not advise it. Ferraiolo1 is correct, motorcycles are quite prone to corrosion when introduced to road salt. If you are dedicated to winter riding, definitely do your research on proper tires. Everyone I know who winter rides has crash stories about it.

You could always buy a Ural with a sidecar to have a more stable platform that still slides around a lot.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts