Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 Dark Horse with stage 1 exhaust and stage 1 air filter. 2300 miles. I removed the air cleaner cover and found a small amount to oil on the cover. I notice that there is a port that I guess is a crankcase breather. There was about a gram of oil on the cover. There was a little oil that have gotten on the paper filter. It was like there is a crankcase vaper from the port that accumulated on the cover. Is this normal???

·
Registered
830 Posts
I have a 2019 Dark Horse with stage 1 exhaust and stage 1 air filter. 2300 miles. I removed the air cleaner cover and found a small amount to oil on the cover. I notice that there is a port that I guess is a crankcase breather. There was about a gram of oil on the cover. There was a little oil that have gotten on the paper filter. It was like there is a crankcase vaper from the port that accumulated on the cover. Is this normal???
It is normal. I take the cover off about every three weeks or so and wipe out the inside. I have the high flow air cleaner. I have an 18 SFDH with 27k. I have about 17k on this air filter and it’s in good shape.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
somewhat normal. although yrs ago i had a 06 Rd king, i had a place put on a S&S carb.Oil was blowing out like a fan on a water puddle. turned out they put wrong carb on, put a E on instead of the G or visa versa.

·
Bronze member
3,652 Posts

Yep, that's why the breather tube goes into the air cleaner, to burn the oil vapor instead of going to atmosphere.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yep, that's why the breather tube goes into the air cleaner, to burn the oil vapor instead of going to atmosphere.
This brings up a question then. Instead of circulating the oil back into the combustion chamber, can one install a catch can to collect the oil vapor instead? I have this setup on my turbocharged car and it works wonders. The can gets drained with every oil change and no oil goes back into the motor. Just curious if this can be done on the bike as well.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
With many of the aftermarket air filter systems, we simply put a small separate replaceable filter on the crankcase breather line. If yours makes a fair amount of oil accumulation, then you can run that filter down to a low point so that it doesn't foul the side of your engine. Periodic cleaning can usually take care of the residue without any drips or puddles to deal with.

·
Bronze member
3,652 Posts
This brings up a question then. Instead of circulating the oil back into the combustion chamber, can one install a catch can to collect the oil vapor instead? I have this setup on my turbocharged car and it works wonders. The can gets drained with every oil change and no oil goes back into the motor. Just curious if this can be done on the bike as well.

Lots of guys just vent the breather line to atmosphere with a small filter on it so crap doesn't flow back into the engine.

·
Bronze member
1,603 Posts
Get a 12" section of hose and a differential breather and put the breater up into the frame through the factory fresh air opening. Oil mist is heavy and residual accumulations should drain back into the motor.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
Lots of guys just vent the breather line to atmosphere with a small filter on it so crap doesn't flow back into the engine.
If we get caught doing that here the EPA would have our private parts lol. Scott Lleland, Really if this was the first time you have the small amount of oil I would not worry one bit about doing a thing as it does not happen that much in most cases. I had small amount with both my Road Masters after installing the hi flow filters and after a wipe clean never had another drop.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts