Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's '17 Scout has been a very reliable motorcycle until a few weeks ago. I noticed it cranking slowly, and on one occasion requiring a jump to start. I assumed it was a battery on the way out. A bit early at 2.5 years, but not unheard of. I replaced the battery with a brand new Yuasa (load tested green). Same slow cranking. Has anyone experienced this or have any suggestions. It's out of warranty, but I'd take it to dealer except the closest one is 95 miles. Out here in the sticks we have to do our own work if it isn't a Harley or a Honda.
Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Silver member
3,324 Posts
My wife's '17 Scout has been a very reliable motorcycle until a few weeks ago. I noticed it cranking slowly, and on one occasion requiring a jump to start. I assumed it was a battery on the way out. A bit early at 2.5 years, but not unheard of. I replaced the battery with a brand new Yuasa (load tested green). Same slow cranking. Has anyone experienced this or have any suggestions. It's out of warranty, but I'd take it to dealer except the closest one is 95 miles. Out here in the sticks we have to do our own work if it isn't a Harley or a Honda.
There was an issue with starters, and Indian put out a service bulletin (or something like it) that empowers your dealer to replace for free. I'd call them

Edit: I should add that the fact you are out of warranty doesn't mean they won't do this. They extended coverage for (I think) 5 years.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
Very light-duty starter motors... some have had failures with high internal resistance causing the slow-crank symptom and very high battery draw. You may be due a warranty replacement under the known Service Bulletin terms. Starter motor replacement is straight-forward at least.

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
One of the guys I spoke too when I was at the local dealership had a Scout, he was there to have the starter motor replaced under warranty as the Starter is not strong enough to crank the motor so Polaris is replacing his under extended warranty .

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Yep, had to have the starter replaced on my 2017 Scout 60, starting with cranking slow, then it would take 4 to 5 tries for it to actually start the motor. TSB took care of the issue, once they put the new starter on, all you had to do was breath on the start switch and she was off an running. A trip to your dealer should resolve it, and by the way, the TSB says they do not even have to get authorization from Polaris to do the repair. Just order it up and install. A good dealer would have one in stock, as this issue has been going on a long time, but you will find, most don't.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts