Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I smelled coolant but I never saw where any ever hit the ground, was never able to find a leak, coolant never ran low. Then one day I changed the tune on my bike and in about 10 minutes she was spewing oil and coolant (nice chocolate milk mixture) everywhere. Was told it was coming from base gasket #2. Took it to the dealership and now they say "its not the head gasket" so we are going to look elsewhere. They said there was oil in my radiator and overflow tank but I checked the day of the "blow up" and there was no oil in the radiator. It has been sitting for just over a month waiting to get fixed. Any ideas as to what the hell is going on??? At this point the dealership says they aren't sure where the leak or issue happened.

At my wits end because I had to refinance the bike just to get the main gaskets all replaced... no idea what the final tally is going to be or where i'm gonna find those funds!

·
Rider
944 Posts
IF there is oil in the radiator then the leak is at a common point where oil and coolant is located. You say it was a chocolate mess. That is an indicator that oil and antifreeze are mixing.

When it blew up as you state you must have looked for a point of origin, where did it seem to be coming from? Did you take pictures?

·
Registered
309 Posts
How old is the bike? Is it not a warranty claim? Which motor or bike have you got?
Strange having oil in radiator, maybee better than water in engine oil because that is a head problem. Either way sounds like a head issue.
Stay calm there are some members here that have a lot of Indian mechanical knowledge.
Good luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
IF there is oil in the radiator then the leak is at a common point where oil and coolant is located. You say it was a chocolate mess. That is an indicator that oil and antifreeze are mixing.

When it blew up as you state you must have looked for a point of origin, where did it seem to be coming from? Did you take pictures?
We couldn't tell because there was so much everywhere ( I had to ride very cautiously to the gas station about a mile up the road. We thought it was at the base. One mechanic said "yes its leaking at base gasket 2" but the dealership, their exact words were "its not the head gasket" so I was a little confused because I never thought it was the head gasket. Unless in mechanic terms the actual head gasket and base gasket are just called the same thing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How old is the bike? Is it not a warranty claim? Which motor or bike have you got?
Strange having oil in radiator, maybee better than water in engine oil because that is a head problem. Either way sounds like a head issue.
Stay calm there are some members here that have a lot of Indian mechanical knowledge.
Good luck
Its a 2016. I bought it in July of last year with 500 miles on it. Unfortunately its out of warranty. The thing is I checked the radiator and there was no oil (at the time) in there. So I don't know if it seeped in after the fact?

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
Two things come to mind for me, both related to the age and mileage on the bike. 3 years old and only 500 miles when you bought it. It sounds like it was sitting for years.

The first thing is corrosion from oxidising coolant that has taken out either some casing metal and allowed coolant and oil to mix or corroded the lower gasket. Neither are common but both are possibilities.

The second thing is head bolts that should have been checked at the 500 mile service. Insufficiently torqued head bolts can mean that the barrel lifts from the crankcase with the new piston scraping the cylinder. I've once ridden a brand new bike where this happened. It was a hire bike when touring in Vietnam and within days it had oil seeping from the lower gasket. Because it was air cooled there was no coolant to worry about and it was only a matter of tightening up the head bolts.

I hope they get it sorted and back on the road without too much cost.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I suspect the seal(s) behind the waterpump.
Well $2000 dollars later... they replaced every seal on the bike, said that the oil cooler had gone bad and caused the breakdown of the gaskets. They said they found oil in the radiator and overflow tank (I never did but maybe it took a while for it all to rise to the top).

Happy to have my bike back. They guys that did the work were pretty understanding and good to work with however, the wife noticed a bolt hanging on by a thread, it was the bolt that goes through the frame and has a clip on the back that holds the rear brake line in place (just under the exhaust). It is apparently missing a nut that holds it all together. Also now my horn doesn't work. Disappointed to say the least that I either have to make a 4 hour round trip to have them fix 2 minor issues or fix it myself but then it ticks me off because I shouldn't have to. They were unable to Dyno tune the bike as they didn't have the knowledge and/or software to needed. They can only tune a bike that has a power commander 5 because its a direct tune. I have the more expensive, more versatile PowerVision 3 that per DynoJet tech support can absolutely be used to tune the bike using a Dyno machine, hold the tune and send it directly to your bike and flash your ECU. Yet another huge disappointment but I guess that's why they only charged $250 and all the shops in my hometown charge over $400. Positive note, I did discover that I can record with the PV3 download that file and send it in to DynoJet and they can fine tune it and send it back to me all for under $100!

·
Silver member
5,505 Posts
Well $2000 dollars later... they replaced every seal on the bike, said that the oil cooler had gone bad and caused the breakdown of the gaskets. They said they found oil in the radiator and overflow tank (I never did but maybe it took a while for it all to rise to the top).
A typical sign of failed waterpump seal(s).

I don’t buy the oil cooler gone bad story. Does it actually have one?

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,412 Posts
I din't think the Scout has an oil cooler. Oil in the coolant could indicate a blown head gasket.

·
Bronze member
2,011 Posts
I think they might consider the oil filter mount a cooler. Seems like I saw that said.

Ahh yes. I checked parts and sure enough it is listed as an oil cooler.

EDIT
OK I have to plead ignorance on this. I removed the rest I said because of guessing what I didn’t know about.

Sure enough the coolant runs through the oil filter mount a.k.a. oil cooler.
There’s a short thin hose connected to it going to the left bottom of the radiator. Another hose connects up to the thermostat housing.

Gee... aren’t water cooled bikes fascinating!

Reactions: Max Kool

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A typical sign of failed waterpump seal(s).

I don’t buy the oil cooler gone bad story. Does it actually have one?
It does have one, $145 part to boot... more awesome news... haven't rode the damn thing since the day after I brought it home (Sunday) went to get it out last night (Wednesday) noticed the coolant overflow tank that was intentionally overfilled is empty AND the oil level is beyond low. The bottom of the bike is covered in oil. It is flung up everywhere which means the almost 2 hour ride home from the shop this thing had to be leaking oil as its nothing more than a straight 70mph highway ride. At this point its hard to tell but it appears to be leaking from the stator badge unless that's just where it was blowing up and gathering at the most. Also in the midst of crawling around on the floor to try to find the leak I discovered 2 more bolts and clips for the rear brake line that are freaking missing, so that's 3 total now. Either they did not put them back on and just forgot or they forgot to tighten them down. Absolutely furious.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sounds like my current nightmare at the moment. Just finished cleaning the bottom of the bike of oil. Retorqued all bolts on the stator cover to 88 in lb. Applied a bit of RTV red gasket to the gap by the stator plug. For Sanity, retorque the drain plugs and they were torqued properly and then tightened the oil filter a bit more - but the oil mess really seams to be focussed by the kick stand indicating the stator plug.

When i looked under today there was so much oil crude everywhere. Tomorrow I am going to fill some more oil and fire it up after the RTV has had 24 hours to dry. But my main problem is that i am worried I have internal engine damage, as I noticed this when riding and the low oil light came on briefly, and at an idle it sounded like I had marbles all of a sudden, which disappeared when I had to get the bike moving.

Got home and parked the thing, and now waiting for an appointment on the 19 of September for them to potentially diagnose it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sounds like my current nightmare at the moment. Just finished cleaning the bottom of the bike of oil. Retorqued all bolts on the stator cover to 88 in lb. Applied a bit of RTV red gasket to the gap by the stator plug. For Sanity, retorque the drain plugs and they were torqued properly and then tightened the oil filter a bit more - but the oil mess really seams to be focussed by the kick stand indicating the stator plug.

When i looked under today there was so much oil crude everywhere. Tomorrow I am going to fill some more oil and fire it up after the RTV has had 24 hours to dry. But my main problem is that i am worried I have internal engine damage, as I noticed this when riding and the low oil light came on briefly, and at an idle it sounded like I had marbles all of a sudden, which disappeared when I had to get the bike moving.

Got home and parked the thing, and now waiting for an appointment on the 19 of September for them to potentially diagnose it.
Check under the bike where the filter attaches to the oil cooler. The oil on my bike gathered around the stator badge and I thought that's where the leak was. After cleaning the whole engine and rechecking it, there was a drip coming from the oil cooler (that they just replaced). Could be the spigot (where the filter attaches to the cooler) or the o-ring that butts up to the engine block. Have to take it back sometime this week to have it looked at again. Hopefully it will all be warrantied work and I won't owe a freaking penny as this literally happened on the drive home from the shop!

·
Silver member
4,677 Posts
Check under the bike where the filter attaches to the oil cooler. The oil on my bike gathered around the stator badge and I thought that's where the leak was. After cleaning the whole engine and rechecking it, there was a drip coming from the oil cooler (that they just replaced). Could be the spigot (where the filter attaches to the cooler) or the o-ring that butts up to the engine block. Have to take it back sometime this week to have it looked at again. Hopefully it will all be warrantied work and I won't owe a freaking penny as this literally happened on the drive home from the shop!
I would make them pick it up and trailer it in. For the price they charged you, it should be perfect.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would make them pick it up and trailer it in. For the price they charged you, it should be perfect.
Considering to drop the bike off its almost a 2 hour drive there, 2 hours back then another 4 hour round trip to pick up the bike, you are right on the money! I should have especially after all the missing rear brake line clamps, nuts and bolts, the cracked exhaust mount on my custom dirty bird $1000 exhaust and the chipped chrome on the exhaust as they had it installed plain as day wrong, the swingarm sitting cockeyed and being able to move it side to side which is because they over tightened the nut on the swingarm which is where my exhaust mounts to which explains the broken mount. I'm telling you, they seem like good people but this has been one big ass disappointment in the quality of workmanship that was done. Now they did say they would "make it right" but that's if they own up to all the mistakes they made, fix them and don't charge me a dime for it!

·
Silver member
4,677 Posts
Now they did say they would "make it right" but that's if they own up to all the mistakes they made, fix them and don't charge me a dime for it!
Hopefully they will. Problems do happen, but it is how it is handled that makes all the difference.

It is upsetting when I hear about the bad quality installs of the other components. Their overall workmanship is suspect.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hopefully they will. Problems do happen, but it is how it is handled that makes all the difference.

It is upsetting when I hear about the bad quality installs of the other components. Their overall workmanship is suspect.
Well after taking the bike back the tech was very apologetic. He asked us to point out everything that was an issue. We walked him through everything and he again apologized and said thats not the standard of work they are known for. They took care of everything, including painting the chips out of my chrome heat shields for my exhaust that they scratched and dinged up and welded the mounting bracket back on as well. The oil leak was discovered to be the "pipe plug from factory" and they resealed it. It literally sits right behind the oil cooler, so that does explain why the oil drip was gathering there. They had all of this done by the next day of us dropping it off to them and at no cost to us.

I will say all in all i was very disappointed that the bike, even after they did a 12 mile test ride, was given to me in that condition and that I was so excited to have it back that I did not take the time to really check it myself before leaving the shop the first time. I should have looked it over while there and thats on me. However, the willingness of them to correct their mistakes and fix it at no charge to us and so quickly has changed my opinion for the most part. Now we will just have to see what it looks like after I go get it this weekend. I will be sure to check everything over before leaving the lot this time!

·
Registered
257 Posts
I am afraid to ask the dealers name. Maybe I missed it in the post and I understand if you don't want to throw it out there for all the world to see.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts