Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With my thanks to web BikeWorld for their hard work in securing these figures.► 2013 U.S. Motorcycle Sales Totals

February 4, 2014 - Exactly one year ago today, we reported on total U.S. motorcycle sales for 2012. Reliable motorcycle sales figures for various countries are very difficult to find and the brands that are included can change from year to year, making long-term comparisons difficult. Our sources have provided reports on 2013 numbers and we brought our graph (below) up to date. This ends one webBikeWorld cycle of motorcycle sales reports and starts a new one for 2014.

Reports indicate that 2013 U.S. motorcycle sales were up slightly by 1.4% in 2013 at 458,972 compared to the 2012 total of 452,386 (includes street, off-road, dual-sport and scooter sales).

This is a very mild increase and the overall sales totals are still flat, especially compared to the peak years of 2004 through 2006, when more than twice as many motorcycles were sold in the U.S.

U.S. scooter sales in 2013 were reported down by 6,363 units, which would mean a decrease of -18.6% from 2012. Although scooter sales are only about 7% of total sales, the dramatic decrease depressed the overall sales numbers. The drop in scooter sales may come as a surprise, because it was assumed by many that scooter sales would rise due to fuel prices.

Note that scooter sales numbers seem to vary more frequently than motorcycle sales, so any reported scooter sales figures should be considered less reliable.

Street bike sales were up 2% at 324,691 units compared to 318,105 in 2012, while off-road bike sales were up slightly with 73,371 sold in 2013.

The popularity of dual-sport motorcycles continues; dual-sport bike sales were up nearly 14% from 2012 with 32,979 sold in 2013.

Here's our updated graphic showing U.S. motorcycle sales from 1992 to 2013. These numbers are based on best available knowledge at the time and should not be considered exact, but rather as an overall general indication of motorcycle sales trends in the U.S.A.

Assuming a nominally acceptable market share of just 6% Polaris should be selling around 19,500 street units rounded. If the new Scout represents an up tic in interest lets project say a 25% share of all Polaris units and a 2% capture of other brands we have a projected build cycle of Scouts at around 5000 Scouts from the Polaris Group and 6000 Scout units from the remaing motorcycles sold, resulting in a total number of Scout production at 11000. If we divide that by the 52 weeks in a year that equals 212 Scouts a week. If a mid December launch had been Their original target approximately 1,500 Scouts should have hit the curb. It appears difficulties in production and other factors has prevented anywhere near those numbers from being delivered. Two conclusions can be drawn or inferred Polaris is taking a very small portion of the Motorcycle market. Or production is falling short of what the consumer has a right to expect. My hope is for improvements on both fronts or even better yet, I am totally wrong in all my assumptions.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hard to say... I expect Indian to sell as many Scouts as they can make.
That is the elephant in the room question have they over estimated ability to produce or under estimated demand. For now even those who took it all on faith are beginning to wonder.

·
Banned
7,192 Posts
I would hope both.. Manufacturing problems don't show up until your actually doing it... Then is when you fix the problems. (slow down).

And if people want the product, they will wait..
But it should be communicated.

I've lived manufacturing for 35 years.
Quality problems and delivery should clear up..

·
Super Moderator
4,908 Posts
I think Indian should give back the money to those who want to back out of their Scout orders.

For those patient individuals who want to wait, give them "real" production updates and a "real" eta of their bike.

This would address the bashing that's occurring and possibly stop the whine, piss and moan FB posts and emails they are getting.

·
Banned
7,192 Posts
I think Indian should give back the money to those who want to back out of their Scout orders.

For those patient individuals who want to wait, give them "real" production updates and a "real" eta of their bike.

This would address the bashing that's occurring and possibly stop the whine, piss and moan FB posts and emails they are getting.

Interesting... Here in AZ they have to give back, by state law..

I had 1500.00 down on my scout . When I asked for it back, They didn't blink a eye.

I'm told it's up to the dealer anyway.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Huskey may be right on this one.
I believe Polaris under estimated the demand for the Scout and then encountered issues in the production further exacerbating the problem.
They need to make it up to the customers that are patiently waiting on their bikes in some sort of fashion, and not just issuing a coupon for apparel.
And return the money put down promptly to those that are tired of waiting.

·
Banned
7,192 Posts
Husky has some good points every once in a while...:)
We'll thanks painter.. It's easy for me to be patient since I already canceled my order.. And pleased with my new '14 Rushmore RoadKing.

The only thing I don't understand is why Polaris just didn't come up with a monthly number of supply.. Rather then just taking apparently unlimited number or orders, up front.

In their defense, new product development is a can of worms no matter how much pre-planning is done. Engineering, supply chain, assembly and test... There are many layers to each part of the process.

It's not a exact science.. To me, the whole manufacturing process borders on a art form.. And it takes everyone communicating.. Adjusting, refining and over time improving how they add value to the product..

I think the Scout is a great product that we will have the privilege to watch getting better every year.

But if it's the bike for you.
I'd wait!!

G

·
i got mine late dec, enjoy it very much. My thought is the orders for the Scout far exceeded any expectations.Throw in a paint defect on gas tanks and the delivery system is compromised. Not a good thing, but it obviously happened.If thats all it is, the fix is simple.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I Agree with just about every conclusion reached or expressed here. We live in an age and have become accustomed to instant access to information and in many cases even product. Push a few key strokes and two days later its on your doorstep. It is an unfortunate fact that this freedom comes with the price of a lot of mis-information and personal spin and is often short on real substance. Polaris could have controlled that aspect by quickly alerting dealers to problems and explaing to buyers that problems occoured and that patience would be rewarded as well as appreciated. Perhaps an even more acceptable approach to the launch of the new Scout would have been to concentrate on dealer inventory and allow them to controll lists as to who was first and last at each location. Sort of a play on the idea all polotics is local. Just an idea on what might have been a smoother road to travel.

·
Banned
7,192 Posts
I cancelled my order in Dec. but I received this today.

Dear Jeffrey,Thank you for placing an order for a 2015 Indian® Scout™ and much more importantly, for your interest and investment in Indian Motorcycle®.The Scout introduction has been one of our most exciting and ambitious product launches ever. We appreciate your patience as we ramp up production and apologize that our delivery timing has not met your expectations. We have encountered production issues that do not meet our rigorous quality standards. These issues have limited both our ability to produce bikes, and regrettably, our ability to assign production and delivery dates for consumers who placed deposits for December shipments. As a Scout’s First Run owner your benefits will not be lost due to the delayed delivery.Our Spirit Lake team is dedicated to ensuring that every Scout that comes off the assembly line delivers the quality and performance we are proud of, and that you will be proud of too.We sincerely appreciate your patience. Please accept this coupon for $200 off Indian Motorcycle apparel to use at your local dealer.Download CouponWe will continue to send updates to your dealer as soon as we have additional information. If you have questions that your dealer is unable to answer or is not addressed in this communication, please call our Indian Motorcycle service team at 877-204-3697.Sincerely,

Steve Menneto
Vice President, Motorcycles

1 - 13 of 13 Posts