Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I get to the dealer, go through the orientation part; all that stuff. Finally get on the road about 2:45. Everything is cool, I'm love'n it & we come to almost a complete stop for a light, so I kind of do a hole shot thing, I don't mean a real rpm shot, just you know; a feel the power kind of thing. The frick'n bike does a stumbled Kkk, Kkk, Kkk, Kkk, like the belt slipped on the sprocket, scared the crap out of me. It's totally brand new 4 miles on the bike. You know them little hairs on the back of your neck, I swear it wasn't from the cold, I felt totally duped man. Pissed, I get up the road out of town a little ways where I can get off the road, check underneath, give the belt a push up. It frick'n moves 2-3 inches, I'm like no way, it's actually flap'n it's so loose. The dealer closes at 3. What do you do, I'm 97 miles from home Saturday afternoon, colder than an outhouse in the middle of January with the door open & a belt that is probably jumping like a dang trampoline. Needless to say I brought it home at a slow pace, got it in the garage; the rear of the right side bag & the new exhaust has got belt dust all over it as well as the rear fender. I don't know, maybe somebody just didn't set it up right at the factory or maybe the dealer set-up man just didn't check the belt or drive train. Oh yea forgot to mention; also up around 55 to 65 or maybe under an accelerated load there was a sharp chirping noise coming from the right side, I figured that was the belt also, then I would let off the gas & it would stop. I will put it on the lift today & check some things out, but it's a real bummer man, dealer isn't open till Mon. I have never had any belt/chain/tension/driveline issues on anything before, Triumph, Ninja, Harleys, GSXR. Ride it like you stole it so to speak, right out of the crate. I just hope at the very, very least the tires are in line & belt tension is the only problem I have. That thing is so loose it reminds you of them kids you see on the street with their pants down around their knees. I will post up some pics later today to see what you guys think. I don't even drink but, I sure could of started last night. Thanks for reading the rant.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Id be calling the dealership asap and leave a message if they are open. Request they pick it up at their expense. Actually you may have road side assistance!
Hope all gets straightened out Nitescan!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I feel bad for you that your relationship with your bike starts out this way. Honeymoon didn't last. Work it through.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Bummer....dealer should have caught this on the pre-sale inspection worksheet. Who was it?

Reactions: Footpeg

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Sorry to hear you had a bad experience first thing out of the crate. I can't believe your dealer set the bike up correctly! Agree with others here...the transport back to the dealer or sending a tech to your place should be on them! Let us know how it turns out...and tell us which dealer you used.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The belt is definitely not right, it has so much slack you can push it up against the inside of the belt guard, probably even touch centers if the guard wasn't in the way. Wheel is off from one side to the other also, two notches; can't believe the frame would be that far off. About 8:00am tomorrow morning I will probably call my bank & see if the check was remitted, if not depending on my mood; stop payment. I don't want to monkey around with this thing, somebody at the factory had a bad day, then the dealer tech missed it, holy crap. I didn't want to make myself sick or I would of checked rear wheel to front wheel alignment. I also noticed for some reason all over the back of the bags & right side exhaust a blue patina color, I left it on there also for them to see; almost like a haze you get when things are cold & then start heating up. I will follow up tomorrow night, no sense worrying about it on Sunday.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Nitescan your story is atypical. In fact I have not seen another like it in months that I've been on this site. It is not a reflection of Indian/Polaris but rather the dealer. I would have a serious sit down with the GM and Service Mgr.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree Harry, emailed Serv. Mgr- Sales Mgr.- Salesman- plus the owner himself. I believe they are closed Monday also, so I will have to wait till Tuesday unless they check their voice messages/emails before then. Polaris/Victory reputation was a big draw for me after I had sat on the Roadmaster.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mate... no its in Bettendorf, I couldn't get anything going in Cedar Rapids, too much on dealer prep, fees.....etc. If you have been there you know they have a good rep, I just don't really know what happened here. I know the ball got dropped as they say.... but wow!! A real let down for sure.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
mate, forgot to mention, if you haven't purchased yet the guy in Lincoln Neb. gave me the best deal. Its just as my first bike away from harley in the past 10yrs I wanted a dealer close to home instead of 5hrs away. He even was going to deliver it to my door for free. He wasn't giving me as much on trade as Brennys but was still close out the door.

·
Registered
15 Posts
hmmmmm.....Sounds like they just considered the "Dealer Prep" charge as profit and didn't bother with the work portion of the job.
Hopefully they will get it straightened out to your satisfaction.
I wouldn't let'em off easy though. Use it to your advantage. They have to know they can't get away with this sort of shoddy work.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,354 Posts
Ok, so I get to the dealer, go through the orientation part; all that stuff. Finally get on the road about 2:45. Everything is cool, I'm love'n it & we come to almost a complete stop for a light, so I kind of do a hole shot thing, I don't mean a real rpm shot, just you know; a feel the power kind of thing. The frick'n bike does a stumbled Kkk, Kkk, Kkk, Kkk, like the belt slipped on the sprocket, scared the crap out of me. It's totally brand new 4 miles on the bike. You know them little hairs on the back of your neck, I swear it wasn't from the cold, I felt totally duped man. Pissed, I get up the road out of town a little ways where I can get off the road, check underneath, give the belt a push up. It frick'n moves 2-3 inches, I'm like no way, it's actually flap'n it's so loose. The dealer closes at 3. What do you do, I'm 97 miles from home Saturday afternoon, colder than an outhouse in the middle of January with the door open & a belt that is probably jumping like a dang trampoline. Needless to say I brought it home at a slow pace, got it in the garage; the rear of the right side bag & the new exhaust has got belt dust all over it as well as the rear fender. I don't know, maybe somebody just didn't set it up right at the factory or maybe the dealer set-up man just didn't check the belt or drive train. Oh yea forgot to mention; also up around 55 to 65 or maybe under an accelerated load there was a sharp chirping noise coming from the right side, I figured that was the belt also, then I would let off the gas & it would stop. I will put it on the lift today & check some things out, but it's a real bummer man, dealer isn't open till Mon. I have never had any belt/chain/tension/driveline issues on anything before, Triumph, Ninja, Harleys, GSXR. Ride it like you stole it so to speak, right out of the crate. I just hope at the very, very least the tires are in line & belt tension is the only problem I have. That thing is so loose it reminds you of them kids you see on the street with their pants down around their knees. I will post up some pics later today to see what you guys think. I don't even drink but, I sure could of started last night. Thanks for reading the rant.
My dealer (Indian Charlotte) gives each bike a 12 mile test ride as part of the dealer prep.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
UPDATE; it's 7:45 am & the dealership calls, it's the sales guy that sold it to me. I explain to him the same thing I had said to him in my email to them Saturday night, so he gets Service involved, they are going to come & get the roadmaster take it back to the dealership(100mi) fix it & bring it back. Well today was going to be one of the last so-called good days left to ride, a bit windy but at least in the upper 60's. So, I tell him if it would be possible for the tech to come here, he can use my lift & I wouldn't be without the bike & not be able to give it a good test ride, the tech agrees & comes here, arriving about 11:30. One thing I learned doing service work is, let's get the problem fixed & the machine back up & running, then let's sit down & see what will make him real happy. That's where were at right now, in the morning I will call them or maybe they will call me first. The problem got fixed, I went for a 130mi ride & all I can really say is HOLY S%$#, WOW!!! I'm sitting here about 1.5 hrs later & still can't believe what I just witnessed! It was that good, it is everything you guys said it would be & more. I can't really describe it. Out of site awesome factor!!! Harley What??

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
DUH!! Forgot the most important thing about this, thanks to all you guys for your comments! I like this forum & I hope it never changes. The other forum, you know the one, is sometimes very crass(for lack of a better word). Thank You Blue, I hope we do to!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
That follow up service was over the top good, wow ! Just wow, they knew what was up, if Polaris gets wind of it, who knows, but lucky there was nothing further safety wise and your okay.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts