Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was wanting to find pictures of a smoke color windshield on a Springfield, it was difficult, though some of you fine folks here helped out. Pulled the trigger on a medium smoke windshield from Freedom Shields, it is 14" tall with the flip up edge at the top. Installation was pretty easy, hardest part was cleaning all the bug guts from under the original chrome mounting brackets on the front of the shield. This color came very close to matching the Indian smoke colored lower air deflectors. Would not recommend going much darker on the windshield. I like the fact that there is no more issues with buffeting of my helmet at highway speeds, you judge for yourself at what speeds, but with your head dancing around it made for sore neck muscles. Should be a lot better on longer rides now. Hope these pictures help others that may want to go with a tinted windshield on your Springfield.
IMG_6588.JPG
IMG_6587.JPG

·
Registered
968 Posts
Looks good. Just one question, do you plan on trying the shield without the lower wind deflectors, I'd be curious to know if the deflectors are still needed.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks good. Just one question, do you plan on trying the shield without the lower wind deflectors, I'd be curious to know if the deflectors are still needed.
At some point in the next month I will, as it would be good feedback for the group. As of now, I will leave them on for our trip to Spirit Lake, IA. next week, our riders group chapter will be taking a tour of the Indian Assembly Plant on the 17th. Thanks for asking a good question.

·
Registered
19 Posts
How tall are you? I am 6' and cannot decide between the 14" or 16". I like to look over the Shield and am worried the 16" might be a little tall.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How tall are you? I am 6' and cannot decide between the 14" or 16". I like to look over the Shield and am worried the 16" might be a little tall.
I am 6 ft. tall, with the stock 15" windshield I had plenty of sight area over the top of the windshield, really like the 14" Freedom Shield, give more room to see over the top, I would guess about chin level is where the new one is. Went with the 14" over the 16", for a couple of reasons, one is that I too like looking over the top of the windshield. The other one was the look of the bike, I think that the 14" is a compliment, instead of a sail up high in the air, which I thought the 16" would look like. Your opinion may vary.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I also currently have the stock 15" and the Indian Lowers. My plan is to get the 14" Freedom and Freedom Lowers. I just wanted some reassurance that I would still get good buffeting protection at my height with the 14".

·
Vendor / bronze
2,725 Posts
I sell the Freedom Shield recurve windshields. Most people don't need the lowers. The FS is a little wider and with the recurve it seems to handle the air very well. A few people add and like the lowers of course. So I recommend getting a recurve shield and try it first before buying lowers.

·
Registered
968 Posts
At some point in the next month I will, as it would be good feedback for the group. As of now, I will leave them on for our trip to Spirit Lake, IA. next week, our riders group chapter will be taking a tour of the Indian Assembly Plant on the 17th. Thanks for asking a good question.
Thanks for the reply. Good luck on your trip next week.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I sell the Freedom Shield recurve windshields. Most people don't need the lowers. The FS is a little wider and with the recurve it seems to handle the air very well. A few people add and like the lowers of course. So I recommend getting a recurve shield and try it first before buying lowers.
Marcus, do you sell the quick disconnect hardware a long with the freedom Shield recurve for the Chief Dark Horse?

·
Bronze member
1,148 Posts
By the comments I'm reading here, I'd guess I'd need the 12" being that I'm 5'8".

Quick update. I just measured as per the instructions on the Freedom website. Looks like the 14" would possibly work for me as well.

·
Vendor / bronze
2,725 Posts
Yes. At www.IndianAftertmarket.com we sell a black mounting frame for windshields for the Scouts and the Chiefs including Dark Horse. We are also a dealer for Freedom Shield. So you can order both from us. Or you can just order a frame and buy any shield you want. Our frames come complete with hardware. We also offer black trim package for the fromt of the shield.LINK: http://www.indianaftermarket.com/chief-shield-and-frame.html
IMG_6872.jpeg
IMG_6875.jpeg
IMG_6867.jpeg

·
Registered
257 Posts
That's the bracket I ordered. Marcus I have the Springfield driving lights coming. The brackets will still fit.?

·
Registered
369 Posts
By the comments I'm reading here, I'd guess I'd need the 12" being that I'm 5'8".

Quick update. I just measured as per the instructions on the Freedom website. Looks like the 14" would possibly work for me as well.
Where do you find the instructions? I am 5'6" and interested in finding the proper size for me. Thanks!

·
Bronze member
1,148 Posts
On the website where you place your order, they tell you how to measure the height of the windshield as compared to your line of sight.

==========================================================

Choosing a Size
• To look over the shield, the ideal height is where the top edge of the shield is level with the tip of your nose. This gives you about 2” to see over the top of the shield when looking straight ahead and with this height the wind will clear the top of your head for a comfortable and quiet ride.
• To look through the shield, the ideal height is where the top edge of the shield is about 2-3″ above your line of sight. This gives you the most comfort and protection, but when it rains and the shield gets dirty it gets harder to see through the shield.
• The shield is measured in the center from the top of the headlight cutout on the windshield up to the top edge
• To help determine which size shield you need, here are a couple ways to test:
– If you have a taller stock shield on your bike, you can place a piece of Blue Painters Masking Tape on your shield with the top edge of the tape at different heights and take a short ride to get settled into your normal riding position to make sure you can see over the tape by about 2″ looking straight ahead down the road.
– If you have a shorter stock shield on your bike, you can tape different size pieces of cardboard on your shield with Blue Painters Masking Tape and take a slow ride to get settled into our normal riding position to check the size.

·
Vendor / bronze
2,725 Posts
The shields fit with the driving lights. Here is a guide from our website to help with sizing. Freedom Shields have a slight up turn on the top of the windshield. This helps kick the wind up and over your head allowing you to use a slightly shorter windshield. They are made of Plexiglas and are more resistant to scraches compared to polycarbonite. Also the edges are polished and look more finished than polycarbonite. Call for help with sizing. 954-247-1450 Generally speaking 12" is good for 5"-8" and under, 14" is good for 5'-9"-5'-10, 16" is good for 5'-11"-6'-1", and the 16" is good for over 6'-1" Prices start at $169.95 plus $39.95 shipping. These are for Indian Chief bikes.

·
Registered
369 Posts
The shields fit with the driving lights. Here is a guide from our website to help with sizing. Freedom Shields have a slight up turn on the top of the windshield. This helps kick the wind up and over your head allowing you to use a slightly shorter windshield. They are made of Plexiglas and are more resistant to scraches compared to polycarbonite. Also the edges are polished and look more finished than polycarbonite. Call for help with sizing. 954-247-1450 Generally speaking 12" is good for 5"-8" and under, 14" is good for 5'-9"-5'-10, 16" is good for 5'-11"-6'-1", and the 16" is good for over 6'-1" Prices start at $169.95 plus $39.95 shipping. These are for Indian Chief bikes.
Marcus, I have an indian Chief dark horse with driving lights, what parts do I need to order if I want to add a windshield?

·
Vendor / bronze
2,725 Posts
You can order the Chief frame $269.95 plus shipping. All hardware is included. The shields are also available on the same page. Read about sizes and select the size and tint you want. (I like the light grey tint.) We have added an option that about half of our customers get. It is a trim package for $34.95 It is only for looks and is not required. LINK: http://www.indianaftermarket.com/chief-shield-and-frame.html So you need to order the shield and the frame (and trim only if you like the extra black look). If need help you can call me at 954-247-1450

1 - 20 of 26 Posts